A standard skirt for work....

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

A standard skirt for work....

Post by Mouse »

So for the last couple of years, since lockdown, I have been skirted at work. As some of you know I work for my own company designing and installing smart systems into big houses in London. My working skirts have been a couple of utility kilts and a couple of Skirtcraft unisex skirts. All has gone well and I have lost no clients over my skirt wearing.

A month ago, I decided that I was still playing safe and I needed to take the next step. I needed to buy a standard working skirt. So for the last n years before Covid, I always bought the same set of black jeans. They were smart enough being black and not blue, but hard wearing for what I needed. They were excellent, but very boring.

Hence I went on Amazon and searched for a black denim skirt, this is what I bought:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08XMWJP9R? ... CD622XVNNP

Now a month later, what can I report? Well the pockets are OK, could be bigger, but not unusable. The skirt is an inch or two longer than my kilts, but since the material is slightly stretchy, the skirt gives a bit, if my stride is extra long. The extra length and reduced hem, has been good in the cold weather. The material is hard wearing for what I need. My only problem has been when I was climbing on to a window sill...I needed more room than I had.

People still think, I am Scottish, it's a kilt. etc.

So now, am I happy? Part of me is very happy. I now know I have a working skirt which costs much less than my kilts or Skirtcraft. I can buy more as I need going forward. If I damage it on site, no worries. Job done in my new normal.
There is also a part of me which is shouting that I have become drab and boring....black jeans....black denim skirt....
The more sensible part of me points out that I can still wear anything I like and I have just given myself more options.
The more crazy part of me has gone and bought a purple tartan skater skirt:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08R9HPKKF? ... BP0AR34MSR Will I use this for work? Not sure, no pockets....but I know I am not boring and one day depending on client and destination it might be perfect!

I think what I am slowly getting to is a more relaxed view of what I can wear at my work. I defiantly do not need to shelter in the "its kilt" or "its a unisex skirt" and can just turn up in an off the shelf skirt as I have proved to myself over the last month. This also brings me to the point that you have all been shouting since the beginning of this post. "No body cares, it's all in your head" I agree, this is all what goes on in my head.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A standard skirt for work....

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Mouse wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:10 pm The more crazy part of me has gone and bought a purple tartan skater skirt.
Nice skirt! Being a wimp, I would probably go for the dark green one before daring to venture into purple!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Ah! A Roman Originals. I have two of theirs, including the red one shown below - and my most recent acquisition - the cargo skirt (listed as grey, but I would say it's black. My wife says the red one reminds her of the Virgin Airways cabin crew uniform.

Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:19 pm Nice skirt! Being a wimp, I would probably go for the dark green one before daring to venture into purple!
I have to say MB, that I really liked the tartan skirt you had on at the November London meet up, which was not dark green, but bright red....I think you are more daring than you think....Anyway, I decided then that a tartan skirt was in my future, but I like purple.....
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Stu wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:59 pm Ah! A Roman Originals. I have two of theirs, including the red one shown below - and my most recent acquisition - the cargo skirt (listed as grey, but I would say it's black. My wife says the red one reminds her of the Virgin Airways cabin crew uniform.
I quite liked the green, which I think you have in your collection?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'll start with a question, why settle for "standard", most females don't?
I say most, because it depends on the job and employer in question as much as the individual.
However, if a female colleague is free to choose then, in essence, so are you.
My self-set rule is simple, appropriate length and personal taste/comfort.
Within that, I will vary my workwear as much as my budget allows.
Other thing, dresses are an element I often use too, why not?
I'm afraid to say that we need to be bold and make daunting moves, reticence will change very little, maybe nothing.
Steve.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:24 am I'll start with a question, why settle for "standard", most females don't?
I say most, because it depends on the job and employer in question as much as the individual.
I was talking about fashion and gender with my wife last night, and she commented that if she worked in London, there would be pressure to conform to a dress code which expects women to wear either trousers (which she does sometimes by choice) or a straight skirt (which she doesn't like, and often doesn't really suit her). To break this code would seem easy enough, but it would have consequences: her usual A-line skirt or dress, though more comfortable and probably better looking, would appear less formal, less "businessilke", and place her in the "secretary" not the "manager" bracket, so she would end up being expected to serve the tea at meetings instead of chairing them.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Mouse wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:40 am I quite liked the green, which I think you have in your collection?
Thanks for reminding me. I haven't seen that for a while. I think it has disappeared into the great black hole void known as "Stu's Laundry". A green skirt hunt is called for.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:04 am To break this code would seem easy enough, but it would have consequences:

I daresay MB, those "consequences" are precisely why feminism and even, radical feminism is still very relevant in society today.
I did say that it depends on the employer and the job, but this goes beyond and demonstrates that elitist class structure is also still haunting the UK.
Gods, I despair!
Steve.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Fortunately I have total freedom in what I wear to work since I am the boss. However, I do care what image my company projects so I have to keep a certain line.
I think what I have achieved in the last month, is a new normal default for work which is a standard off the peg Amazon skirt at just over £20. This of courses doesn’t stop me wearing any of my kilts or skirts, it just gives me a new normal.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Maby consider wonder Wink scrub skirts. 3 Good large pockets, elastic waist. Assortment of colors. Light weight, Wide size range. Realistic pricing with a little hunting for a sale even better.
Multiple sellers online and eBay
Google wonder Wink scrub skirt. Should be able to find a multitude of sources.

I own several of them.

If I was a public skirter, these would be on my top 5 favorite skirts list.

Ok, they are on my top 10 list of all my favorite skirts.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

This is the main link to Wink Scrub Skirts :D
Regular prices aren't too bad either :D
Hope this helps :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Thanks for the idea mishawakaskirt and the link Uncle Al. I have found that I can get them on the UK Amazon. The colours are interesting too, I am contemplating 'Grape'.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:04 pm This is the main link to Wink Scrub Skirts :D
Regular prices aren't too bad either :D
Hope this helps :D
They look good and are exceptionally good value. I don't see why they are described as "women's" though. What is there about them which means they are only suitable for female employees? Perhaps someone should write to the company and invite them to market them as unisex.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stu,
They don't have to is the simple reason.
I wouldn't buy one for work because I don't like the look and the sizes I saw on Amazon are enormous.
Casual summer wear right size and I'd maybe consider, but I wouldn't be swayed by the "unisex" tag in the slightest.
From your reaction neither would you, or anyone else who has voiced approval, Wink Scrub know this very well and it probably wouldn't help sales either.
"Womens" in this context refers most likely to size, IE not for female children.
Sorry, I get where you are coming from, but it just won't happen.
It could also be that the employers who require the wearing of scrubs would dictate gendered dress codes, possibly even based on domestic legislation where "unisex" may be frowned on if not actually illegal.
Steve.