"Kilts are ‘well and truly back’" - The Guardian

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
familyman34
Distinguished Member

"Kilts are ‘well and truly back’" - The Guardian

Post by familyman34 »

In today's Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... e-traitors

Quote: The Glaswegian designer Charles Jeffrey, well-known in fashion circles for his kilts, said the garment represents “strength, subversion and Scottishness”. “Subversion being about the idea that most men will not want to wear a skirt. However, a kilt is a skirt, and a lot of men think that kilts look very powerful.”
"In the 1740s, after the failed Jacobite rising, the kilt was outlawed north of Scotland’s Highland line. The ban was lifted in 1782, with a supporter of the cause taking some comfort from its reinstatement: “This must bring great joy to every Highland heart. You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the lowlander.” (my emphasis)

So, kilt-wearers, and by extension all of us as skirt-wearers, are the true manly ones!
Familyman34
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "Kilts are ‘well and truly back’" - The Guardian

Post by STEVIE »

familyman34 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:34 am “Subversion being about the idea that most men will not want to wear a skirt. However, a kilt is a skirt, and a lot of men think that kilts look very powerful.”

Here we go again, the "Kilt" is certainly a skirt like garment, but is not viewed as simply a skirt Familyman!
Sure, we know we can wear whatever, but the rest of society, men and women don't exactly agree.
Man in kilt can equate with sexy/macho/mateworthy, man in skirt does not and that is all there is to it.
Subversion or subterfuge, wearing a kilt as a pseudo-skirt may work for a while but that's just postponing the agony.
Nope don't buy into that at all, sorry.
Steve.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

I caught a glimpse of this article earlier this month. Kilts still don't have a presence where I live, so from my perspective, "the Kilt" never returned. Because it was never there in the first place.

Society's attitude towards anything even remotely like a skirt is going to met with at least some degree of pushback when it involves men. It'll probably never change. People don't change. They only change when it's convenient for them.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

IMHO, the article was quite supportive of the kilt, promoting it as everyday wear for men.

Granted, SOME of the mentioned designers concepts(and outlandish prices) made me :puker:
“The kilt is well and truly back,” says Queralt Ferrer, design director of fashion at John Lewis.
“We’ve seen searches for the wardrobe staple on johnlewis.com increase plus-92% versus this time last year.”
In the 1740s, after the failed Jacobite rising, the kilt was outlawed north of Scotland’s Highland line. The ban was
lifted in 1782, with a supporter of the cause taking some comfort from its reinstatement: “This must bring great
joy to every Highland heart. You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the lowlander.” (*)
John McLeish, chair of the Scottish Tartan Authority says, “kilts don’t have to be tartan, but generally they are.
Of course, for some people the kilt never went away. McLeish has been wearing them since childhood. They are
“as at home at a sporting event, a wedding, a graduation, a ball, as they are on the catwalks of Milan”
ANY SUPPORTIVE NEWS ARTICLE is greatly appreciated :D

To move forward it takes One Step At A Time :!:

(*) My emphasis, not the authors.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

That reminded me, this cycling news photo gallery popped up on my feed last week: https://pezcyclingnews.com/pelopic/kers ... o-gallery/

Because of these gents:
4-handsome-lads-in-kilts-sm.jpg
They look like skirts to me, maybe even a school uniform skirt, but the tartan makes it so they're "handsome lads". :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

FLbreezy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:40 pm That reminded me, this cycling news photo gallery popped up on my feed last week: https://pezcyclingnews.com/pelopic/kers ... o-gallery/

Because of these gents: 4-handsome-lads-in-kilts-sm.jpg

They look like skirts to me, maybe even a school uniform skirt, but the tartan makes it so they're "handsome lads". :lol:
The only way that the three kilted lads could be confused with a school uniform skirt of sorts would be to wear a frilly blouse with
a school monogram emblem and knee sox with low quarter shoes - - -
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

r.m.anderson wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:06 am The only way that the three kilted lads could be confused with a school uniform skirt of sorts would be to wear a frilly blouse with
Could sure be a school uniform skirt from my neck of the woods.
As for the frilly blouse etc, they probably keep that for playtime/recess?
I am not saying the look is bad, but only connection with a kilt is the checked design.
Uncle Al wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:18 pm You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the lowlander.
The modern kilt is a lowlander invention and has very little in common with the Scots Highlander Al.
The beginning of the myth, that quote and the "subversive" one could come from the same source.
As for "SUPPORTIVE", my less than humble opinion , these articles do very little to further the cause for men in skirts.
They merely give false credence to the hype and sell overpriced clothes on a false premise.
I am a Scot and not bound down by anyone telling me what is or is not manly.
Steve
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

As a further note, Al's quote comes from the Dress Act of 1746. Far from liberating, it was an act of suppression meant to destroy the culture of the Highland Scots.
The Great Kilt, the True Kilt was only one element, the very essence of the people was to be repressed and eradicated.
By the time it was repealed in 1871, largely due to Walter Scott, Queen Victoria and clever businessmen, the Disneyfication of Highland Scotland was complete.
It would be really great to put this to rest.
Wear whatever you damn well please, call it whatever you please, but let that be based on truth.
In the real world, the kilt myth has been of little value to the Scottish people, Highland and Lowland alike.
Steve.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

r.m.anderson wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:06 am
FLbreezy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:40 pm They look like skirts to me, maybe even a school uniform skirt, but the tartan makes it so they're "handsome lads". :lol:
The only way that the three kilted lads could be confused with a school uniform skirt of sorts would be to wear a frilly blouse with
On this side of the pond that would definitely pass for a parochial school skirt, not that it matters.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Kilts are certainly in favour in this household: my son wanted one for his 15th birthday. As they are very expensive, and he is still growing, I gave him my old Black Watch kilt, with a new sporran and some socks and garter flashes. He wore the whole kit today, with shorts underneath.
Bill

Post by Bill »

I had a new Sport Kilt arrive yesterday. My wife ordered it for me because she liked the tartan. That gives me a total of three Sport Kilts. I also have six USA Kilts (five casual and one wool), three UT Kilts (all utility kilts), three by Got Kilt (two utility, one wool) and a "few" others from eBay over the years. As I type this I am wearing the Sport Kilt that arrived yesterday.
sport kilt all Ireland.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Bill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 pm I had a new Sport Kilt arrive yesterday. My wife ordered it for me because she liked the tartan.
Your wife has good taste, I've had my eye on that tartan as well. I have two sport kilts and quite like them, especially with the slash pockets added.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Bill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 pm My wife ordered it for me because she liked the tartan.
It is very special when a family member gets you something to help your skirting life. It goes beyond acceptance into encouragement. Your wife is very special.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

familyman34 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:34 am In today's Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... e-traitors

Quote: The Glaswegian designer Charles Jeffrey, well-known in fashion circles for his kilts, said the garment represents “strength, subversion and Scottishness”. “Subversion being about the idea that most men will not want to wear a skirt. However, a kilt is a skirt, and a lot of men think that kilts look very powerful.”
"In the 1740s, after the failed Jacobite rising, the kilt was outlawed north of Scotland’s Highland line. The ban was lifted in 1782, with a supporter of the cause taking some comfort from its reinstatement: “This must bring great joy to every Highland heart. You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the lowlander.” (my emphasis)

So, kilt-wearers, and by extension all of us as skirt-wearers, are the true manly ones!
The Traitors with Claudia Winkleman was last year? I remember there was a similar article about a resurgence in kilt wearing them. It is an annoying tendancy of internet 'news' of recycling old news as new news.