More gender neutral retail

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

More gender neutral retail

Post by rivegauche »

This time it goes beyond trousers for women. Initially I thought just in America but I think Urban Outfitters also in UK.

https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-sc ... 236204140/
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Re: More gender neutral retail

Post by shadowfax »

rivegauche wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:22 pm This time it goes beyond trousers for women. Initially I thought just in America but I think Urban Outfitters also in UK.

https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-sc ... 236204140/
Yes. Urban Outfitters have 10 stores/shops around the London area then mail order for the rest of the UK.
https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/en-gb/
I later discovered that this was incorrect information.
Please read later posts by myself and others, for the correct information.

I searched their website for Wildfang but there were no hits as yet.
Last edited by shadowfax on Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

https://www.wildfang.com/

The UO collaboration doesn't appear to have actually started yet so, can't comment except don't expect cheap.
The Wildfang link produced a curious result.
For a brand that promotes gender neutrality, they appear to have missed something, guys!
That site suggested a whole different set of stereotypes to me and certain members of the cafe would be well advised to avoid it.
Not sold on them, but I am curious as to how this will be marketed to Joe Public.
It may never reach the UK , but I'd bet it will be included in a clearance rail near you very soon.
I just cannot see anything here, which gives it any edge over all the previous failed attempts.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:10 amThe Wildfang link produced a curious result.
For a brand that promotes gender neutrality, they appear to have missed something, guys!
That site suggested a whole different set of stereotypes to me and certain members of the cafe would be well advised to avoid it.
I was struck by that as well, and the use of cadaverous "models" where the boys are indistinguishable from the girls doesn't help matters any.

There was nothing in there that even hinted at proper open garments for men as all the "skirts" were being worn by the girls and the boys all had on trousers and heavy boots -- not an attractive look.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

shadowfax wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:38 am Yes. Urban Outfitters have 10 stores/shops around the London area then mail order for the rest of the UK.
https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/en-gb/
That stuff in the men's section seemed pretty cool. Didn't see any skirts, but that's okay. I know we've often complained that men's styles are bland and boring, but I felt like many of the styles were alive and colorful.

And the prices are not unrealistic... average around $60 for a pair of pants... the full ensemble could probably be procured for under $200, which is about the cost of two dinners at a casual dining restaurant.

I wouldn't mind piecing together something like that.

Thumbs up!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Urban outfitters have shops in every major UK city. My offspring buy clothes there. They are well overpriced and the target market seems to be teenage to mid 20s. Not for old giffers in skirts and dresses, like us.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Midas wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:39 pm Not for old giffers in skirts and dresses, like us.
Forever young man! Forever young!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:21 pm
Midas wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:39 pm Not for old giffers in skirts and dresses, like us.
That goes without saying; you don’t need to dress like a teenager to stay young but do enough exercise throughout your life to achieve this. Dressing like a teenager is more the stuff of the midlife crisis.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Midas wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:39 pm Urban outfitters have shops in every major UK city. My offspring buy clothes there. They are well overpriced and the target market seems to be teenage to mid 20s. Not for old giffers in skirts and dresses, like us.
Every major UK city seems to be London, Oxford and Guildford. Do you wonder why those of us in Scotland Wales and N Ireland think the UK is anglocentric? You do this without thinking. That's the problem. We are not even an afterthought - we are not thought of at all. Except when the English get fed up of us complaining about being ignored.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

Midas wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:10 pm
moonshadow wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:21 pm
That goes without saying; you don’t need to dress like a teenager to stay young but do enough exercise throughout your life to achieve this. Dressing like a teenager is more the stuff of the midlife crisis.
Aye. I do constitutionals on a daily basis to keep a relatively slender build, specifically in the legs. It also allows for creative ideas to flow inside my head.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Rivegauche

I did a quick Google search and it appears that UO are present in all parts of the U.K. when if they are not in all major cities (None in Aberdeen).

Normally I’d echo your comments which are utterly valid (look how many people stupidly conflate England with the UK) - but in this case, Urban Outfitters do appear to be U.K.-wide. In that sense, Midas is right.

Ray
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Ray wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:36 pm look how many people stupidly conflate England with the UK)
Aberdeen doesn't even have a John Lewis anymore, which says it all really.
Then again, neither does Peterborough, so all's fair in love and recession I suppose.
The concept of Aberdeen being a "major" city nowadays is something bittersweet for many, a fading memory.
A bit like, the UK still being a world superpower.

Steve.
The Peterborough branch was the first JL branch I ever visited, fifty plus years ago.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

My Google searches revealed only the Oxford and Guildford branches outside London. A bit odd having more than one map of branches. Glad to hear there are more, not so much because I want to go there, but because so many shops are closing. I used to love the John Lewis shop in Aberdeen and Long Tall Sally was more or less across the road. I Haven't been to Aberdeen since before covid hit but another of Scotland's cities, Dundee, hardly has any major shops left. Elgin is even more depressing. I put this down to people doing their clothes shopping online and I will never go there. I have never bought anything from Amazon and I never will. Use it or lose it, people. Also if you think there are too few nurses and Police officers, transfer your business to companies that pay corporation tax - avoid Amazon and Vodaphone.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

rivegauche wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:50 pm My Google searches revealed only the Oxford and Guildford branches outside London. A bit odd having more than one map of branches. Glad to hear there are more, not so much because I want to go there, but because so many shops are closing.
Urban Outfitters website team need to sort out their store locator page! :(
It pre-fills the page, with the location as "GV2H+2X London, UK" and the distance of the search as "25 miles"! Useless! :roll:
I changed the location to "Glasgow, UK" and set the maximum search distance as 100 miles and it found UO stores in Glasgow and Edinburgh.
If they changed the maximum search distance to more than 100 miles (500 miles say) it would find a lot more UO shops.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

shadowfax wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:38 pm If they changed the maximum search distance to more than 100 miles (500 miles say) it would find a lot more UO shops.
One would have to be a rabid, not dedicated, follower of fashion to travel 5 miles let alone 500 for that.
Stepping away from the national prejudice issue, this really won't have any benefit to MIS.
Also worth noting, search Wildfang on the Urban Outfitters site produces no result.
As for their own site, my impression is "butch/masculine", but without men and still trading on that stereotypical view.
Steve.