hello from Portland Oregon

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: hello from Portland Oregon

Post by crfriend »

Tom Jaye wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:01 amcouldn't agree more. interesting about your comment about how church and sate are separated differntly in Europe v America. what is that differnce?
Well, there are several differences, and then there are the interpretations of these differences, and then there is what plays out in practise -- all of which are very, very different.

In the United States, we have the clause in the First Amendment to The Constitution which, in part, states: "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion." This, in most interpretations, hinges on the precise meaning of "establishment", and refers to the establishment of The Church of England as the "preferred religion" of the land. That was not going to fly in the nascent USA because of the disparate religious backgrounds of the constituency. Thus, the "Establishment Clause" was inserted as an afterthought to the original document. Now, in practise that's not actually the case. Even though there is no "Established" (i.e. lawful) religion, and that should be a protection -- it isn't. In the USA, it's evangelical Christianity that's wagging the State at the moment and calling most of the shots domestically (save for economically; that's another story).

In Europe, various countries still have "established religions", but which are largely ignored as being irrelevant in day-to-day life. Thus, there's not much problem, and things are the same as they've always been but "we've just moved on". Not the case in the USA; which has demonstrably gone backwards.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Tom Jaye wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:01 am couldn't agree more. interesting about your comment about how church and sate are separated differntly in Europe v America. what is that differnce?
Ah, should have clarified. And with the usual caveats regarding generalisations, Europe is a big place, etc, saying goes:

In Europe the state is protected from the church.
In America the church is protected from the state.

The difference can be subtle, but it amounts to the states in Europe being more proactive is preventing religious interference in political matters. The most extreme being Laïcité in France, which basically makes secularism the public religion. Religion is something you do at home. So things like the US President saying "so help me God" on TV makes the hair in the back of my neck stand up, it feels completely inappropriate. Yet you consider it normal, so...

You have Orbán in Hungary, Patin in Russia, Erdoğan in Turkey all explicitly courting religious support in public, and politicians in America are not shy of it either. A glance at history shows this to be a super-risky strategy (though in the short term it can make the individuals at the centre of it very, very powerful).
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Tom Jaye wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:12 pm I am delighted to find this community of men whose gender values are wide open and accepting of the equality we all, both men and women, want in their lives. I wear skirts, skorts, tights, flats not because I am a cd, but because I came upon the conclusion that women have clothing figured out better by far than men. you see women in tights a tunic top and ballet flats. does it get any more comfortable that that? well, yes....with a skirt.
anyway I would love to meet or chat with anyone out there who relates to this idea that women just do it better with clothes and shoes (except for stilettos!!) far better than men, so far, but we're getting there. also would love to chat with anyone in the PNW of America who is a skirt wearer and a clothing equality advocate.
Greetings TJ; I live in Costa Rica these days but frequent the PNW frequently as we have family and old roots in the region. In fact, we are house-sitting on Puget Is (in the Columbia River - between OR & WA) & with family in the Willamette Valley I have passed through PDX half a dozen times recently, and expect to a few more before we return south. There is another new member in WA and an longer term chap who has just moved here. I met with PDX fashion Dave a year or two ago at a coffee shop down your way. There are several others about, both in SC chat and some just on the street, so I'd think we might work something out for a get-together. What part of the city are you in and is your schedule relatively open? Consider it, and then use the Member Meet ups section to get something moving! I'm up for it as a formal meet up, or just a coffee stop when passing through. Meantime, try bouncing around the cafe, lots of good sections to get acquainted.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

Faldaguy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:29 am
Tom Jaye wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:12 pm I am delighted to find this community of men whose gender values are wide open and accepting of the equality we all, both men and women, want in their lives. I wear skirts, skorts, tights, flats not because I am a cd, but because I came upon the conclusion that women have clothing figured out better by far than men. you see women in tights a tunic top and ballet flats. does it get any more comfortable that that? well, yes....with a skirt.
anyway I would love to meet or chat with anyone out there who relates to this idea that women just do it better with clothes and shoes (except for stilettos!!) far better than men, so far, but we're getting there. also would love to chat with anyone in the PNW of America who is a skirt wearer and a clothing equality advocate.
Greetings TJ; I live in Costa Rica these days but frequent the PNW frequently as we have family and old roots in the region. In fact, we are house-sitting on Puget Is (in the Columbia River - between OR & WA) & with family in the Willamette Valley I have passed through PDX half a dozen times recently, and expect to a few more before we return south. There is another new member in WA and an longer term chap who has just moved here. I met with PDX fashion Dave a year or two ago at a coffee shop down your way. There are several others about, both in SC chat and some just on the street, so I'd think we might work something out for a get-together. What part of the city are you in and is your schedule relatively open? Consider it, and then use the Member Meet ups section to get something moving! I'm up for it as a formal meet up, or just a coffee stop when passing through. Meantime, try bouncing around the cafe, lots of good sections to get acquainted.
I suspect there's more of us in the portland/ vancouver area than meets the eye, some sort of meetup in public is always a possibility.
Tom Jaye

Post by Tom Jaye »

interestingly, this site is not really geared for meetups (unless I missed something. one of you referred to the meetup section which I'll go find). I wish members would ALL post where they are located. we are a small but growing community and the more "heft" we have in membership for given areas the easier it is for us to feel super good about ourselves when we are out and about in clothes/shoes originally made for women.

I have found 1900 people in the Portland cd community on Fetlife. and have met a couple guys online who are skirt wearers. plus there are 2 guys in my neighborhood in skirts, kilts and/or dresses all the time.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

My wife and I just moved about an hour north of Seattle. There seems to be a fair amount of members in or around the PNW. Interestingly, I have yet to run into a single guy wearing a skirt, though I haven't really been here for very long.

The area seems pretty accepting and friendly towards unorthodox people. I don't think you'll find a better region to test the waters... go for it!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Welcome! I'm Moonshadow's wife Liz and a supportive friend of men in skirts.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Tom Jaye

Post by Tom Jaye »

thank you both for writing. I think you'll find Seattle a very open place. probably almost as much as Portland, which I find to be the most accepting place I have ever lived. there are 2 guys who live in my neighborhood who are skirt/kilt/dress guys. both bearded, both masculine. I haven't chatted with either of them, just seen them. but nobody here gives a rip and that is wonderful!

hope you guys are endlessly happy up there north of Seattle. come down to Portland sometime where the city motto os "Keep Portland Weird"
Hairysoon

Post by Hairysoon »

I am a 67 year old gay man. I was a fierce gay man in my early years. I wore skirts in the early 80's hopping to B George's top hits. Then AIDS slowed down the gay liberation movement. I slowly shut myself down. I recently befriended a young man who is transitioning. She ignited the skirt spark within me.
I don't consider myself a cross dresser. I love being a man. I now have a ton of ideas of skirts I am going to make. My husband and I are attending a straight Christmas party and I have decided to get on the machine and spin out an formal tailored skirt to wear. Now I am thinking of adding some warm weather skirts on our transatlantic cruise to Rio from Capetown.
I feel so alive because I am reaching to another level of my authentic self.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hairysoon wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:30 pm I am a 67 year old gay man. I was a fierce gay man in my early years. I wore skirts in the early 80's hopping to B George's top hits. Then AIDS slowed down the gay liberation movement. I slowly shut myself down. I recently befriended a young man who is transitioning. She ignited the skirt spark within me.
I don't consider myself a cross dresser. I love being a man. I now have a ton of ideas of skirts I am going to make. My husband and I are attending a straight Christmas party and I have decided to get on the machine and spin out an formal tailored skirt to wear. Now I am thinking of adding some warm weather skirts on our transatlantic cruise to Rio from Capetown.
I feel so alive because I am reaching to another level of my authentic self.
Good to hear. I've been skirted while in Capetown and several SA countries (Argentina, Peru, Uruguay, Ecuador,) where sometimes you might wonder about the 'macho' aspect of the cultures, and not had any concerns. Certainly 'cruising' is an open invitation for individuality. I've not been to Brazil, though I'd think Rio an easy scene. Carry yourself with confidence and send some pics and stories of the your adventures.