MIni Dresses & Skirts for Men

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
mr seamstress

Re: MIni Dresses & Skirts for Men

Post by mr seamstress »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:20 pm
Show me a man wearing one and I'll be impressed
On Pinterest you see men wearing all kinds styles of dresses. Below is a link to Pinterest with men in dresses.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/pageants- ... 679615367/

Are you impress by any these styles?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

mr seamstress wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:33 pm Are you impress by any these styles?
This works for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

mr seamstress wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:33 pm
Barleymower wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:20 pm
Show me a man wearing one and I'll be impressed
On Pinterest you see men wearing all kinds styles of dresses. Below is a link to Pinterest with men in dresses.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/pageants- ... 679615367/

Are you impress by any these styles?
I think you might have missed the point. The retailer was selling dresses as unisex. BUT they only show women wearing the dresses.
This epitomises the problem. The retailers are not brave enough to actually show a man in a dress.

Men can wear anything they want. Sure they can. That's why this forum exists because there's no problem with wearing what you want as a man?

Do I like the styles? Yes I did. I'd like to see more on the street.
Layne

Post by Layne »

The retailers aren’t brave enough? You like to see more on the street? How many of us are guilty of this? “I’d like others to do more.”
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Layne wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:35 pmThe retailers aren’t brave enough? You like to see more on the street? How many of us are guilty of this? “I’d like others to do more.”
This rings like the old classic of, "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

Bashing retailers here isn't going help us much. If we want retailers to recognize us as men buying dresses and skirts then we need become a voice of a group of buyers. This mean we need be more organize.
We can start by sending letters to Walmart home office and other retailers and demand that we men to be recognize its customer base who is buying what products to be represent as being said customer. We men need to start leaving reviews as the one who made purchase for themselves to wear instead of female.
If you want retailers to change, then we need start to making some changing on our own also. Who here is willing to give a review of dress or skirt with a picture of themselves in it?
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I think we are looking for problems here. Going into a shop and buying a skirt or a dress and trying it on first is completely straightforward in the UK at least. I can't see how marketing to men as well as women will change this. Personally I think we are already where we want to be. Retailers recognise our buying power and treat us accordingly - like any other buyer. There are social issues related to where we can wear them but that is hardly going to change because the skirt has been sold to us as unisex.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rivegauche wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:52 pmThere are social issues related to where we can wear them but that is hardly going to change because the skirt has been sold to us as unisex.
Precisely. Until there is a sea change in men's attitude to wearing skirts and other "open ended" garments, then the whole idea will go nowhere. It's the sea change we're after -- it's not permission (we already have that, although we get singled out and occasionally harassed), it's the acceptance and uptake that will drive things. Until men -- and women -- shift their attitudes, the current state of affairs is going to persist.
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

crfriend wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:52 pm
rivegauche wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:52 pmThere are social issues related to where we can wear them but that is hardly going to change because the skirt has been sold to us as unisex.
Precisely. Until there is a sea change in men's attitude to wearing skirts and other "open ended" garments, then the whole idea will go nowhere. It's the sea change we're after -- it's not permission (we already have that, although we get singled out and occasionally harassed), it's the acceptance and uptake that will drive things. Until men -- and women -- shift their attitudes, the current state of affairs is going to persist.
And the sea isn't going to change until we men stop doing things that is only halve way done. We ourselves are part of the problem. As long we give a blind eye to the fact retailers only gives a visual that garment is for female by having female models portray in it. We men cater to that false perception it only for females when we don't leave a review about the garment how it fits and feel on our body as male customer wearing it. Plus if you add a picture showing yourself in it from neck down would be beneficial.
We have to be more involve in wearing the garments and posting how we are not fully accepted. I have put out there a possible solution. Beside leaving a review we can start a campaign writing letters and demand retailers start using male models wearing dresses and skirts. Unless this happens nothing going to change.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

mr seamstress wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:06 pm Bashing retailers here isn't going help us much. If we want retailers to recognize us as men buying dresses and skirts then we need become a voice of a group of buyers. This mean we need be more organize.
We can start by sending letters to Walmart home office and other retailers and demand that we men to be recognize its customer base who is buying what products to be represent as being said customer. We men need to start leaving reviews as the one who made purchase for themselves to wear instead of female.
If you want retailers to change, then we need start to making some changing on our own also. Who here is willing to give a review of dress or skirt with a picture of themselves in it?
I have given reviews for skirts and dresses on Woman Within's site several times as that is where I have bought most of my clothes. I always say that I am a man and sign my first name on the review as well.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mr seamstress wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:48 pmAnd the sea isn't going to change until we men stop doing things that is only halve way done. We ourselves are part of the problem. As long we give a blind eye to the fact retailers only gives a visual that garment is for female by having female models portray in it.
You're leaving out the elephant in the room -- the women in our lives.

Retailers are not the problem, they're merely trying to put brass in their pockets and couldn't care less who or where that brass comes from. Until men realise that they can wear open-ended garments, and until the women in our lives also accept that, men are doomed to trousers. It's going to take both before it has a chance of catching on.
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

crfriend wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:59 am
You're leaving out the elephant in the room -- the women in our lives.

Retailers are not the problem, they're merely trying to put brass in their pockets and couldn't care less who or where that brass comes from. Until men realise that they can wear open-ended garments, and until the women in our lives also accept that, men are doomed to trousers. It's going to take both before it has a chance of catching on.
I didn't leave out the elephant in the room. I was counting on when men start posting pictures of themselves with a review that women would notice that there is men wearing the same garment she is looking at. We be having CEO's in home office of company recognizing who is buying their product and customers checking review seeing who has bought their product.
As long retailers are using female models only is going to make it harder for females accepting males in same products. This give them the false impression this product is produce for them only. Until this false impression women receive is ended it's going to be a long time until women accept us in such products.
I hope you realize it took over 100 years for man accept women in pants. Men hated women so much for wearing pants he created laws and put women in jail. In 1920's and 30's men divorce their wives because they went out got a Bob haircut that was popular at that time. I take these facts and more to my community in hoping in changing people minds.

You have to consider what it took for man to accept women in pants. Somewhere in there is the answer for us in getting women in accepting men in dresses and skirts just in reverse. Did retailers advertise pants 40's and 50's to women or was it just for males? Consider that what was going on before man accepted women in pants. By me posting this tidbit I hope I can get everyone in this forum put their thinking caps on.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

mr seamstress wrote:You have to consider what it took for man to accept women in pants.
The men were off fighting wars and the women were left to operate the factories, supporting the war effort.
mr seamstress wrote:Somewhere in there is the answer for us in getting women in accepting men in dresses and skirts just in reverse.
What 'job' is available where wearing skirts/dresses are required :?:
Get men to fill these jobs and, at least half of, the battle is over :D

Just my $.02 worth :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The mini dress on a guy is still very much alive and kicking.
Climate wise, not an option for me just now, but in summer!
As for coverage I agree with Al, normal underwear is not correct.
I will add shorts of the "booty" variety. Not much different, but definitely not underwear.
I want my legs to see the sun for a while and this is my way to go.
The current female fashion inspires it, but I was doing the same thing in 70s with an oversized t-shirt and gym shorts.
Back then it was bravado, that has matured into plain old bloody minded defiance.
The length of the top and type of shorts is just a matter of choice for the individual. Certainly no worse than the skirt over trousers thing.
Steve.
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:33 am The men were off fighting wars and the women were left to operate the factories, supporting the war effort.
mr seamstress wrote:Somewhere in there is the answer for us in getting women in accepting men in dresses and skirts just in reverse.
What 'job' is available where wearing skirts/dresses are required :?:
Get men to fill these jobs and, at least half of, the battle is over :D

Just my $.02 worth :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Your answer is more about when women started accepting wearing pants instead what it took for men accepting women in pants. Even when war was over men didn't fully accept women in pants. It was several decades later until man quit bickering about women in pants. Even in 1970"s schools prohibited females from wearing pants. I believe it had to do with when retailers saturated the market with female models with wearing pants before it sunk in man's mind that women can and have the right to wear pants, not before that.
Then there is this what we can do change things. We can create our own advertising about men wearing dresses and skirts and ask for donations in supporting that advertising. We can advertise to the retailers or to the public or just both. I am just an old bloke with this crazy idea.
We can wait for retailers pick up speed on men wearing dresses and skirts. Currently they are more on Jackets, pants and shirts as being unisex, but not on dresses and skirts.
We need to be more involve if we want things to change.

as for the job market we just need to convince retailers need to hire male models in wearing dresses and skirts just they did in hiring female models wearing pants before man fully embrace women in wearing pants. Uncle Al are you ready to be a male model for a retailer? I already know the answer. You just don't get paid for it.