What have you discovered through wearing skirts and dresses?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

What have you discovered through wearing skirts and dresses?

Post by Midas »

I’ll start the ball rolling.

I have discovered colour. Having been a typical dark colours man I now know that pink, in various hues, suits me, as do several other colours I would have shunned.

Patterns, floral or otherwise.

That it’s enjoyable not to be invisible in public. I get more smiles than scowls and random conversation with strangers is more likely.
Bill

Re: What have you discovered through wearing skirts and dresses?

Post by Bill »

Comfort. Plain and simple.

I started out realizing that the lack of a binding inseam was more pleasant when driving long distances. Last September we embarked on a cross-country road trip and I decided to start the first day wearing one of my casual kilts. I took two kilts on the trip, two pair of shorts and zero pants. That first day was 400+ miles and I decided the next day would also be done in a kilt. And on and on. I have now work a kilt every day since last September 6th. We happened across a kilt store at the Mall of America on the return trip - my wife bought me another kilt, a utility kilt they had in my size.
If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Clothes can be fun and not just a daily chore.
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Generally how accepting and unaffected people are to what is unusual attire for a man.

A new dimension to a cool breeze.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Midas wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:52 pm That it’s enjoyable not to be invisible in public. I get more smiles than scowls and random conversation with strangers is more likely.
I will second that thought. Travelling on the London tube is so much more fun these skirted days.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

Putting a lot of thought into what I am wearing that day.

“If I wear this top, and this skirt…”

With pants, it’s grab this and grab that…ok to go!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

photoguy207 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:29 pm Putting a lot of thought into what I am wearing that day.

“If I wear this top, and this skirt…”

With pants, it’s grab this and grab that…ok to go!
That rings true with me! If I'm feeling tired or rushed, then it has to be a trouser day! And footwear suddenly becomes an issue.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Mouse wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:16 am
Midas wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:52 pm That it’s enjoyable not to be invisible in public. I get more smiles than scowls and random conversation with strangers is more likely.
I will second that thought. Travelling on the London tube is so much more fun these skirted days.
True, no one bats an eyelid. Found a tartan pencil skirt is often mistaken for a kilt, even when worn with stockings :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

In a nutshell: comfort. In hot weather it's good to feel a breeze go right up inside a skirt; you don't get that even with a pair of shorts. Also in cold weather you can layer up with slips and petticoats to keep your legs warmer than with just a pair of ball nipping trousers.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

skirtpettiman wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:13 pm In a nutshell: comfort. In hot weather it's good to feel a breeze go right up inside a skirt; you don't get that even with a pair of shorts. Also in cold weather you can layer up with slips and petticoats to keep your legs warmer than with just a pair of ball nipping trousers.
AMEN!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Procellis

Post by Procellis »

On one level - interaction with the fabric. The feel and movement of the material is a wholly new set of sensations. And the breeze.

On another level - interaction with your fears and preconceived notions of how others might react. Can I wear this here? Will I attract negative attention? Will I see someone I know? What will happen if I wear this not conventionally male garment out in the world?! And then you do. And it’s ok. Keep moving forward along your path.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

I have discovered clothes as something to get excited about. In my trouser days, clothes were bought to replace worn out ones most of the time. But now, skirts are bought for any number of reasons, colour, style, fabric and many others. This also applies to boots, earrings and hosiery.

The other thing I have discovered is that it is fun to change what you are wearing several times in the day.

I think I also now realise why women require so much wardrobe space.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
skirtedlondoner

Post by skirtedlondoner »

Definitely the breeze, comfort of movement and I simply enjoy how it looks and how the fabric feels while on the move.
A well chosen skirt with a linen shirt on a hot summer day looks a lot better and established than a pair of shorts as if we were schoolkids :D
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Agreed with most of the answers here, especially the breezy part and liking the interactions with the fabric. I'll sometimes grasp a bit of it around the outside of my thigh when standing and thinking over something, it's quite comforting in a way.

The main thing is realizing I have choices...rather than rotate through the same 2-3 pairs of shorts all week long, I can pick something that's more fun or suits my mood for the day or is more interesting to wear.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

For me, wearing skirts taught me many things that in a way fundamentally changed who I was at some level.

From the get-go when I first worked up the stones to venture out into my backyard the first time I felt that breeze between my legs I recall commenting to my late ex- that, "I've been cheated all these years!" A few months later, she encouraged me to go out and about dressed so, and that built upon my confidence that I can actually do things that may look frightening -- until one finds that really there is little to fear in this world.

Later still -- after her demise -- I discovered that I actually am a bit of an extrovert and am perfectly capable of operating by myself in this world, and have since taken long-haul trips and done astonishing things. It hasn't helped my outlook romantically, and older gals don't seem to find guys in skirts "exciting", or just plain can't wrap their heads around the idea -- and that's caused a few high-profile failures, one of which looks very much to be a blessing in disguise.

In short, it's taught me quite a bit about myself and how far out on a limb I am capable of going. It's made me happy; it's made me care about how I look; it's made me more confident; it's made me more outgoing. I'll call this a "win".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!