ultra light dance kilt on the budget

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

ultra light dance kilt on the budget

Post by timemeddler »

looking for a lightweight kilt for summer square dancing, our building doesn't have air conditioning. So far I'm looking at either USA Kilts casual, or the semi traditional kilts, I can't justify spending much more than that, so about $250. I know they make specially dancing kilts for Scottish highland dancing made out of 10 and 11 oz fabric, but a lot of them are priced out of my range. Quality wise, I do have a homemade sports grade kilt made of cotton plaid, I'm looking to get something at least a little nicer than that. Any suggestions?
Bill

Re: ultra light dance kilt on the budget

Post by Bill »

I now have five of the USA Kilts casual kilts. My oldest one is still in perfect condition and is my favorite go-to kilt, especially in the summer. It looks dressy in a casual sort of way when I pair it with a polo or nice t-shirt. It can also be dressed up a bit with dress shirt, tie and sport coat.

My two newest USA Kilts casual kilts can be seen in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=24432
If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Another alternative is Stillwaterkilts which is made in the U.S.A. and are VERY reasonably priced.
They have a large selection of kilts and the material is a poly-viscose, wash in cold water and hang to dry.
Customer service is outstanding. I ordered 2 kilts on a Friday night and had them in the mail the following Tuesday.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Uncle Al wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:40 am Another alternative is Stillwaterkilts which is made in the U.S.A. and are VERY reasonably priced.
They have a large selection of kilts and the material is a poly-viscose, wash in cold water and hang to dry.
Customer service is outstanding. I ordered 2 kilts on a Friday night and had them in the mail the following Tuesday.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
I would highly recommend "Stillwater Kilts" LINK: https://store.stillwaterkilts.com/
Be careful hovering your finger over the key board enter key - once pressed delivery is prompt and as noted by Uncle Al service is outstanding !
Another source for fairly priced kilts that I would recommend is SportKilt LINK: https://sportkilt.com/
There are lots and lots of kilt merchants in business - work up a frequent buyer program for even better service (sales) results.
Can't afford the expense of a new kilt - consider eBay - look for something within your budget (shop the Make an Offer you might score here).

Returning to the crux of this thread - ultra light weight dance kilts - - -
I don't think you are dwelling on thin almost sheer wispy nylon a ballet type skirt -
Probably a poly-viscose (acrylic) with no weighted wool factor -
I would venture to comment certainly not a utility canvas cargo construction.
And as for hem length something just above the knee ?
Skip the accessories of the sporran and other formal accoutrements.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Bill

Post by Bill »

Ah, yes, forgot about Sport Kilt - https://sportkilt.com/
The basic Sport Kilt is economical, lightweight and comfortable. I have two that I use mostly to lounge around the house. In fact, my oldest kilt is a Blackwatch Sport Kilt with no "upgrades" - it still looks great and is very comfortable.

However, as I type this I am wearing my 2nd oldest kilt, a casual kilt in American Heritage from USA Kilts.
If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

update, well I went with usa kilts semi traditional. I also purchase several yards of "plaid uniform fabric" from amazon made for school uniforms skirts to make a lighter contemporary version.