Non-posting/inactive members?

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Non-posting/inactive members?

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:12 pm
Coder wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:53 pmI sometimes wish we had a "like" system here... but then I start dreading the consequences of such a thing. I feel there are far more negatives associated with a ratings system than positives.
Once again, the term "by design" creeps into the conversation. I'd contemplated putting in such a modification quite a while ago, and then contemplated what the eventual outcome would entirely likely be -- and rejected the idea. This place is not supposed to be an "echo chamber" in which one speaks merely to hear his own words repeated; it's intended as a place where problems, challenges, and detractors can be hashed out publicly for the good of all involved, not to gratify one or two super-egos. Because what usually happens is that the ones who should not have their egos stroked are precisely the ones who do in such a "rating" system. It's the Law Of Unintended Consequences in action.
Yes - exactly that.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

I confess to being more reader than a poster. The reason for that is I feel like I don't have much to say... I wear skirts so often that the 'Out & about' seems a little irrelevant as going out in a skirt is such a non event for me. I suppose I should post more in a support for other members who have difficulties with their skirting (such as problems with their partner or family). I am lucky in that I have support from my wife and don't really care what my extended family think. I realise that for some of us it's not as simple as just wearing what we want.

I will not comment on politics or religion as my thoughts are personal for me, and I think for others members too, even if I think their views appear to me to be absolutely nuts :lol:

I have loads of pictures I could post but it just seems such a hassle to get the file the right size to add to the forum (I do not wish to have my photos on flickr etc).

So I must try harder in 2024 to be more engaged...

...so the first of 2024, a pic of little comfy skirt for the summer that arrived today. ebay for under £10 brand new... bargain

Happy new year to you all

Tony

Edit: still can not attach the picture mentioned above and it's only 444 KB :cussing:
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

victor1964 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:50 pm going out in a skirt is such a non event for me
That's what I'm aiming at! Going out in a kilt has been a non-event for mne for a couple of decades, but I'm still working on the broader category of skirt, and I'm barely started on dresses.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:16 pm
FranTastic444 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:38 pmSQL is not my strong point, but…. don’t you need some sort of insert into foo before this query would do any record cleansing??
In MySQL there's a shorthand in the CREATE TABLE syntax that allows implicit insertions into the new table via a concatenated "SELECT". I made use of that in this query.
I see! Thinking about it, there's a SELECT INTO option with MS SQL that has the same effect but is maybe a little easier to read (for a SQL-hating numpty like me, at least :-) ) .
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

I come and go like the wind and rain
a travelling man on the road again.............
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I think that "select into" is in the standard of SQL. I know it works with SQL Server and PostGreSQL. I also used SqLite but I couldn't confirm it supports "select into"
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by victor1964 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:50 pm

.. I wear skirts so often that the 'Out & about' seems a little irrelevant as going out in a skirt is such a non event for me.

I have ... pictures I could post but it just seems such a hassle to get the file the right size to add to the forum (I do not wish to have my photos on flickr etc).

Edit: still can not attach the picture mentioned above and it's only 444 KB :cussing:
I too have echoed both of these thoughts. Do others really want a daily report in "Out and About" that I've been to the dentist, grocery, gas station....? (If I could readily take a picture showing the non-reaction of those about, then it might be helpful....but how to accomplish that without making a scene?)

And being geekless, despite some attempts by members with guidance, I've not found a way to post pictures -- thus I don't -- except the occasional "link" easily obtained from the camera function on my cell phone, and I suspect these are neither secure nor confidential -- though as I appear in public daily in a skirt, I don't think of it as a big deal, but I'm not keen to be the "star" of some kooks thing on other sites.

In short: What do others want to see in "Out and About"
Can a simplified version of picture posting be implemented for us dorks?

YES, I like the written language, respectful, discussion based aspect of this site -- it is the ONLY 'social' media site I follow or post to. If you need 'likes' --visit your therapist.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:43 am Can a simplified version of picture posting be implemented for us dorks?
My recommendation is imgur, just create an account, create post, upload the image, right-click and copy the URL. There is the fiddly bit of getting it to a manageable size before uploading - I crop and size my photos, but there are probably free online editors to do that all for you.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

Coder wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:13 am
Faldaguy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:43 am Can a simplified version of picture posting be implemented for us dorks?
My recommendation is imgur, just create an account, create post, upload the image, right-click and copy the URL. There is the fiddly bit of getting it to a manageable size before uploading - I crop and size my photos, but there are probably free online editors to do that all for you.
That just transfers the problem to imgur, I don't post pictures because it's too much hassle resizing etc. If we had a way of just one click upload regardless of size or file format then I'm in. I consider myself quite tech savvy but it just takes so much work just to upload lol....
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Agreed. I have neither the time nor the head space to spend on fiddling about with photos.
Bee Guy

Post by Bee Guy »

As a relatively new member who has only posted a few times, I'd just like to say that I really appreciate the tenor of this forum. Everyone seems to express their opinions and ideas openly and honestly. And they do so in a way that is encouraging and not offensive.

I also appreciate that those of you moderating this forum do an excellent job of keeping us focused, but doing so in a way that doesn't force us all into a narrow silo.

I'm glad this is a text oriented forum. It allows us all to focus on ideas and to communicate clearly with one another. I especially appreciate that rather than posting catchy slogans (except in fun), folks take the time to fully read others posts, and respond in a thoughtful manner.

I also appreciate the warm camaraderie that is expressed in so many posts and responses. It really makes me feel that I'm part of a community.

Sorry I haven't posted much to date. I'm relatively new to "skirting." As others in this thread have stated, I'm still soaking in the wealth of information and ideas that others have shared, and don't feel I have much that is noteworthy to add. Hopefully that will change as time goes on.

Thanks! Ed
Bee Guy

Post by Bee Guy »

crfriend wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:28 am Using the copy of the database I have in my lab which is a couple of months old, if I ran that now on the Production database the cull would amount to 5,986 usernames. This sort of shows just how thin on the ground we are.
Carl, I'm confused by 5,986 usernames. The forum homepage says there are only 1,533 members. What's the difference between a username and member?

Thanks! Ed

(Hope I did the quotation correctly.)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bee Guy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:05 pmCarl, I'm confused by 5,986 usernames. The forum homepage says there are only 1,533 members. What's the difference between a username and member?
The "number of usernames in the database" is all-encompassing and includes users who have been disabled for any reason (e.g. "bad behaviour"/spamming) and the "number of registered users" does not count inactive.

Now, quite of the few "registered users" of are spammers who never posted anything and haven't been forcefully disabled; that accounts for the difference.

The number of truly "active" users would require mining the database for who has posted recently -- and that's a query of a different colour. I just haven't come up with one yet, or run it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Bee Guy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:43 pm I also appreciate the warm camaraderie that is expressed in so many posts and responses. It really makes me feel that I'm part of a community.

Sorry I haven't posted much to date. I'm relatively new to "skirting." As others in this thread have stated, I'm still soaking in the wealth of information and ideas that others have shared, and don't feel I have much that is noteworthy to add. Hopefully that will change as time goes on.
Thanks! Ed
Hi Ed,
It is because of this warm camaraderie that many of us stay as members. Why be contentious and argumentative when all we want is acceptance in the real world. While I no longer wear trousers or shorts and only skirts all of the time, I still sometimes need to hear a kind word or two from others who do as I do.

As far as having anything noteworthy to say, everything one says is noteworthy to someone here, so post your thoughts it may make a difference to another member.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Midas wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:45 am Agreed. I have neither the time nor the head space to spend on fiddling about with photos.
For photos taken on my mobile phone, I use the free Photo Resizer HD app for Android, and the job is done in a moment.