Women wearing skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Women wearing skirts

Post by Grok »

new2skirts wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:17 am (though I've felt warm enough in pencil skirts) and I notice those who do wear skirts to work are a little less careful how they sit with knees slightly further apart :shock: it could be girls so used to trousers this happens...
I have imagined older men tutoring younger women about skirts.

Perhaps someday it will be a father's duty to teach skirtmanship to his daughter.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Had some visitors and one was wearing a knee length dress. A comment was made about her plain black dress and she said it was a light loose fitting material and felt cool. She commented that not many women or girls wore dresses these days and could not understand why in this hot climate. I agreed about dresses in a knowing sort of way. My mini skirt was not mentioned..
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I had a meeting at the Golf Club (no I don't play golf) about the history of the building, originally a brewery. Looking at some old photos a comment was made about the women wearing long skirts and dresses in such a warm climate. A local lady who only ever wears skirts and dresses explained how they are actually cool clothing with the ventilation and looseness prompting me to pipe in to confer. Another lady, in pants, said "That's right, what you are wearing doesn't have a seam ........... what do you call that?"
Again I didn't help by saying "It is a mini skirt", which again seemed to act as a conversation stopper.

I have no qualms calling them mini skirts but perhaps if I said it was a cargo skirt (as it had patch pockets) it might have less stigma for a man's garment.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I'm curious, but I think only she knows... what was she expecting with such a question? Another way of answering, maybe if the contexts allows joking, could be with saying something like "Hey girl, I don't know when did you look under my skirt to see it has no seam but please don't do it again!". To be said in an obvious joking mood.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

denimini wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:39 am I have no qualms calling them mini skirts but perhaps if I said it was a cargo skirt (as it had patch pockets) it might have less stigma for a man's garment.
Oh my golly gosh, this is just so precious.
If a cigar is just a cigar, then a skirt is just that too, a skirt plain and simple.
I will correct some folks if I receive a "Nice Kilt" compliment when I have on a kilted skirt.
If we pander to silly semantics, will we ever be able to see the even sillier stigma disappear?
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Spirou003 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:58 am I'm curious, but I think only she knows... what was she expecting with such a question? Another way of answering, maybe if the contexts allows joking, could be with saying something like "Hey girl, I don't know when did you look under my skirt to see it has no seam but please don't do it again!". To be said in an obvious joking mood.
I think she was being friendly and it was obviously a skirt, hence no seam. Perhaps was being diplomatic asking what I called it rather than referring to it as a skirt and me stating the obvious put an end to the conversation.
I agree with Steve, call a skirt a skirt.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

denimini wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:39 am I have no qualms calling them mini skirts but perhaps if I said it was a cargo skirt (as it had patch pockets) it might have less stigma for a man's garment.
denimini wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:51 am I think she was being friendly and it was obviously a skirt, hence no seam. Perhaps was being diplomatic asking what I called it rather than referring to it as a skirt and me stating the obvious put an end to the conversation.
I agree with Steve, call a skirt a skirt.
I wonder if she was curious to see if you would use the term "utility kilt" rather than "skirt" especially as your skirt had patch pockets?
Some men might be too bashful to use the word, skirt and would say kilt instead?

I'm with you and Steve and would call my skirt, a skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

shadowfax wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:11 am I'm with you and Steve and would call my skirt, a skirt.
I concur.

The mischievous part of my mind wants to say something silly, however, like “it’s one of those new seamless shorts” or “an unpleated kilt”. In the few times I’ve been questioned, I’ve sort of mumbled an answer but my general direction is to acknowledge it is a skirt and insert some quip about fashion freedom or some such idea if the situation allows.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

On the other hand I have also had to say that my skirt is definitely not a kilt.
On one very memorable occasion it was actually a very light linen dress.
On none of these occasions did I detect the slightest malice, so humour does go a long way.
It can also spark very interesting conversations.
This is how we will break the barriers.
Steve.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:06 am On the other hand I have also had to say that my skirt is definitely not a kilt.
On one very memorable occasion it was actually a very light linen dress.
On none of these occasions did I detect the slightest malice, so humour does go a long way.
It can also spark very interesting conversations.
This is how we will break the barriers.
Steve.
A few days ago I had a big bundle of white gauze on my head from a rather large melanoma that had been removed along with an ankle length black A-line skirt while shopping at a local market -- the chap behind me was obviously looking me up and down and asked if I was part of a religious sect. I've had this happen a couple of times before when a head-dressing combined with a long black skirt seems to make people suspect religious garb. Maybe it is just enough to allow them to break the social barrier and ask about my skirt, and that is fine as I too like the opportunities that arise when someone does comment. I usually respond with "its just a skirt" and maybe add, "I find them comfortable" -- but that often is the end of the conversation, so I'm wondering about turning it around with, "Have you tried one" or....???? There must be some more good suggestions out there.
Back to the chap in the grocery line, we had about three minutes of waiting for the cashier and had an extended and pleasant conversation, with him seeming to acknowledge me were in a rut and should venture out!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I as a man wear dresses far more frequently than most women. There are plenty of times when I am walking at a local park or church events (other than Sunday mornings) where I am the only one wearing a dress. Fortunately the pushback has been virtually nonexistent.

John
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Grok wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:34 pm

I have imagined older men tutoring younger women about skirts.

Perhaps someday it will be a father's duty to teach skirtmanship to his daughter.
If I had a daughter I might have been in a position to teach her how to walk with heels. I have read where young ladies having an awkward time walking with with heels.

John
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

JohnH wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:22 am I have read where young ladies having an awkward time walking with with heels.
Even harder to walk without heels John.
Just a matter of practice, no?
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I posted this in another thread, but overheard a public conversation this weekend. A lady said, "Oh, I didn't wear a skirt today because I was running later earlier, but I like to wear skirts on the weekends because I have to wear pants for my job all week and it helps me (disconnect?) keep work separate in my mind."
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:23 pm I have to wear pants for my job all week and it helps me (disconnect?) keep work separate in my mind."
Coder, that could very well come from a guy.
The major difference is that a female doesn't even have to think twice about it.
I am also assuming that in her job, pants/trousers are mandatory, otherwise anything goes for her there too.
In the workplace, that's fair enough, trousers for all, no exceptions!
The problem otherwise is just the good old double standard which can be worse at work than in society in general.
Steve.