Single Sex Spaces

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Single Sex Spaces

Post by Stu »

pelmut wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:22 pm It is unfortunate that, seen from one point of view, finding mixed nakedness to be unremarkable is seen as an 'ism' which brands someone as part of a movement. The other point of view sees avoidance of mixed nakedness as over-sensitivity which brands someone as part of a 'nanny' culture. Neither is true, they are just two ends of a natural spectrum.
I'm not sure I see the problem with an "ism" if someone departs from what is most common. An example might be atheism, whereby a disbeliever is part of a minority that considers the belief in God to be irrational. In my experience, most atheists are happy to identify with that noun.

We all generally have our own sensitivities, including naturists, and many relate to the human body or its functions. It is my understanding that a male state of arousal is something one is expected to try to conceal in naturist venues, even though that is natural. For public spaces, we try to develop norms and rules that are acceptable to almost everyone so that we can all enjoy the space in question.
Modoc wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:59 pm
Stu, I would never argue that anyone should just accept things that make them uncomfortable and not make their protests known. And yes, guys do have the right to demand considerations, and when those aren't met in particular situations, hopefully, we can find situations where those considerations are met.
Absolutely. We all have to share this world and should be able to do so with consideration for others.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Stu wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:12 am I appreciate there is a naturist view where mixed nakedness is the norm and unremarkable, but most of us aren't naturists and do not wish to be.
Well that escalated quickly.

How can you possibly compare a changing room where you can take off your underwear and put on your swimmers in under 30 seconds while facing a wall, and a "naturist view"?

It's considered polite to not look, and that applies to same sex as well as the opposite sex. When you go swimming at the beach there's no changing rooms to be seen, yet we don't enter the ocean fully clothed. Besides, you know that there are men that are not aroused just by women, right? And vice-versa.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

It's ok to peek as long as you don't have a jolly good look.
https://www.menshealth.com/trending-new ... can-stare/
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

rode_kater wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:01 pm
How can you possibly compare a changing room where you can take off your underwear and put on your swimmers in under 30 seconds while facing a wall, and a "naturist view"?
I take your point - the naturist view is the extreme opposite end of the spectrum.

rode_kater wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:01 pm
It's considered polite to not look, and that applies to same sex as well as the opposite sex. When you go swimming at the beach there's no changing rooms to be seen, yet we don't enter the ocean fully clothed.
I am British, so I would get changed under cover of a towel, so there would be nothing to see even if someone did look. I certainly wouldn't openly strip off, even for a matter of seconds.

rode_kater wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:01 pm Besides, you know that there are men that are not aroused just by women, right? And vice-versa.
Yes, I know that. I'm not sure why that's relevant, though. I mentioned male arousal as evidence that there are limits to acceptability even among naturists - I wasn't referring to how the arousal came about.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

As a teenager I hated the single sex changing rooms. I no more wanted to see men with their tackle out, then have them look at me whilst I was changing. Thankfully that is long consigned to the past. For probably at least 30 years the public swimming baths around here have had mixed changing rooms with cubicles. The showers are at the entrance to the pool and people shower with their costumes on. It is far more convenient for families, or even mixed couples/friends, and I guess for cleaning staff too.