So my wife got me a handbag for Christmas….

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Re: So my wife got me a handbag for Christmas….

Post by jamie001 »

crfriend wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:20 am
jamie001 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:06 amI absolutely hate and detest (do you get the I don't like it?) the word "Man-Bag". There is no need for such as word in the English language. it is simply a bag or a purse! We don't call women's backpacks a "WomanPack" do we? See how absurd it is!
There is the funnier term of "fanny pack" -- and the ways that can be played using various cultural slang terms from assorted periods.
I will never use a bag that can be mistaken for what society likes to call a man-bag because they are uglier than sin!! There are so many great designs in women's purses so I am always carrying a women's purse. God forbid that I purse that I am carrying gets mis-categorized as a "man-bag" The HORROR!
I recall taking some grief at my local one time I showed up with my laptop computer and some wise-arse insisted on calling it my "murse" (there's another silly one). I corrected this clown at least twice, stating that, "No, this is my laptop bag." and finally topping it off with, "This is my purse!" placing my sequinned black clutch on the bar. That shut the wise-guy up and caused gales of laughter from the other guys who knew me.

Bags are neither female nor male. They are universal.
Right on! Great response CR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71BLHxNvEyE
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I have NEVER gotten any pushback whatsoever with my cross-body.purse. (Murse? UGH!).
And when I doll myself up I use mascara, NOT manscara.
Women are free to dress like.mem; it's time for men to feel free to expand their clothing and grooming choices to dress like women but AS MEN.

John
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

JohnH wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:51 pm I have NEVER gotten any pushback whatsoever with my cross-body.purse. (Murse? UGH!).
And when I doll myself up I use mascara, NOT manscara.
Women are free to dress like.mem; it's time for men to feel free to expand their clothing and grooming choices to dress like women but AS MEN.

John
Quite right! :D
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

At this time of year I tend to wear a coat or top, which will hold all my stuff and makes a bag unnecessary.

When it gets warm enough to do without a top I use a bag - a black cross body bag. I think that if you’re wearing a dress, the addition of a bag is neither here nor there.

With a skirt I might use a bum bag, which can be convenient. I used one of these with trousers for years. Even if you’ve got deep pockets it’s not comfortable with them stuffed full.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Midas wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:24 pm With a skirt I might use a bum bag, which can be convenient. I used one of these with trousers for years.
Although I call it a waist pack or belt pack, I make the same choice. Helps in remembering to take my wallet, pocketknife, keys, and phone when I go out.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Today after work I had to run some errands, and at one place the cashier shouted at me "I love your purse". I was a bit taken aback, and she apologized when she realized she had left me speechless. Obviously I told her not to worry, and continued my shopping. While I don't care what people call it, I bristle a bit at the word "purse" and always refer to it as a "bag", which is a terrible copout. My skirt for the day lacked pockets, which is always a shame.

Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Coder wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:54 am Today after work I had to run some errands, and at one place the cashier shouted at me "I love your purse". I was a bit taken aback, and she apologized when she realized she had left me speechless. Obviously I told her not to worry, and continued my shopping. While I don't care what people call it, I bristle a bit at the word "purse" and always refer to it as a "bag", which is a terrible copout. My skirt for the day lacked pockets, which is always a shame.
That is a great bag which shouts for attention. I am not surprised that the cashier offered a positive opinion on it. I think you like interesting items such as your watches and it shows great character to wear them. I think a small part of you is beginning to like the attention. Also I would guess that the same comment would have been made if a woman had showed up with the same bag?

As for terminology, I started out looking for a bag I could carry to fix my lacking of pockets. Along the way I have realised, from comments in this thread and more thought, that a bag you carry in your hand or hang from your shoulder is just a bag! The difference between a brief case, satchel, messenger bag, computer bag, etc is just size and number of sections. They are all either hand bags or shoulder bags depending on carrying method and handle length. Once you have the engineering bit of what you need the bag to carry and how to pick it up, you then move onto colour, style, decoration etc. Your bag is a shoulder bag in the shape of a piece of toast with a fried egg sunny side up. It is fun and used to carry what ever a human needs to carry.

The word "purse" is interesting. In the UK a purse is a small bag, most have no handles or strap. As a boy, I was given a purse to hold coins I was given as pocket money. Your toast and egg bag would be towards the top end or a large purse in my terminology UK wise. However I know you guys call trousers "pants" where we reserve the word "pants" for what you wear under your skirt or trousers. So I wonder if I am missing a US/UK language change?
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

As an American I use the term "trousers" for bifurcated bottoms when I post replies as that is unambiguous on both sides of the pond.

What amazes me is how little difference there is between US and UK English.

John
Seb

Post by Seb »

I also got a purse from my grandad when I war a boy, to keep all the pennies and pounds I kept finding on our walks from falling out of my pockets. :)

A small leather little round thing with a zipper, still have it lying around somewhere.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Mouse wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:57 am I think a small part of you is beginning to like the attention.
I'm sort of introverted - which is why standing out from the crowd is the last thing I want. Yet at the same time, I don't like anything conventional, so am stuck really in a place that is never happy. I'm a maximalist at heart, even if I don't achieve said look. If I'm being honest - yes - I do hope that it is noticed - but that's not why I use it. I like the idea of bringing people into my world of crazy ideas and fun things. Everything is boring as an adult, and there is NO reason we need to make boring choices - we have the ability to choose - for instance - the grasshopper-shaped stapler over the plain one - because we can. Both work equally fine, but one brings more joy into this world.
Mouse wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:57 am Also I would guess that the same comment would have been made if a woman had showed up with the same bag?
For sure. But what does one say? Obviously "thanks, It's great isn't it?" But does one say where one got it? Compliment them on something they are wearing? I just don't know.
Mouse wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:57 am Your bag is a shoulder bag in the shape of a piece of toast with a fried egg sunny side up. It is fun and used to carry what ever a human needs to carry.
Yep - the only way to make it more perfect would be to add a piece of bacon or two.
Mouse wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:57 am The word "purse" is interesting. In the UK a purse is a small bag, most have no handles or strap. As a boy, I was given a purse to hold coins I was given as pocket money. Your toast and egg bag would be towards the top end or a large purse in my terminology UK wise. However I know you guys call trousers "pants" where we reserve the word "pants" for what you wear under your skirt or trousers. So I wonder if I am missing a US/UK language change?
This is probably a UK/US terminology thing. Could also be my own internal dictionary, but to me a "purse" is a bag a woman carries with all her stuff. It's very gendered, and men don't use them for fear of... well all the usual fears of anything "tainted" by women using them. I personally don't worry too much about it - but it does come down to how people perceive me and what they are thinking.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Spirou003 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:43 am I'm in the backpack team.
So am I. :mrgreen:
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Coder wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:10 am I'm sort of introverted - which is why standing out from the crowd is the last thing I want. Yet at the same time, I don't like anything conventional, so am stuck really in a place that is never happy.
I empathize. What I really want is for people to notice what I am wearing, briefly compliment it, and then just ignore it.
Coder wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:10 am
This is probably a UK/US terminology thing.
Yup. US purse = UK handbag. I have no idea what a UK purse is called in the US: it's a little bag for coins. I often have a purse in my handbag.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:50 pm I have no idea what a UK purse is called in the US: it's a little bag for coins. I often have a purse in my handbag.
I think a purse as well?
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Coder wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:52 pm
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:50 pm I have no idea what a UK purse is called in the US: it's a little bag for coins. I often have a purse in my handbag.
I think a purse as well?
"coin purse" They aren't seen as feminine.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Jim wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:33 am
Coder wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:52 pm
I think a purse as well?
"coin purse" They aren't seen as feminine.
Yes - or “change purse”.