My slip is showing!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
big_daddy_thong

My slip is showing!

Post by big_daddy_thong »

Recently I bought a thrift store skirt with a slip liner sewn into the waist line. While I do understand the need for slips or liners. So every time I sat down the slip slid past my knee hem line. I however am not a big fan. They my be good of an extra layer of warmth in cold and windy weather and an added shield of modesty. The extra fabric for me anyway seems a waste of fabric in some cases. Since in cold weather I wear thermal leggings so no need for a slip. I took out the scissors t remove the liner. I have also done this with some pairs of skorts in the summer when it is hot.
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Re: My slip is showing!

Post by skirtpettiman »

I always wear slips with my skirts. They help the skirt to hang better; sometimes the skirt can cling to stockings causing bunching. They also protect the skirt from sweat so you only need to wash a separate lightweight slip rather than a much heavier skirt which will make the skirt last much longer. In cold weather I also wear a fluffy petticoat which provides really good insulation. Yes the skirt can ride up a bit when seated causing the slip to show a bit but I don't let that bother me too much especially if the slip closely matches the colour of my skirt or my over the knee socks I wear at this time of year.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I concur that slips are often a practical part of wearing skirts; for anti-cling; for extended skirt life; for warmth; and just friction comfort on some fabrics and styles. I find keeping, a range of lengths in white, beige/nude, and black pretty much covers most any circumstance. I must say it took a bit of internal psychological adjustment to the lace and frills that seem almost inevitable with them, silly as that is, but rarely is "my slip showing" and hopefully if commented upon it easily opens the door to 'education and conversation'! I have found them especially useful this past couple of months in the PNW as an extra layer for warmth, as they can make a remarkable difference despite their light weight. I know the ladies have pretty much given up the slip, and more -- just another sign society still has its ways of imposing conformity and we men have our glass ceilings too.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:07 am I know the ladies have pretty much given up the slip, and more
My mother still wears them, but she's 88. I remember as a child looking at her collection of slips, stockings, bras, suspender belts and such, and thinking that I was very glad I didn't have to wear such complicated clothing. The dress, on the other hand, I have long envied on the grounds of simplicity.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

For a few years now I've been using cotton "T-shirt extenders" as an alternative to a slip. (just pop that phrase into your favorite search engine) They're designed to be worn as a layering piece but if you wear them low they function quite nicely as a slip.

They are thicker and more functional for the kind of skirts I wear and don't have the extraneous lace and so on. They also don't seem to have an issue with static electricity like silkier fabrics do, which I appreciate. A lot of them come in 20" length which is a bit long for me but you can find them in the 14"-ish range which works well.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

The Wikipedia has an entry for slips and mentions men using of the slip:
"Although slips are primarily marketed as women's clothing, the technical gender-neutrality of the garment is such that men who wear unbifurcated lower-body apparel (as has been done historically across the world and contemporarily prevails still in many parts of the world) occasionally wear them. Men who choose to wear slips often wear black half-slips with minimal or no lace. Kilts often come with “kilt-liners,” which are essentially size-tailored half-slips."
Nice!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I routinely wear full slips under my dresses, not just because they prevent against static cling as mentioned by Faldaguy, but because I like them and they’re part of my wardrobe. I have slips in several different lengths, from 18 inches to 32 depending on the hemline of the dress I wear with it. I also have half slips for spring/summer dresses with cami strap bodices.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

Whilst viewing The Skirted Man's website I discovered he is a fan of slips and sometimes even deliberately wears them so they show a bit below the skirt hem! Check out the following link:

https://www.theskirtedman.co.uk/index.p ... l-camisole

A man after my own heart I think.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

it's an extra layer, handy to have when you live in areas with winters that go well below freezing.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

I have not worn a slip, but I do have several wool skirts that, had they not had linings, I would have worn between them and my skin. The idea of more layers doesn't appeal to me but some wool can be terribly scratchy.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

They don't call them slips for nothing because of their liability to show. I have never worn a slip but some of my mini skirts have a lining which can't slip. One mini has a lining with a pink lace hem designed to show, which looks rather cute but I haven't worn it in public yet. The things that I wear that is closest to a separate slip is men's shirts that are so long that they can show below some of my shorter minis if I don't hoist a bit of shirt up above my waist, which I tend to do anyway.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia