Wear a skirt, be your own hero

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Wear a skirt, be your own hero

Post by Stu »

Article in today's The Guardian:

"From red carpets to skate parks, skirts are finding their way into more men’s wardrobes. Here, men share the fun and freedom they’ve found in wearing them"

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... he-garment
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wear a skirt, be your own hero

Post by STEVIE »

This is exactly the point Stu.

I wear a skirt, it's what I do, how I roll.
That simple, no po faced angst and earnest Freudian based reasoning, I enjoy it.
Now if the the next guy cares to try it, go ahead but either way, it won't really bother me at all.
Can't say fairer than that now, or can we?
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Gender norms have softened so much that he could leave the house in a skirt without thinking twice. Not so much for us oldies (with the exception of Stevie and others who have long past the threshold of caring).
I think the only reason women feel so entitled to wear the clothes they do is because they were introduced to it from birth. If that didn't happen there would be no such thing as women's clothes, only clothes.
I keep.remimding myself of this when my anxiety levels start to rise.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:07 pmGender norms have softened so much that he could leave the house in a skirt without thinking twice. Not so much for us oldies (with the exception of Stevie and others who have long past the threshold of caring).
Do you suppose it's "gender norms" or merely "attire norms"? Really, what we're after is the latter.

I know, for instance, when I head out for my afternoon meal (I keep "odd hours"), my "attire" and my "gender" do not align by any modern standard -- and that keeps me out of the "dating game". I'm fully male in demeanour, behaviour, and attitude; I just happen to wear female-marketed clothing. There's no masquerading or play-acting, my voice is my normal baritone, my hair is long as ever (and has been for decades), and my reactions are quite typically male but not "macho" (i.e. I don't pick fights and I don't argue needlessly) -- but my appearance because of my attire can, and has, even recently, caused trouble.

Folks, at least in the USA, tend to be pretty stupid, and that's the result of a few decades' worth of effort to deliberately dumb them down so they can't ask the sorts of "hard questions" that desperately need to be asked now. That splatters over into the ability to accept someone who merely "looks odd";
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

crfriend wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:27 am Folks, at least in the USA, tend to be pretty stupid, and that's the result of a few decades' worth of effort to deliberately dumb them down so they can's ask the sorts of "hard questions" that desperately need to be asked now. That splatters over into the ability to accept someone who merely "looks odd";
To be fair, this exact thing applies to much of the world, in general; not just the United Stupidity of Assholes. People in this country are especially dumb, though, and they've dragged other countries down with them.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The good old conservative UK is remarkably liberal and that's not meant to be labour a political point either.
Steve.