So my wife got me a handbag for Christmas….

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Seb

Re: So my wife got me a handbag for Christmas….

Post by Seb »

I used to use messenger bags but swapped to a backpack when I started biking to work, then we moved and 55km is a bit far for a bike commute. Backpack stayed though, I like having the two straps.

I have keyless entry and start, but my keys usually hang on a belt loop or in a pocket. I seldom carry more than keys, wallet and phone unless Im going to work when I also have a lunchbox, and thus bring my tiny backpack.

I get to carry my wifes huge handbag a lot when we are out though, always falling off my shoulder :lol:
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

My SO got me a cross-body black handbag a few years ago and I use it a lot. Not so much in the winter since when you wear a coat all the time outside, the handbag feels like overkill. But now it's warming up again I'm using it more often again. it's so nice to have all the important things in one place (especially when I'm carrying around different laptops w/ accessories at different times).

i can't find the exact model online, but it's similar to this one.

And yes, black goes with almost anything. I don't think I've ever had any comments about it.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

rivergauche and Mouse: Perhaps I’m an outlier, but, I had zero problem using a woman’s handbag from jump. I tried using a messenger bag, but, it just didn’t suit me, however, purses did, and I’ve never looked back.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

IMHO, in 8 out of 10 times, a purse has more organizational options than a messenger bag.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:53 pm rivergauche and Mouse: Perhaps I’m an outlier, but, I had zero problem using a woman’s handbag from jump. I tried using a messenger bag, but, it just didn’t suit me, however, purses did, and I’ve never looked back.
I think Jeff, it is just something to get fixed in my head. Nobody cares what I carry. All the time at work I am lugging round my office bag with computers, tools, cables etc. which is by the way black.
Today I am planning a trip to London to a model railway show and I am going take my bag! I am going with the bag matching my skirt, since the heels are going to be green.
My normal three, phone, wallet and keys will all be in one place, but I have thought, the bag can contain other things such as the ticket and any small brochures or bits from the show. I think there are definite benefits of a bag that will grow on me.
It will be interesting on how I feel in London with a bag. Normally I monitor the situation arround me constantly checking that my 3 valuables are safe in the pockets and I have my big computer bag with me. Today my 3 will all be in one place my bag. Of course many women do this daily so again it is just something to get familiar with.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I'm in the backpack team. The only things I always carry with me are keys, cards and an old (and small) phone, they go in pockets (*). Everything else I could need, goes in a backpack. Or if I'm not in a backpack mood on that moment, in a bag like this one: https://snipboard.io/NEBJkW.jpg
In general, I don't like things hanging in my neck or my shoulders

(*) If pockets are designed for everything to fall down easily, I fix it by adding zips. If no pocket on a skirt, I can add a belt and a small bag attached to that belt to mimic the pockets
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Mouse wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:28 am
JeffB1959 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:53 pm rivergauche and Mouse: Perhaps I’m an outlier, but, I had zero problem using a woman’s handbag from jump. I tried using a messenger bag, but, it just didn’t suit me, however, purses did, and I’ve never looked back.
I think Jeff, it is just something to get fixed in my head. Nobody cares what I carry. All the time at work I am lugging round my office bag with computers, tools, cables etc. which is by the way black.
Today I am planning a trip to London to a model railway show and I am going take my bag! I am going with the bag matching my skirt, since the heels are going to be green.
My normal three, phone, wallet and keys will all be in one place, but I have thought, the bag can contain other things such as the ticket and any small brochures or bits from the show. I think there are definite benefits of a bag that will grow on me.
It will be interesting on how I feel in London with a bag. Normally I monitor the situation arround me constantly checking that my 3 valuables are safe in the pockets and I have my big computer bag with me. Today my 3 will all be in one place my bag. Of course many women do this daily so again it is just something to get familiar with.
I understand that not everyone here can get behind using handbags, and that’s okay. It should be noted that I’ve gotten compliments on my purses from women, and that’s pretty cool. As for what I carry in mine, it’s usually my wallet, cellphone, car keys, house keys, a small pack of tissues and, on occasion, my Amazon Kindle when I want to get in some reading.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Thought I would add my 2 bits worth.

I started carrying a "Man Bag" like Bag #3 below after college when I no longer carried a Book Bag with all my stuff in it. I didn't like having all that stuff in my pockets, so I switched to carrying a bag.

The when I tried Women's Jeans, Leggings, Skirts and Dresses the pocket situation got worse and the convince of a bag where everything is kept was just too much to give up.

I wanted a smaller, lightweight minimum carry bag that worked with Leggings and Skirts, so I decided on this little bag, Cell Phone, Wallet, Car Keys and some change. No room for anything else.

When shopping for a dress, there was a model wearing the dress and carrying a handbag. I liked both the dress and bag, so I bought both. The bag carry's everything I need without the fully loaded day bag bulk.

Every Day Carry:
Big, heavy, ugly cross body bag, which has room for Wallet, Cell Phone, Car Keys, Spare Change, Meds, Flashlight, Utility Tool, Folding Knife, Water Bottle, 2-way Radio and other things I might need in an Emergency.

Obviously my shoes and handbag don't match, other than everything is all black.
I now wear slip on athletic shoes all the time. Since I don't go out like I used to, the athletic shoes fill the need for covering my feet, and I have not been anyplace where I might wear heels in years.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Mouse wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:28 am
So I went to London today, to a model railway show in an outfit with zero pockets. Therefore Mouse had to up his game with the blue handbag. The wallet was secured deep inside behind two zips and the flap, the keys were located in the back zip pocket which can be smoothly located to open the car. The phone was found a spot in the zipped pocket in the flap which allowed quick access to navigate the Tube payment system. Other bits and bobs went inside and off I went. The blue of the handbag was mirrored in the skirt and the nails.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Security wise I was very happy, since I felt I could control access to my bag while on public transport and around the show. Overall my experience was all good and I think I like the concept of a bag when in play mode.
The actual bag is made by J Wilson London and is called a messenger bag MB205 https://www.jwilsonlondon.com/collectio ... 2278724766
More pictures of the day can be seen here in my pictures area. http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 39#p257539
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

phathack wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:01 am When shopping for a dress, there was a model wearing the dress and carrying a handbag. I liked both the dress and bag, so I bought both. The bag carry's everything I need without the fully loaded day bag bulk.
phathack, I like this one, I can see why you went with it. I also see you have been sensible and going with the black which goes with everything. I think on reflection, that it would have been more sensible for me to have gone with the black rather than the blue.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I have many women's purses that are mostly black because they go with anything. I have basic cross body styles and also very feminine styles. I will not own an ugly man bag because they are too masculine and utilitarian. I like a women's back with a lot of interior zippers and pockets for organization.

Jamie
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

jamie001 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:19 pm I have many women's purses that are mostly black because they go with anything. I have basic cross body styles and also very feminine styles. I will not own an ugly man bag because they are too masculine and utilitarian. I like a women's back with a lot of interior zippers and pockets for organization.

Jamie
I have been on a bit of a journey from starting out in utility kilts where pockets are a feature, to manly/gender neutral skirts where pockets are deep, to fun skirts where pockets are either non existent or useless. In my non working time, trips to the shops were increasing being made with wallet, keys and phone in a shopping bag. Hence my dipping a toe into the world of bags. What, I in haste, selected on Amazon to be bought for Christmas, I find out now, is actually labeled a 'messenger bag'. I find the distinction between various bag types to be similar to the distinction between kilts and skirts.
I have decided that as in skirts, if it fits my purpose and I like it, then I am going to carry it. My trip to London was deliberately taken with a zero pocket outfit, to force me into using my bag and addressing any issues. What I found, with this particular bag, was it worked very well for me. I had so many zippered pockets, I had places for every thing. I also felt safe and secure with it in the city.

I don't know if you think my bag is ugly? But I have grown to like it. In fact I was browsing for a black bag (as many members have pointed out, black goes with much more than blue), and many bags I was looking at, didn't have as many pockets as my blue bag. So I have bought the same bag in black, since I found it in a bit of a sale. I figure all I have to do is move pocket to pocket and I will alway know where everything is, irrespective of bag colour. I don't think I want to collect bags, like I collect boots. But I do feel I have working bag solution and I have got over my initial reluctance to carry a bag.

Thank you all members who have given suggestions and tips.
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

If it's of any interest I got one of these a while back: https://www.mobilefun.co.uk/olixar-tact ... clip-85497
It's a bit bigger than a phone and has 2 compartments which nicely hold my wallet, a coin bag, some other cards and stuff and some keys. I used to have all this "stuff" in whatever coat I wore which meant I generally wore the same coat most of the time. (We live in north Wales so a rain coat obviously!) Now I use this whether I'm in a skirt (rare) or trousers.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I absolutely hate and detest (do you get the I don't like it?) the word "Man-Bag". There is no need for such as word in the English language. it is simply a bag or a purse! We don't call women's backpacks a "WomanPack" do we? See how absurd it is!

I will never use a bag that can be mistaken for what society likes to call a man-bag because they are uglier than sin!! There are so many great designs in women's purses so I am always carrying a women's purse. God forbid that I purse that I am carrying gets mis-categorized as a "man-bag" The HORROR!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:06 amI absolutely hate and detest (do you get the I don't like it?) the word "Man-Bag". There is no need for such as word in the English language. it is simply a bag or a purse! We don't call women's backpacks a "WomanPack" do we? See how absurd it is!
There is the funnier term of "fanny pack" -- and the ways that can be played using various cultural slang terms from assorted periods.
I will never use a bag that can be mistaken for what society likes to call a man-bag because they are uglier than sin!! There are so many great designs in women's purses so I am always carrying a women's purse. God forbid that I purse that I am carrying gets mis-categorized as a "man-bag" The HORROR!
I recall taking some grief at my local one time I showed up with my laptop computer and some wise-arse insisted on calling it my "murse" (there's another silly one). I corrected this clown at least twice, stating that, "No, this is my laptop bag." and finally topping it off with, "This is my purse!" placing my sequinned black clutch on the bar. That shut the wise-guy up and caused gales of laughter from the other guys who knew me.

Bags are neither female nor male. They are universal.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!