MIni Dresses & Skirts for Men

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: MIni Dresses & Skirts for Men

Post by rivegauche »

My mother wore trousers in the 1940s, before I came along. She grew up in a religious community and got a lot of criticism but she refused to be intimidated. Despite this I never saw my mother in trousers until I was in my twenties.

Selling skirts to men can be a success. Top Man sold sarongs some years ago and they sold out quickly. I bought one but it sits neglected in a cupboard.

The main tool we have is leading by example. I decided to wear one in public after going shopping with my mother in a local supermarket where we saw a man in a skirt (with his wife and children). My mother said she saw no reason why men should not wear skirts. She was always fine with me doing so once she realised I did not want to change gender. It is one thing to lead by example anonymously but I draw the line at doing so in my everyday life and work. Quite frankly it is not the most important cause in my life and I do not want to draw attention away from these more important campaigns - it is as simple as that. I want to be remembered as the guy who achieved x and y, not as the guy in the skirt.

As I look down right now I see a brown print dress, sheer nude tights (hairless legs) and brown heeled court shoes. I also have a bra, bust, bangles, necklace, clip-on earrings and a scarf. I have good legs and a good figure and I know I look good and it makes me feel good. Dopamines. I know from lots of experience that going out dressed like this is good, but actually not all that much better than wearing this stuff at home - which I do most of the time - so I am not missing out on much. As I have said before I also do the whole crossdressing thing as well as the main in the skirt and if I go out dressed as a woman I use make up and a wig and attempt female body language and voice. I am actually quite good at this and have a very elegant woman friend who is happy to be seen with me in public like that. We have even had a two day holiday with me presenting as a woman throughout. I have observed to her that what I am enjoying on these trips is her company, not how I am dressed, and it is entirely true. Certainly it would be more comfortable to wear a linen or cotton skirt or even better a dress to the office on a very hot day but this is not a major issue for me. I am where I want to be so I will leave campaigning to the younger ones.
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:30 am
Now let's bring it up to date, several very major retailers, notably Zara, H&M, and Adidas, have all tried the unisex/skirts for men approach.
They all failed, so on the balance of probability what do you really think that a small insignificant group from an obscure corner of the worldwide web can possibly achieve?
Steve.
Some major brands catered to LBGT men not the everyday male who likes wearing dresses and skirts. Since some of these clothing identify itself as pride and stick out saying the wearer is gay, I avoid these attire. Some retailers will produce small array of clothing just for testing purpose and not ready to go full scale production. /i do not believe you are judging these retailers correctly. As for Adidas they are selling skorts to which is still form of a skirt with pants today as unisex.
https://www.adidas.com/us/dance-all-gen ... P2393.html
There is this brand Antheaa that makes unisex skirts. You have to live in India to get this brand.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

mr seamstress wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:19 am i do not believe you are judging these retailers correctly.
I believe that I am judging them very correctly, so I will leave it at that.
This discussion is leading us nowhere Mr S.
Steve.
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:55 am
This discussion is leading us nowhere Mr S.
Steve.
It's a matter if everyone is on board start doing things differently.
All these news articles has anyone notice what is missing about men wearing feminine clothing? If we focus only about fashion we are not going get as far we need to get. We are making more than just fashion statement and masculinity.
https://f-trend.com/blog/rise-mens-femi ... hion-trend
We are making equality statements not only in fashion, but everywhere else. We are giving equality to women and demonstrating how she is entitled in equal pay nor matter what we wear. When a woman walk through employer door in a dress and works with a man in a dress doing the same job, she should expect full equality treatment. In the workforce we impowering women and demonstrating that are clothes shouldn't be used against us, nor our gender. Guest what these news articles failed to tell women we are making more than fashion statements we are out there for you, the woman also. And we are letting all these news articles telling the full story how we are trying help womankind.
We can get together and start demanding that news media come clean and acknowledge how we are give women what they want as we men demand the same for us, which is true equality.
Has anyone here ever wrote a dear editor letter about men wearing dresses and skirts is empowering women? We can wait until someone think this is a good idea or we can start doing things differently.
It is a popular trend to make a fantasy PowerPoint presentation. If anyone is good in making a PowerPoint presentation would you make a point how man wearing dresses and skirts is benefitting women in the workforce? Instead of a fantasy we need a real PowerPoints presentation how men is making society better by wearing dresses and skirts and we need news articles that reflect this beside fashion and masculinity.
We can remain silent or we can speak up and demand they acknowledged our clothes goes beyond fashion statements.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

mr seamstress wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:38 pm We are making equality statements not only in fashion, but everywhere else. We are giving equality to women and demonstrating how she is entitled in equal pay nor matter what we wear. When a woman walk through employer door in a dress and works with a man in a dress doing the same job, she should expect full equality treatment. In the workforce we impowering women and demonstrating that are clothes shouldn't be used against us, nor our gender.
Excellent point. Of course, we are also calling for equality for women to dress any way a man can.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Not to be a contrarian, but I think we are being kind of disingenuous and a bit selfish to think what we are doing "empowers women". Yes - we are making an equality statement (of sorts) and we can direct conversations towards equality if fashion/clothing is brought up. But we are primarily interested in freedom for ourselves to dress as we please. Equality and such is a good and noble goal - but I have a hard time thinking there's a way to spin this for the general public as it seems a very superficial act when compared to, say, making good hiring decisions, setting equal wages, and so forth.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pmEquality and such is a good and noble goal - but I have a hard time thinking there's a way to spin this for the general public as it seems a very superficial act when compared to, say, making good hiring decisions, setting equal wages, and so forth.
Women largely won this by the late 1970s, and have since pushed men into second-class citizens thanks to the radical "feminists". This is about men's rights and men trying, once again, to achieve equality with women -- or at least to get out of second-class status.

Equality feminism is dead, and has been dead for decades; it's been usurped.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

Coder wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm Not to be a contrarian, but I think we are being kind of disingenuous and a bit selfish to think what we are doing "empowers women". Yes - we are making an equality statement (of sorts) and we can direct conversations towards equality if fashion/clothing is brought up. But we are primarily interested in freedom for ourselves to dress as we please. Equality and such is a good and noble goal - but I have a hard time thinking there's a way to spin this for the general public as it seems a very superficial act when compared to, say, making good hiring decisions, setting equal wages, and so forth.
If you are standing up for yourself for equal rights, then aren't you standing up for everyone else? How is this isn't good for society? Are you not saying no one should suffer discrimination for whatever reason? Do you think up your right to wear dress or skirt is inferior toward to your right be treat as member of the society as equal? I don't understand how you say this is a superficial act. What do you think it takes other than everyone having equal rights consider to be good for society?
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

crfriend wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:19 pm Women largely won this by the late 1970s, and have since pushed men into second-class citizens thanks to the radical "feminists". This is about men's rights and men trying, once again, to achieve equality with women -- or at least to get out of second-class status.

Equality feminism is dead, and has been dead for decades; it's been usurped.
Since 70's women have demanding equal pay for equal work. Even a lot has change not all women are granted equal pay.
The reason we men forbidden by society to wear whatever we want is because since 1850 because men been saying man can't wear dresses and women can't wear pants. Women prove men wrong about wearing pants. Today women has join fellow man still repeating man can't wear dresses or skirts because they are women clothes. We are treated as second class citizen because of that. We have to stand up just like women when they was told they couldn't wear pants. Just got to blame fellow man who hates men in dresses and skirts who started this.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

mr seamstress wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:20 pm I don't understand how you say this is a superficial act. What do you think it takes other than everyone having equal rights consider to be good for society?
I'm not referring to pleadings for equality/equal treatment as superficial - but rather linking skirt wearing (or more broadly, fashion freedom for men) to a strong message for equal rights. I just think for the general public there are bigger fish to fry, and a man getting to choose the color of his shirt (quite literally) doesn't rise up to the level of perceived unfairness. I think people see clothing as superficial - it's non-essential so to speak - one can do with the most basic/boring clothes and anything fancier is extra.

Look - if you or anyone wants to write a letter to the editor - do it. I'm not really trying to discourage others - just bring up some objections to this line of thinking. I think it's risky to make clothing/outfits a central issue when talking about human rights.
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

Coder wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:40 pm (quite literally) doesn't rise up to the level of perceived unfairness. I think people see clothing as superficial - it's non-essential so to speak - one can do with the most basic/boring clothes and anything fancier is extra.

Look - if you or anyone wants to write a letter to the editor - do it. I'm not really trying to discourage others - just bring up some objections to this line of thinking. I think it's risky to make clothing/outfits a central issue when talking about human rights.
Let me see now. A man wearing a dress and another man comes up to the man and tells the man if you don't quit wearing the dress I'm going to kick your butt. This is real not imaginary. At what level it would it take that the individual civil rights are in jeopardy? you don't seem understand a person beetling on you for wearing a dress not that important. All I can tell you if someone starts beating on you our shoots you, just don't call for help, because you see yourself are not that important. I have fiscally been threaten with violence just because I was just wearing a dress and also another person was practically demanding I disrobe in store, because my dress was insulting him. So these people are just small fish and police shouldn't help in stopping this type of abuse. You don't think worthy consider this harm as equal to other civil rights. No matter which civil right you have you should receive full same protection. I don't get it how you believe one civil right isn't worth protecting. All civil rights deserve same equal protection, because one just important as the other. This include the right to choose which shirt you want to wear. Business was burnt down for flying a pride flag. People harm each other over simple things as clothes and a flag. As you put it police has bigger fish to fry than worry about a business burnt to the ground over a little flag. A person livelihood went up in flame over a flag. This is real it did happen.
What will it take for you to see all civil rights are worth same protections?
It isn't the clothe you are just trying to protect but what is attach to it. And that clothe is attach to your body.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

mr seamstress wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:41 pm
Coder wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:40 pm (quite literally) doesn't rise up to the level of perceived unfairness. I think people see clothing as superficial - it's non-essential so to speak - one can do with the most basic/boring clothes and anything fancier is extra.

Let me see now. A man wearing a dress and another man comes up to the man and tells the man if you don't quit wearing the dress I'm going to kick your butt. This is real not imaginary. At what level it would it take that the individual civil rights are in jeopardy? you don't seem understand a person beetling on you for wearing a dress not that important. All I can tell you if someone starts beating on you our shoots you, just don't call for help, because you see yourself are not that important. I have fiscally been threaten with violence just because I was just wearing a dress and also another person was practically demanding I disrobe in store, because my dress was insulting him. So these people are just small fish and police shouldn't help in stopping this type of abuse. You don't think worthy consider this harm as equal to other civil rights. No matter which civil right you have you should receive full same protection. I don't get it how you believe one civil right isn't worth protecting. All civil rights deserve same equal protection, because one just important as the other. This include the right to choose which shirt you want to wear. Business was burnt down for flying a pride flag. People harm each other over simple things as clothes and a flag. As you put it police has bigger fish to fry than worry about a business burnt to the ground over a little flag. A person livelihood went up in flame over a flag. This is real it did happen.
What will it take for you to see all civil rights are worth same protections?
It isn't the clothe you are just trying to protect but what is attach to it. And that clothe is attach to your body.
that why I speak softly and carry a big stick.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:59 am
I do not need manufactures to show me what would look good on a male model
I think it's a chicken and egg situation. Do MIS influence other men to explore fashion freedom?
Do fashion houses promote fashion that the population follows?

I think it's great that designers and influencers are out changing people's minds. That's what they are by definition, they influence peoples decision making. I don't think mark in his stilletos and pencil skirts is changing men's wardrobes. I think he is carving out a niche for himself. Same with David and his flowing dresses, he's getting himself noticed, that's what he wants.

What I would really like to see is retailers stop marketing girly girly clothes to parents. It daily reinforces the gender roles we have come to expect. It's getting worse as well. The girls/women section is getting louder and brighter and boys / mens getting quieter and darker.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

mr seamstress wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:26 am
I hope you realize it took over 100 years for man accept women in pants. Men hated women so much for wearing pants he created laws and put women in jail. In 1920's and 30's men divorce their wives because they went out got a Bob haircut that was popular at that time. I take these facts and more to my community in hoping in changing people minds.

You have to consider what it took for man to accept women in pants. Somewhere in there is the answer for us in getting women in accepting men in dresses and skirts just in reverse. Did retailers advertise pants 40's and 50's to women or was it just for males? Consider that what was going on before man accepted women in pants. .
I am going to go with 100 years for the sake of simplicity. For today's MIS movement I will start with April 2000, when Steve Villegas founded the Utilikilt Company. Add 100 years to 2000 equals the year 2100.

Your Grandchildren might still be around in that year, as aging adults.

Part of the answer must be generational turn over during the span of a century. The old dinosaurs, with their out dated ideas, die off. Younger, more open minded adults take over society.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Grok wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:31 pm For today's MIS movement I will start with April 2000, when Steve Villegas founded the Utilikilt Company. Add 100 years to 2000 equals the year 2100.
That man gave me the way out of wearing skirts in private to wearing them in public. Took me until 2016 to find the courage......
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...