went out in a dress

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

went out in a dress

Post by timemeddler »

Okay I bought it from walmart as a night evening sleepwear item but wound up not feeling like changing to get groceries. So I just grabbed a jacket and went out. As I figured no one seemed to notice. It fits perfectly and got me wondering, why is it if men are supposed to be the lazy ones when it comes to clothes, yet arguably the simplest type of outfit that costs about fifteen bucks for a complete getup instead of having to buy a shirt and pants, doesn't have a men's version? Makes zero sense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: went out in a dress

Post by Barleymower »

TM I made a similar reply on another thread here it is again (slightly adjusted for this thread).

I think it comes down to childhood experience. If you tell a child something before they are able to reason, they will believe it wholeheartedly and it stays with them all their lives. God is a good example. There is no evidence either way of God's existence therefore if you are told a very young child about God, you are liable to believe it for your whole life.
I think it is there same for 'not for boys" and 'not for girls'. Girls have shifted that belief and opened the doors to all the stuff boys previously denied to them. The same cannot be said for boys/men. That door remains closed and the 'not for boys' state of mind is firmly in place.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

At the end of a hot day I will have a cold shower and change into something like that, although much shorter, as a night shirt. Quite often I get around the property thus attired doing garden watering and othe chores. Quite respectable really as women wear them out and about.
The only item in men's wear that I use in a similar way is a dark blue Bonds singlet top serveral sizes larger, which is long enough to cover the necessities.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

timemeddler wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:39 am It fits perfectly and got me wondering, why is it if men are supposed to be the lazy ones when it comes to clothes, yet arguably the simplest type of outfit that costs about fifteen bucks for a complete getup instead of having to buy a shirt and pants, doesn't have a men's version? Makes zero sense.
I think there are many all in one male garments, but none have made the main stream and some have been taken over by women.
Boiler suit.
Mechanics overalls.
Race suit.
Sirensuit - made famous by Winston Churchill.
Catsuit - Elvis.
Jump suit.
Onesie - Onepiece.
There was quite a trend in women's clothing for designer jump suits a few years ago. I think the popularity waned as women realised that going to the bathroom involved taking the top half off as well.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I wear dresses as my normal attire both in private and public, including shopping, church, and doctor appointments. I have gotten virtually no pushback at all. A dress is nice as there is nothing to bind at the waist and I don't have to waste time matching top and bottom.

John
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Yes, TM well done to you for getting out and about.
Dresses are highly versatile and practical too, really not a huge challenge for a confirmed skirt wearer either.
As for "all in ones", a piece of history,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:45 am Yes, TM well done to you for getting out and about.
Dresses are highly versatile and practical too, really not a huge challenge for a confirmed skirt wearer either.
As for "all in ones", a piece of history,
Such a sweet couple
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:08 pm Such a sweet couple
Circa 1977, a dedicated follower of fashion.
Crazy, heady days!
A strange thought though, the catsuit is essentially a bifurcated dress.
While I knew it was "different", I don't think that was in my conscious at the time.
A dress by stealth, hidden in plain sight.
I certainly never had a hankering after the dress that she is wearing!
Had that event taken place ten years later, I'd likely have been wearing a kilt.
In fact, her sister married in the mid to late 80s and that was my first foray into kiltdom.
Did it inspire me to take up the brave heart twaddle?
Maybe for a nano second, then I sobered up!
Today it's skirts and dresses, loud, proud and as unashamedly unambiguous as I can achieve.
Steve.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

timemeddler wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:39 am Okay I bought it from walmart as a night evening sleepwear item but wound up not feeling like changing to get groceries. So I just grabbed a jacket and went out. As I figured no one seemed to notice. It fits perfectly and got me wondering, why is it if men are supposed to be the lazy ones when it comes to clothes, yet arguably the simplest type of outfit that costs about fifteen bucks for a complete getup instead of having to buy a shirt and pants, doesn't have a men's version? Makes zero sense.
I’d wear that dress in a heartbeat, but, I’d add a wide belt in a light color, say white or beige to provide contrast.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.