A change at work results in no skirting.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

A change at work results in no skirting.

Post by victor1964 »

While I have been wearing skirts for sometime at work, recent changes mean the opportunity to turn up skirted will be very very rare.

You may be aware that I drive London buses, I also am a trainer for both drivers and office staff. Wearing a skirt has not been an issue, I wear a uniform when driving and have uniform skirts supplied by my company.

On of my colleagues is joining the training school as a full time instructor so I have been asked to cover his role. One key component of this new position is driver quality and carrying out driver assessments. The problem with this is that the majority of these assessments are covert, it's rather difficult to blend in with regular passengers when you're wearing a skirt!

I actually needed to think long and hard before accepting and a key issue for me was being free to wear what I wanted. But in the end I thought I would accept.

Let's see how it goes.... 🙄
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A change at work results in no skirting.

Post by Coder »

victor1964 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:14 pm The problem with this is that the majority of these assessments are covert, it's rather difficult to blend in with regular passengers when you're wearing a skirt!
One suggestion - wear your skirt under a beige trenchcoat while wearing a pair of these:

I guarantee they won't suspect a thing :lol:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

:lol:
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

victor1964 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:14 pm While I have been wearing skirts for sometime at work, recent changes mean the opportunity to turn up skirted will be very very rare.

You may be aware that I drive London buses, I also am a trainer for both drivers and office staff. Wearing a skirt has not been an issue, I wear a uniform when driving and have uniform skirts supplied by my company.

On of my colleagues is joining the training school as a full time instructor so I have been asked to cover his role. One key component of this new position is driver quality and carrying out driver assessments. The problem with this is that the majority of these assessments are covert, it's rather difficult to blend in with regular passengers when you're wearing a skirt!

I actually needed to think long and hard before accepting and a key issue for me was being free to wear what I wanted. But in the end I thought I would accept.

Let's see how it goes.... 🙄
Did someone have a word with you and express their concerns with you wearing a skirt while performing the role?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:42 pmDid someone have a word with you and express their concerns with you wearing a skirt while performing the role?
I'd find that unlikely. Face it, any guy in a skirt is going to attract attention, and since it's already out that the OP wears skirts new drivers may be on the lookout for an Inspector in a skirt. Thus, clandestine behaviour is sometimes called for professionally. We can call it "occupational camouflage".

In the classroom, wearing skirts will be one thing; out in the field it'll be something else. This should not have any bearing on what the OP wears in his time off, however -- although if he observes bad operational behaviour then he's well within his rights to bring that up no matter what he's wearing at the time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Sometimes I take the campus buses, and one time an instructor was observing/instructing a driver. She (instructor) was wearing 2" heels (not block!) and standing up the entire time while the student (in both senses of the word, as students drive our busses) proceeded down the road (eventually slow-hitting a curb, which resulted in no damage and just a word of correction). Presumably you wear flatter shoes, but would you do in-vehicle instructions skirted?

As for the idea of having an anonymous inspector in the back is very intriguing... at times I feel the drivers are going warp speed - I've clocked them 5mph+ over in some areas (we do have stretches that are 35mph with no stops). In all seriousness (despite my earlier post) would you have to wear a disguise of sorts? Presumably the bus' are only front-entrance? So you have to pass by the driver? Obviously if you can't divulge any secrets, I understand :D
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

You could go the other way and rock a full goth look as a disguise...
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:42 pm Did someone have a word with you and express their concerns with you wearing a skirt while performing the role?
Hi BM, no one has had a word... this is just my opinion. To do covert assessments without drawing attention to myself i need to blend in, a skirt would just shout "assessment". Given that I am well known to all the drivers because I trained a lot of them and I'm known for my skirt wearing. It is just a case of wearing clothes appropriately for the job in hand. Just like wearing trousers and safety boots on site.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Seems sensible to me: if you are known for wearing skirts, then trousers are the ultimate disguise!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

victor1964 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:25 am
Hi BM, no one has had a word... this is just my opinion. To do covert assessments without drawing attention to myself i need to blend in, a skirt would just shout "assessment". Given that I am well known to all the drivers because I trained a lot of them and I'm know for my skirt wearing. It is just a case of wearing clothes appropriately for the job in hand. Just like wearing trousers and safety boots on site.
Vic, I can see a situation where if they see a man in a skirt then it's highly likely its you come to covertly watch their progress.
Sounds like a change to the usual and maybe a bit of added interest.
Screenshot_20240226_122119_DuckDuckGo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Barleymower on Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

If you are already well known to drivers you’re going to have to wear a disguise anyway. You have to be the “grey man” and blend in. Dress in a similar fashion to other passengers depending on time of day
:roll:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

victor1964 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:14 pm I actually needed to think long and hard before accepting and a key issue for me was being free to wear what I wanted. But in the end I thought I would accept.
Just a thought, how "free" is your option to refuse and could that have implications for your future career?
Not necessarily the ultimate deal breaker, but is there a financial incentive?
I have often said that there is a misconception about men's rights to wear skirts at work and broadly speaking, the employer can dictate.
However, we are in a similar position, we have been "permitted" and it would be difficult for them to rescind it.
Why not bribe someone from the cafe to do it as your understudy?
In reality though, if you enjoy it, trousers aren't the end of the world, more than half the population wear the damn things!
Steve.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

There's something else to consider about this 'situation'. Not just the skirt but his over-all appearance.
Change the hair color, beard color, add some fake glasses. If he has taught in a classroom atmosphere,
then 99%(+/-) have seen him and knows what he looks like.

Some hair color brands are wash-in/wash-out. Maybe include a short haired wig to cover his own hair,
if he doesn't want to change the color. If victor1964 has a friend in a theater group, he/she could help
with the 'make-up' to change his appearance. Think of the Reality TV show - Undercover Boss.
Now we have - Undercover Boss - Bus Driver Edition :D

Just my $.02 worth, but worth thinking about :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

victor1964 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:14 pm Let's see how it goes.... 🙄
Victor, it has been over a month and I wondered how things were going?
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

Mouse wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:00 am
victor1964 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:14 pm Let's see how it goes.... 🙄
Victor, it has been over a month and I wondered how things were going?
Hi there Mouse,

Early days yet.... I've only been in position for the last two weeks due to haggling over terms & conditions, but all sorted now.

I still get away with skirting on a Monday as I know I will be in the office all day due to me covering a long term sick colleague. I am one of the few who knows how to do payroll for our vehicle engineers so I am deskbound for the one day. As for the rest of the week its trousers, I never know when or where I will be needed to visit a driver out on the road.

One thing I have noticed when I'm not skirting is that I don't care too much about clothes matching. T-shirt, jumper, trousers and shoes are just thrown on without much thought. When in a skirt everything has to match, including my underwear and socks. Very strange :lol: