Saks Prada advert

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Saks Prada advert

Post by FranTastic444 »

This advert regularly pops up on the BBC News app on my phone.

I'm not sure on the sex of the model, but it looks to me like this image is on the masculine side of androgynous which, on one level at least, I find interesting. But... I have to query whether using a model who is so painfully thin looking (regardless of sex) is ethical.
Bill

Re: Saks Prada advert

Post by Bill »

I'm guessing female but certainly anorexic in appearance. And that is, indeed, a shame.
If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

They get that scrawny one cannot tell. Concentration-camp survivors tend to look better.

Not attractive in any way in the least.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

I'm thinking, maybe they're sitting down because they don't have the strength to stand up. But seriously, I thought the fashion industry was no longer promoting this kind of imagery. Maybe Prada feels it's safe now because there are other outlets for people of different body types.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Sorry, but I did some post-doctoral research into the semiotics of advertising some time ago and I learned that Prada has a penchant for boyish-looking female models - like this:

https://theimpression.com/prada-spring- ... -campaign/
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Among the recent spread of positive images of large women, it is easy to forget that sometimes skinny is just a body type.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:48 amAmong the recent spread of positive images of large women, it is easy to forget that sometimes skinny is just a body type.
There's skinny and then there's anorexic and plain malnourished. I'm skinny -- and I eat well. That model looks like it (the sex is indeterminable) hasn't had a good meal in months or years.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!