Redbrick: The ‘Babygirlification’ of Men

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Redbrick: The ‘Babygirlification’ of Men

Post by Coder »

https://www.redbrick.me/the-babygirlification-of-men/

Article title made me look, that's pretty much it. I've never heard of this trend, but I don't spend any time on TikTok or social media in general.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Redbrick: The ‘Babygirlification’ of Men

Post by rivegauche »

I have never heard the word before but I have encountered the concept. I recall reading many years ago that male stars who attracted legions of teenage girl fans tended to look less masculine than most men because of their youth - lack of beard shadow and so on. This allowed them to attract young girls in a non-threatening way. I am just reporting what I read. The wording in this article is a bit vague but it could be that the author is suggesting that reading books is girly, in turn suggesting that we need not take anything this writer says seriosuly.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

rivegauche wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:49 pm but it could be that the author is suggesting that reading books is girly, in turn suggesting that we need not take anything this writer says seriosuly.
LOL - I missed that. I rarely take these articles as serious pieces of journalism (there have been a few exceptions). However... I do think others might run across them and pay more attention, I'm just jaded/cynical at this point.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:39 pm https://www.redbrick.me/the-babygirlification-of-men/

Article title made me look, that's pretty much it. I've never heard of this trend, but I don't spend any time on TikTok or social media in general.
Good find Coder. Babygirl is something I hear a lot from my daughter. Along with a lot of 'lowkey' terms are a mystery to me. I asked her to explain babygirl and she immediately rattled off a lot of names in the article.
This is a good thing, great infact. It's on your side of the world and on mine. Times are changing and Dad's will one day be seen sporting a skirt.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

It is really great to see that men are open to becoming more feminine in their clothing, appearance, and expression. Society is making progress. Maybe we can be a society of Bonobos.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

That's not quite what I had in mind
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:46 pm That's not quite what I had in mind
LOL. I was worried a bit about posting it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:05 pmSociety is making progress. Maybe we can be a society of Bonobos.
That's certainly not a world I wish to live in!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I've been called a lot of girly things over the years... never "babygirl" though.

The notion doesn't really bother me, but somehow I feel I'm too old for such tomfoolery.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

You can all relax, "babygirl", as applied here appears to indicate that a female is at ease in your company.
What it doesn't mean is that she is physically attracted to you!
Certainly doesn't and will not alter the usual rules of engagement as we see them anytime soon.
Sheesh, storms in teacups from nothing at all.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:29 pm You can all relax, "babygirl", as applied here appears to indicate that a female is at ease in your company.
What it doesn't mean is that she is physically attracted to you!
Certainly doesn't and will not alter the usual rules of engagement as we see them anytime soon.
Sheesh, storms in teacups from nothing at all.
Steve.
Apparently it's a good thing. Doesn't mean you are girly or a baby girl. It means that you are a older man that does not conform to gender norms. You are attractive but not in a in your face way. Women, girls, females like these men. In the same way your manhood is not threatened by wearing feminine clothes.
I'm also told this does not apply to me. I'm old. 🤣
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:29 pm Certainly doesn't and will not alter the usual rules of engagement as we see them anytime soon.
None of it does. And yet... is this death by a thousand cuts? Does this article reach only but a small portion of the population, and make it OK in their minds? And other articles reach other people? Nothing will be instant, but I've come to the conclusion I will die alone, so what does it matter?

A few years ago some (weird?) trend of guys in maid dresses blew up on TikTok (if Reddit is to be believed), may still be a thing. I even saw a guy in a nearby conservative town dressed in one (not even around halloween) and nothing came of that trend. Not that I welcome guys wearing black and white frilly outfits - but one wonders if such explorations makes people question why skirts are so gendered in the first place. Recently I was served two if not three Instagram suggestions where a guy or guys were dressed in women's clothes as a lark - not in a serious way - and the comments treated it as such. So no - none of this moves the needle or changes perceptions or behaviors. But I don't think we can predict what will become a movement, what will spur men to change their boring clothing ways.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:34 pm I'm also told this does not apply to me. I'm old.
That makes me ancient, thanks Miriam.
Coder wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:55 pm A few years ago some (weird?) trend of guys in maid dresses blew up on TikTok (if Reddit is to be believed), may still be a thing.
"Weird Things", like in the X-factor, the truth is out there somewhere.
The "real" truth would be weirder than any fiction, there is no "thing" that the human imagination cannot conjure up and find stimulating/amusing/entertaining.
The maid dress thing is part of the forced feminisation fantasy that men allegedly have.
Never experienced that one, I was a willing volunteer.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:46 pm The maid dress thing is part of the forced feminisation fantasy that men allegedly have.
Never experienced that one, I was a willing volunteer.
Steve.
I never really looked into the TikTok videos to get a sense of what they were about, but if that was the deal then well, yucky to air one’s ishes all out in public. It sounded more like the ice bucket challenge type thing, but my impression is from just seeing people write about it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Heh.... "babygirl".... that's hilarious! :lol:

Kids... ya-know!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.