Heavy woollen floorsweeper

For those do-it-yourselfers...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Heavy woollen floorsweeper

Post by pelmut »

I've just made a real floorsweeper from some heavy woollen material. The total cost was 2UKP, of which 1.5UKP was the cost of the zip.  The material was being sold off at a car boot sale for 50p.

Floorsweeper_0663s.JPG
Floorsweeper skirt

It has 6 panels in the lower part, the drop is 36" and the hem is 90" long. There is a deep pocket on one side (shown up in the photograph by a white handkerchief) and a zip on the opposite side. To get the main panels out of the available material with the correct pattern on it and still have enough material to make the top part, I had to make the wide waistband as a separate 'miniskirt' and let a tapered gore into it at the back to get the correct hip size.

Gore_0661ss.JPG
Tapered gore in back waistband panel

By the time I had finished it there was only 1" of material left over. It's really warm and was ready just in time for the cold spell that has hit us here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Seb

Re: Heavy woollen floorsweeper

Post by Seb »

Its a really nice fabric, good job at aligning the stripes! I want to make something like this too for the winter months, but it will have to be for the next one. :)
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Well done. Being able to make your own is truly a fading art. When I was pretty young I would watch my mother and grandmother sew and my grandmother saw my interest and began teaching me. It is one of the things I regret not keeping up with. Piano is the other.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I never learned to see, which is a regret now. I did drop piano at 15 but about 10 years later was the only “pianist” available and have taken it up again (though not to the extent of lessons and serious practice). If you’re mainly interested in playing for pleasure, you can probably just pick up fairly easily.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Well, done :!: :mrgreen: