Moral Outrage Because of a Small Clip

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Moral Outrage Because of a Small Clip

Post by TSH »

I understand that Christmas just ended, already, so I suspect some of you still aren't in the mood for more negativity. I feel this needs to be addressed, here, specifically.

As some of you are already aware, this thread highlights a 2008 book titled The Boy in the Dress. It was adapted as a film six years later, and was broadcasted earlier this month on the 10th, on CBBC. It should come as no surprise that the book faced controversy over the years — typically the same tired tripe about "sexualizing" and "grooming" boys and "child abuse".

This isn't about the book, however; it was a just prelude to the focal point of this thread. It's about a similar, more vicious overreaction of a small piece of footage that has people losing their minds over. It's this:

Here's the context behind this: the source of this image is a Netflix singalong series dubbed CoComelon Lane for toddlers and slightly older children. This is the eighth episode of the first season, in which every episode features several songs about important life lessons and such. The third song, "Just Be You", is a musical about a boy who wants to look his best. His fathers (another triggering factor to the backlash) reassures the boy that being himself is the best look he can have. He doesn't understand this, so he sings about what to wear, which is a montage of him dressing up as a fireman (a mainly male-dominated job), a chef, to him wearing a tutu and tiara over his casual clothes. That only lasted for six seconds, but that was enough for reactionaries to label it as, "Child abuse!" "Molestation!" "Confusion!" "Agenda!" "Boycott!" "Pure EVIILLLLLLLL!!!1!!". Here's another article about this; read this at your own peril, because this same dumb nonsense is spew in Tweets. What's even more hilarious is that these f***ing morons can't even tell the difference between a dress and a tutu:
https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-culture ... cott-calls

This is what we, as a niche community, are up against. This is conservative people making a stink towards this entire show based off of a single clip that wasn't ten seconds long, and wasn't even the focus of what the actual lesson being taught here was about. These are the kind of people who would stand in opposition towards us because it conflicts with their ideals of traditional gender norms whilst also upholding double standards when it comes gendered fashion — no one would've batted an eye if that boy was instead a girl who dressed like a prince for about the same amount of time he was in that tiara-tutu combo. NO ONE. The only reason people are angry about this because they have no value in their lives, so they make up random nonsense about an agenda being pushed when the the only one being pushed is their own — they're hypocrites. They don't care about children; they only care about maintaining this obnoxious gender division in clothing.

The video itself has 10,100 dislikes as opposed to 202 at the time of me writing this. The ratio is the way it is because of those six seconds. Just think about that for a moment. Not a single person is talking about anything that wasn't at all related to this particular segment of this particular song of this particular episode. Just that small piece of video that was only six seconds long, and somehow, those six seconds completely invalidate the song, the entire episode, and the whole show.

Here's, the video itself, if you want to see what all this alarming protest is about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmNwKPRzyfM
Last edited by TSH on Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Moral Outrage Because of a Small Clip

Post by moonshadow »

Retracted
Last edited by moonshadow on Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

well bugs bunny cross dressed more times than I can remember so I can't imagine too many real conservatives complaining.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I'm starting to see things differently and when that happens my reasoning twists and turns until I settle on what i think is the truth. Here goes:
The object of the anger is focused on the sexualising a boy because he is wearing girls clothes. He likes dresses and he's being groomed etc. When a girl is encouraged to wear the same it is apparently not sexualised. The girls are wearing girls clothes and that's OK.
If I step back from what I'm seeing and what I'm being told, then it's ok to sexualise females because that's their role? To be in the greedy gaze of males?
If a boy wears the same clothes then he is being sexualised to fall into the gaze of men. That isn't right because he is a boy and he is being offered the female role which isn't right for a boy.
My conclusion then is the problem is not the sexualising of boys but the sexualising of girls. Society is wrongly thinking that is it is OK to treat girls in this manner but not boys. As my wife continually points out to me it's not women that are the problem, it is the way women are viewed by men.

This is important for my understanding of the problems facing MIS. Rather than persuading society to accept MIS; society should be persuaded to see women as people with whom men form loving relationships and not as sexual objects. If that happens then everything else should fall into place.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Retracted
Last edited by moonshadow on Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:45 am He likes dresses and he's being groomed etc. When a girl is encouraged to wear the same it is apparently not sexualised. The girls are wearing girls clothes and that's OK.

If I step back from what I'm seeing and what I'm being told, then it's ok to sexualise females because that's their role? To be in the greedy gaze of males?

My conclusion then is the problem is not the sexualising of boys but the sexualising of girls. Society is wrongly thinking that is it is OK to treat girls in this manner but not boys.
Totally agree. Look at US cheerleaders and schoolgirls in the mould of Britney Spears video for Baby One More Time for two classic examples of the above.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

People tend to classify others in terms of boxes. In regards to males wearing skirted rigs, I think for many people there are only two boxes=Tranny, or LGBQT. No MIS box, such as would apply to members. (In so far as members could be put into a box). It seems not to occur to people that males might like these garments as garments, without any sexual or gender connotation.

As for sexualizing females, somebody pointed out that, except for a few skirt suits, skirted rigs for women tend to emphasize female sexuality.

Even if female clothes are desexualized, I don't think that will in itself advance MIS. Male skirt wearing needs to be normalized, separately from what women wear.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Grok wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:44 pm skirted rigs for women tend to emphasize female sexuality.
Yes, the majority of female clothes seem to be body hugging whereas guys clothing tends to be a bit looser (which can help to hide a multitude of sins :-) ).
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:45 am If that happens then everything else should fall into place.
Easier still, why not everyone just fully accepting everyone else as equal in all events?
FranTastic444 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:47 pm guys clothing tends to be a bit looser (which can help to hide a multitude of sins

Yeah, boring
TSH wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:40 am They don't care about children; they only care about maintaining this obnoxious gender division in clothing.
No, they actually don't and they also are deliberately blind to the damage they do. Not just in terms of clothing but in the creation of a whole range of issues for the whole damn human race.

Steve.

PS, Moon, retracted, no comment.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:07 am
Barleymower wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:45 am If that happens then everything else should fall into place.
Easier still, why not everyone just fully accepting everyone else as equal in all events?
Steve I can't get people to make the tea if they are not used to doing it.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:54 am
STEVIE wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:07 am
Steve I can't get people to make the tea if they are not used to doing it.
Teach then, get them used to it!
Steve
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

The outage wasn't just about the boy in a skirt, but his "gay dads." All the cited tweets in the article pointed that out as well. This wasn't just boy-in-a-skirt outrage, it was boy-raised-by-gay-couple-in-a-tutu outrage.

Why does this matter? It wasn't the skirt by itself, or even the fact that it was a tutu (arguably the most girly of skirts). It was that on a little boy in the context of gay parents. It was like the writers wanted to troll conservatives and provoke a reaction on purpose.

What "gay parents" do to their kids is already a concern in conservative circles, and this clip hit multiple things in tandem in just the right way to reinforce their fears. It suggests gay parents will raise their kids to be something on the LGBTQ+++ list of things conservatives are concerned about. Which is basically the list of concerns sumed up by the term "grooming."

And I imagine the clip got linked in a few articles and prominent tweets and wound up getting dislikes from a bunch of people who didn't even watch it, or did so only because they wanted to see how bad it was and were already primed to not like it by the controversy surrounding it.

In my mind, this whole thing just shows what the culture war is really about, and it's not men in skirts. We just get caught in the crossfire. When men in skirts are presented as just a fashion thing, a manly thing, an equality thing, or a comfort in the heat thing, it gets wide support. It's only when tied to other hot button issues that this sort of reaction occurs.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

Dust wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:37 am The outage wasn't just about the boy in a skirt, but his "gay dads." All the cited tweets in the article pointed that out as well. This wasn't just boy-in-a-skirt outrage, it was boy-raised-by-gay-couple-in-a-tutu outrage.
Not gonna go back in read all that Twitter drivel to check how many tweets mentioned the gay fathers, but it wasn't "all"; just a few.
Why does this matter? It wasn't the skirt by itself, or even the fact that it was a tutu (arguably the most girly of skirts). It was that on a little boy in the context of gay parents. It was like the writers wanted to troll conservatives and provoke a reaction on purpose.

What "gay parents" do to their kids is already a concern in conservative circles, and this clip hit multiple things in tandem in just the right way to reinforce their fears. It suggests gay parents will raise their kids to be something on the LGBTQ+++ list of things conservatives are concerned about. Which is basically the list of concerns sumed up by the term "grooming."
While it does it indeed matter, as it highlights the thinly-veiled homophobia still present in the States, I think you're overselling this a bit. Many articles and tweets point specifically towards the tutu, and the tutu alone. That's where the bulk of the outrage is. Feels a little disingenuous to assume what the writers' intent was, and this assumption only adds to the claim conservatives make about their opponents using "political messaging" to "indoctrinate" children.
And I imagine the clip got linked in a few articles and prominent tweets and wound up getting dislikes from a bunch of people who didn't even watch it, or did so only because they wanted to see how bad it was and were already primed to not like it by the controversy surrounding it.
I've no doubt in mind that's exactly what happened. Popular alt-right figures influenced this boycotting from their dip-s*** flocks to bash on something without a thought. It's what they do to everything they deem a "threat" to their archaic, "old-fashioned" worldview.
In my mind, this whole thing just shows what the culture war is really about, and it's not men in skirts. We just get caught in the crossfire. When men in skirts are presented as just a fashion thing, a manly thing, an equality thing, or a comfort in the heat thing, it gets wide support. It's only when tied to other hot button issues that this sort of reaction occurs.
MiS have been presented as fashion statement. MiS have been presented as a bold, masculine alternative. MiS have been presented as one step closer to true equality. MiS have been presented as a practical means of bearing the heat. It never gets wide support. Ever. "Other hot button issues" is just admitting that men in skirts, itself, is still a controversial topic in this day and age, and only get worse when other heated subject matters are mixed in with the notion that men should have equal privileges when it comes to fashion.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Disney portrays Peter Pan in a little short tunic and tights, There doesn't seem a lot of backlash against that.

Bigots are out there making their weird views heard on many subjects. Best to ignore them unless they cause change to the law.
The same people often demand freedom for things that make them happy (eg: guns) but are quick to deny freedom for things that make other people happy. Funny, in some places it seems OK for a man to wear a gun but not OK to wear a skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:15 amBigots are out there making their weird views heard on many subjects. Best to ignore them unless they cause change to the law.
The emphasis above is mine, but that's the crux of the problem and points up the mindset we're dealing with. The quips about guns just go to show precisely screwed up the USA is at the moment.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!