Skater Skirts Wearers Weight Loss

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
SkaterSkirtWearer

Skater Skirts Wearers Weight Loss

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

It has been a while since I have posted on here but I have had to have a clear out of my Skirt collection due to my weight loss with around 50% of the skirts I own no longer fitting. The ones which do still fit are all of stretchy material which is understandable and fit a million times better as a result. I used to weigh just under 17 stone but now weigh just under 12. In metric I started at 107.3kg and am now 74.4kg. In pounds only I used to weigh 237 pounds and now 164 pounds.

It has been quite a transformation and now means I am no longer classed as either obese or overweight and now am comfortably a healthy weight with a BMI of 22.8 instead of 33. It is weird seeing skirts which used to fit me now literally fall onto the floor. I plan to go purchase some new clothing including some skirts in the new year and will be on the lookout for a new denim skirt as the denim skirt I liked no longer fits either. Any inexpensive recommendations would be great as need to replace literally almost all my clothes due to the weight change.

The skirts which no longer fit me will be donated to charity.

Merry Christmas all and have a happy 2024!!

SSW
Uncle Al

Re: Skater Skirts Wearers Weight Loss

Post by Uncle Al »

Congratulations on the weight loss :D

Best wishes for 2024 :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Wow, congrats on the weight loss.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It is always nice to hear a good news story. Well done and no doubt you will reward yourself with some new skirts.

An inexpensive denim skirt that I have purchased a few of comes from Shein online. If you don't rush in there are often specials and free shipping on orders over $29. If you click on a size you will get actual measurements which I have found to be quite accurate. All made in China and probably underpaid workers but that is also the case for many expensive brands.
There is a category for denim skirts. I think that some of the styles are awful but one I like is:
https://au.shein.com/SHEIN-ICON-Flap-Po ... gRatio=3-4
Rather short but that is my preference; material has a good amount of stretch with belt loops and useful cargo pockets, although the top scoop pockets are fake. Many colours.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well done with the weight loss! Congratulations.

Definitely reward yourself with a few skirts that now fit -- but the real rewards will likely be problems you may not have to deal with going forward. That's where the real treasure lies.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

SkaterSkirtWearer wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:32 pm Any inexpensive recommendations would be great as need to replace literally almost all my clothes due to the weight change.

SSW
I think you probably have your answer there.... the charity shops. If you are going in to donate, perhaps take a look on the rails at the same time. eBay can be cheap too, so long as you set yourself a price limit. I've had some real bargains from there, but you can't win every bid!

Well done on the weight loss though. I imagine you must feel great. I went from 78kg at my heaviest to 61kg now and you've surpassed that. A lot of my skirts still fit as I bought them when I was lighter and hung on hoping one day they would fit again. Like you I have concluded that I should have a clear out of the ones that are too big.... doing it is another matter (for me!!) Good luck, and enjoy your new wardrobe and have a good Christmas SSW.
TonautBrom

Post by TonautBrom »

Congratulations on your loss!

I bought this knee length skirt from M&S and really like it. https://www.marksandspencer.com/denim-k ... ine%20Only

It’s well made and fits me well at a size 8. (Actually in truth it’s a little tight but that’s spurring me on to lose a couple of pounds too).
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Good job! I agree with the others about buying used from a thrift store (as they're called around here.)

Sometimes I find something I like at a thrift store but it has the problem you mention; too loose and falls down. Sometimes it's an easy job to thread some sturdy elastic into the waistband and make it fit well.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

SkaterSkirtWearer wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:32 pm It has been a while since I have posted on here but I have had to have a clear out of my Skirt collection due to my weight loss with around 50% of the skirts I own no longer fitting. The ones which do still fit are all of stretchy material which is understandable and fit a million times better as a result. I used to weigh just under 17 stone but now weigh just under 12. In metric I started at 107.3kg and am now 74.4kg. In pounds only I used to weigh 237 pounds and now 164 pounds.

It has been quite a transformation and now means I am no longer classed as either obese or overweight and now am comfortably a healthy weight with a BMI of 22.8 instead of 33. It is weird seeing skirts which used to fit me now literally fall onto the floor. I plan to go purchase some new clothing including some skirts in the new year and will be on the lookout for a new denim skirt as the denim skirt I liked no longer fits either. Any inexpensive recommendations would be great as need to replace literally almost all my clothes due to the weight change.

SSW
I may be able to help you. Look for a private message from me, sent yesterday.
Familyman34
SkaterSkirtWearer

SkirtsDad wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:28 am
SkaterSkirtWearer wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:32 pm Any inexpensive recommendations would be great as need to replace literally almost all my clothes due to the weight change.

SSW
I think you probably have your answer there.... the charity shops. If you are going in to donate, perhaps take a look on the rails at the same time. eBay can be cheap too, so long as you set yourself a price limit. I've had some real bargains from there, but you can't win every bid!

Well done on the weight loss though. I imagine you must feel great. I went from 78kg at my heaviest to 61kg now and you've surpassed that. A lot of my skirts still fit as I bought them when I was lighter and hung on hoping one day they would fit again. Like you I have concluded that I should have a clear out of the ones that are too big.... doing it is another matter (for me!!) Good luck, and enjoy your new wardrobe and have a good Christmas SSW.
I had a quick look in the local charity shops but nothing of any interest, may try the ones in Norwich at some point where there is likely a larger selection.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I recommend the Denim Skirt I purchased from Dorothy Perkins.

M&S have a huge sale on presently, with good bargains on Skirts and Dresses.
SkaterSkirtWearer

Have just ordered 6 skirts from ebay one button up denim skirt from george and a george pencil skirt similar to one I had but also smaller. I also have got from the seller preworn who seem excellent as they put the measurements of the actual item on the listings and with everything second hand it is good for the environment. I have ordered from them a topshop zip back mini skirt (wanted to try one and at only a fiver it was worth a punt). An H&M skater skirt in a smaller size similar to one I already had. An M&S plain black pencil skirt. Along with an F&F animal print faux leather skirt (again looked quite interesting for £3.75). I also ordered two pairs of 32 inch waist M&S jeans for a fiver each so got 6 items from preworn for £25.25 with free shipping. The george denim skirt was £6.94 including postage and and the george pencil skirt was £7.99 including postage. 8 items for £40.18 so I think I have done ok there.

I am all for buying stuff second hand rather than new and always ensure my clothes are never sent to landfill whenever I finish with them to try combat this fast fashion world.

SSW
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Congratulations, and may the will power stay with you! Yes, Thrift shops -- maybe less than perfect, but an expensive interim solutions, and maybe some fun with other styles until they get the ones you do want.
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

Congratulations and good luck
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Congratulations. Would be interested to hear how you managed to achieve this goal. I've had several half-hearted attempts at weight loss in recent times (with limited success) but I am now at the point where my health is suffering due to my diet and I need to get my weight as well as eating / drinking habits under control as a priority. I'm looking to go from ~230lb down to ~170lb.

I have to say that my expanding waistline has somewhat affected my skirting enjoyment. I look at the likes of Coder, Skirtyscott, Mark Bryan as well as the various folk I follow on Instagram and think how much better their outfits look (compared to my efforts) for being draped over frames that are not encumbered by a basketball-sized protrusion around the midriff :-)