went square dancing skirted

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

went square dancing skirted

Post by timemeddler »

I know it looks like a kilt but it isn't it's just a plaid skirt from goodwill, normally I wear colonial style breaches to these fancy dances but this time the iron decided to ruin what I was planning to wear. So I got creative, this was actually my wifes skirt but it was too small for her so I claimed it and decided to use it as fake kilt. It was a different experience dancing in a skirt, next time I might look into different underwear in case my butt becomes visible in a spin or something. Got zero negative comments, I even told several people it was completely fake, they didn't care, most seemed to think it was fun and it was. I'll probably use this as my practice kilt even after getting a proper one, got to have something fro non formal practice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: went square dancing skirted

Post by r.m.anderson »

Square dancing and also line dancing - interesting opportunities to break the ice (maybe glass ceiling) for skirted males.

A skirt plaid pleated or not may pass as a kilt - the hem length also may play a part.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

There used to be square dancing years ago at a station shearing shed about 45kms out of town. It was good fun and well before my skirt wearing era, a pity as the skirts always looked good and lively.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

More than once I've been approached by women asking if I was a "dancer" --no doubt an easy ice-breaker to engage a guy in a skirt. Sadly, I have to tell them 'no' (though I have gone to a few local square/line fun dance gatherings) -- but they usually tell me there are a number of men who wear skirts at their dance gatherings -- so I gather it is a pretty common practice and an easy place to test the gear!
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

attended another dance tonight in the same outfit, it's a different experience dancing skirted, it adds it's own dimension to the dance and is enjoyable.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:32 am More than once I've been approached by women asking if I was a "dancer" --no doubt an easy ice-breaker to engage a guy in a skirt. Sadly, I have to tell them 'no'
Get out there and move your feet! When I bought my first kilt, a friend at college said "but you must dance: you've got a kilt", and she insisted that I turn up to the beginners' class in Scottish country dancing. I have no regrets: I like the music, I enjoy the dancing, and a few years later, when a girl I was interested in discovered that I could dance, it gave me so many additional points that I was signed up as boyfriend. (Yes, we are still married, and maybe the fact that she knew me in a kilt from the outset helps with the acceptance of my fashion choices.)
timemeddler wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:54 am it's a different experience dancing skirted
I can't do Scottish dancing in trousers: it doesn't feel right. I don't think I would try Morris dancing in a skirt, though.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:41 pm [...]Can't do Scottish dancing in trousers: it doesn't feel right. I don't think I would try Morris dancing in a skirt, though.
Whyever not? Skirts form part of some morris costumes.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
TonautBrom

Post by TonautBrom »

pelmut wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:09 pm
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:41 pm [...]Can't do Scottish dancing in trousers: it doesn't feel right. I don't think I would try Morris dancing in a skirt, though.
Molly Dancing is a form of Morris where some male dancers dress in female clothing.

According to Wikipedia it no longer goes on but although rare - like male skirt wearing - it does in places.

https://themorrisring.org/about-morris/molly

https://gogmagogmolly.org.uk/
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

TonautBrom wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:20 am
Molly Dancing is a form of Morris where some male dancers dress in female clothing.

According to Wikipedia it no longer goes on but although rare - like male skirt wearing - it does in places.

https://themorrisring.org/about-morris/molly

https://gogmagogmolly.org.uk/
...but skirts and similar are also worn by other Morris sides as part of their costume. They don't necessarily signify femininity or effeminacy  ...as many loudmouths have found to their cost.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

The skirt is perfectly acceptable, but square dancing….?
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I guess it depends on the skirt. Dancing that involves leaping about with your knees up could be ... indelicate. But you're right: a decent skirt below the knee should be fine, and if I was in a Morris side that were all wearing skirts, then there's no question: I 'd be in there!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

We are not talking about doing the "Can-Can" are we ?
Or something similar to the New York Rockettes ?

The square dance moves offer only offer a hint of what is beholding underneath a petticoat.
No where near an indictment for a Spanish Inquisition - - -
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

Several years ago I belonged to a square dancing group. And I always wore a knee length very flowing skirt. And yes I did twirls, and the skirt ballooned out. The feeling was great wising around the dance floor, and no 1 batted an eyelash