Am I Still Welcome Here?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Am I Still Welcome Here?

Post by Ray »

Jeff,

Don’t you dare leave! You’re an inspiration to so many of us - not necessary because of your particular clothing direction, but more because of your “can do” attitude.

This isn’t HHPlace. We’re a bit more tolerant here. Well, most of us ;-)
papato15

Post by papato15 »

You are most certainly still welcome here. I have tried wearing dresses, but unfortunately I do not look good in a dress. I'm sure that's because I'm a guy with no since of fashion. With skirts I just treat it as wearing shorts, with men's shirts, shoes and sometimes even a ballcap. I'll stick to wearing skirts when I can. I hope to have a skirted outing tomorrow. I'll post about it if it happens.

Glenn
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

For discussion here, dresses certainly fit in, because like skirts they are open ended garments.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and encouragement. It’s very much appreciated.

As new2skirts and Ray can tell you, I used to be a member of HHPlace, in the beginning, I was content to wear heels with men’s clothing, but, over time, I ditched jeans and pants for skirts, then men’s tops for women’s, followed by handbags, jewelry and, finally, dresses. From that moment on, heels went from the be all and end all to just an accessory as I was more about the complete outfit and not just what I wore on my feet. Most of the time, I rarely sported heels higher than three inches on my outings, often lower, and during summer, I lived for my flat sandals. Problem was, my appearance didn’t at all sit well with one of the mods because I was no longer about just heels, he openly griped about that, even saying I had ventured into crossdressing, despite not wearing wigs, padded bras or makeup. Those comments made me feel unwelcome, and while I wasn’t asked to leave the site, I decided to do just that, and I haven’t looked back.

Now you know why I created this thread as I wondered if history was repeating itself here as I’m gradually moving on from skirts in favor of dresses. I’m glad that’s not the case, and, again, I appreciate the support.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

A few other members have expressed an interest in dress like garments.

I also felt out of place myself. I used to look at X Marks The Scott. Basically a kilting forum. An emphasis on Celtic heritage. The most important topic was traditional kilts, plus related regalia, etc. Utility kilts are an acceptable topic, though that is more of an American thing.

For some reason I felt uncomfortable. One day, somebody started a new thread about "those other MUGs." (MUG = Male Unbifurcated Garment). The new thread was immediately shut down by a moderator. At that point I decided that the permissible topics were a bit too restrictive for my tastes.

I recall that a few free stylers came to Skirt Cafe because they didn't feel welcome at tranny forums.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I too used to look at X marks the Scot some years ago. It was OK for me at the time, but I have found this forum to be very welcoming and inclusive, even with all the occasional gripes caused by those pesky human beings. It's good to find a place where you can share thoughts and ideas with people who you don't actually agree with on a lot of things: such a valuable counter to the internet's dreaded echo-chamber effect.

I only have a couple of dresses, and wear them very rarely, as I find them hard to style for men, and neither I nor my wife are happy with a cross-dressing vibe. But I'm happy to know of other people's experiences with them.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Inclusive indeed. One could say that the membership is a spectrum. At one end are a few Braveheart, who emphasize a masculine version of MIS. Towards the other are freestylers. A few members who have femme temperaments. Plus probably a few individuals who don't quite into this spectrum. Hard to generalize with this membership, other in an interest in wearing one pipe.

And of course, the membership is international.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Jeff, I'm another who says you are more than welcome. It's a long time since I saw you post a photo of yourself in a skirt, so we're all used to your dresses. And you satisfy the main criterion of presenting as a man, so you're on the same team as the rest of us!

You and the other dress wearers have inspired me to invest in a few myself. So far the only successful ones have been sweater dresses which are completely rectangular, making no allowance for a curvy chest or hips. Yours generally look like that too, and you show how to wear them with style!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

skirtyscot wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:14 pm And you satisfy the main criterion of presenting as a man, so you're on the same team as the rest of us.
I will say I present like a woman except for my masculine bass voice due to the estrogen I have been on but still I regard myself as a man and I use my real masculine name.

John
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Most definitely welcome from me. Your style may not be for me but I wouldn't want everyone to be like me and I enjoy seeing/hearing others perspective.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Told you so!
Does a bear s**t in the woods?
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:29 am Now you know why I created this thread as I wondered if history was repeating itself here as I’m gradually moving on from skirts in favor of dresses. I’m glad that’s not the case, and, again, I appreciate the support.
I think you do a fine job of keeping it between the lines here.

Many of us have grown and changed over the years. What started out as an innocent exploration into a more "feminine" expression has led me to some pretty deep soul searching regarding the overall makeup of my soul (the gender of my spirit).

I've touched on this a time or two over the years, but I don't really go into it at great length because I realize that's not what this site is about, but I stick around for two main reasons:

1) My old "enby soul" aside, I'm still just a guy.

2) I have friends here.

Stick around Jeff, I too enjoy your posts and your positive outlook on things.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Jeff, you have to stay with us to show how dresses can be worn for those of us who are happy in skirts, but not quite there in dresses. Skirtcafe is a place for all men to discuss items of clothing which are open at the bottom.......
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I have noticed threads about how women react wearing skirts and dresses.

From City-Data.com.... The biggest impression-most women don't care to wear such garments, or actively dislike, or even despise them. A few women, very much the minority, will say that they do like such garments.

From Reddit and Quora... Of those women who do like open ended garments, there seems to be three groups. Women who prefer skirts, women who prefer dresses, and women who like both.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:24 pm From Reddit and Quora... Of those women who do like open ended garments, there seems to be three groups. Women who prefer skirts, women who prefer dresses, and women who like both.
In other words, women who know that they can wear what takes their fancy at any given moment.
Men like Jeff are needed to prove that it is not an exclusive deal for them!

Steve