One way to wear a dress

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

One way to wear a dress

Post by Coder »

A while back I had purchased a t-shirt dress. In fact, I have a small collection of varying styles, but just can't get into them - with my body proportions, something feels "off". The jury is out whether I will wear one or not, however, it occurred to me today that there is one way to wear one - and it's in concert with a skirt. I didn't take any photos of the combination, but what I did was put a skirt on over the dress, and then proceeded to untuck the dress so that it folded over the skirt. This actually solves a problem I have with shirts, namely, they are often too short to partially untuck. I like the extra folds it generated too. In a few weeks I'll give this combination a try at work, and post some photos. Until then, anyone else do this, or have any other unconventional ways to make a dress "work"?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: One way to wear a dress

Post by denimini »

I will be interested with the results.
I like the idea of dresses because they potentially offer even more freedom and coolness having the option of no constraint at the waist to hold it up and less overlap of material. Sadly most don't sit well on me and I look pregnant when I am not.
As for shirts, I have 2 varieties; normal ones for tucking in and bunching out a bit above the belt as you described or shorter ones for using untucked.
Your idea of tucking in a dress should work well with the skirt lengths you wear. We don't all like to show any bare midriff like our SkirtsDad happily and successfully does.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

denimini wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:21 am I will be interested with the results.
I like the idea of dresses because they potentially offer even more freedom and coolness having the option of no constraint at the waist to hold it up and less overlap of material. Sadly most don't sit well on me and I look pregnant when I am not.
I should point out, by layering you lose the freedom and this does add some bulkiness -> with the temps we are headed to (it has already snowed), the extra layers can be welcome.
denimini wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:21 am As for shirts, I have 2 varieties; normal ones for tucking in and bunching out a bit above the belt as you described or shorter ones for using untucked.
Your idea of tucking in a dress should work well with the skirt lengths you wear. We don't all like to show any bare midriff like our SkirtsDad happily and successfully does.
Heh, yeah, that whole look isn't for me, and especially for horrified onlookers. No, I am going to protect the world from any eye harm I could cause.

I am intrigued by tunic-length tops - and I really like the whole asymmetrical tunic over skirt look -> the same can be done with a t-shirt dress if you tuck in one side and form an asymmetrical hem. The thing keeping me from trying this out is how unconventional it will look (on top of a guy wearing a skirt). I'd like to do more layering, but I don't quite know how to get to that look you so often see in scit-fi movies without being too "out there". Stargate SG-1, in particular, had a lot of asymmetrical outfits when the team visited other worlds.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Coder wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:50 am I am intrigued by tunic-length tops -
Yes, also try searching the term peplum top, polo dress or drop waist dress.
A style that I quite like: a polo peplum top
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Coder,
From the title, a thought, "there's more than one way to skin a cat", and so it is with a dress.
When a tee-shirt becomes a dress is only a matter of length or the height of the wearer.
Micro mini and bare midriff, not for everyone, here we have a solution, 2 birds, one stone, problem solved.
For "out there" go with quirky trend setter, there's inspiration to be had here, I like it!
Thanks.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:16 pm Hi Coder,
From the title, a thought, "there's more than one way to skin a cat", and so it is with a dress.
When a tee-shirt becomes a dress is only a matter of length or the height of the wearer.
Micro mini and bare midriff, not for everyone, here we have a solution, 2 birds, one stone, problem solved.
For "out there" go with quirky trend setter, there's inspiration to be had here, I like it!
Thanks.
Steve.
Ah yes - by no means did I mean only one way. I think there are far more ways than what people normally do - and especially with layering, different looks can be achieved.