Shirt dresses

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Shirt dresses

Post by rivegauche »

I have quite a number of dresses that are similar to quite long (below knee length) shirts. The collars are softer and they button up the "other" way and some have fabric tie belts which you can leave out. They strike me as an easy entry to dresses for anyone reticent about going there. Most are not shaped to the female form and a plain coloured one has nothing at all feminine about it. Some even have pockets. You can even wear them open as a jacket over a skirt or if you want to be boring, over trousers. For some reason they seem to be more expensive than other dress type, though.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Shirt dresses

Post by crfriend »

I've been a fan of shirt-dresses for many years and view them as an easy entry-point to dresses in general. I have several, in various lengths. They're easy to wear, look good, and are comparatively easy to "accessorize". A "win" all the way 'round.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'd concur on the shirt dresses being a great option for men.
I often layer mine with a jacket, jersey or cardigan.
They are also good for work, rest and play.
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I have a knee-length tee-shirt "dress" that's full of pink hearts. I don't like the looks a whole lot but it's very comfortable. I wear it inside out while painting walls and ceilings.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

crfriend wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:33 am I've been a fan of shirt-dresses for many years and view them as an easy entry-point to dresses in general. I have several, in various lengths. They're easy to wear, look good, and are comparatively easy to "accessorize". A "win" all the way 'round.
While I only have one, I concur that they are an easy entry into dresses.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

This is my only shirt dress. I don't use the belt.
It comes to the top of my knees but, wish it was longer.
Blair Dress 2023-11-21.jpg
It is VERY comfortable :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Shirt dresses work well for men, with a shirt collar, pockets and usually not too long.
I don't wear dresses much because they don't suit my "figure" but I do own a couple; one picuted below:
Also look for polo dresses, tunics and drop waist styles.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

denimini wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:09 am Shirt dresses work well for men, with a shirt collar, pockets and usually not too long.
I don't wear dresses much because they don't suit my "figure" but I do own a couple; one picuted below:
I like you, do not wear dresses often. I will say, great fit and look in the one you're wearing though.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

KiltedBigWave wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:37 pm
denimini wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:09 am Shirt dresses work well for men, with a shirt collar, pockets and usually not too long.
I like you, do not wear dresses often. I will say, great fit and look in the one you're wearing though.
Over recent years I have picked up three long shirts (mid-thigh to just above the knees) that seem to fit the description; but I reckon, from the names on the labels, that they were all originally female night-shirts. They are all in fairly soft flannel-like fabrics, buttoned all down the front, and with (rather short) long sleeves.
Familyman34
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Here is one from 2019 and I still have it.

Steve.
20190421_114559.jpg

My first shirt dress and now one of several, a staple style especially in warm weather.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Another shirt dress which is a recent purchase. I don't often see dresses I like and this was one that was short enough with riveted pockets, captive belt and buttons not all the way down so that it is sort of between a fully buttoned shirt and a polo shirt ....... dress. A nice pattern with a subtle mixture of greys, teal and blue. Just a bit tight across the chest and shoulders although sized XL.
tunic_PC186858crm2.jpg
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

I would wear something like this probably another color. Have not seen any in the resale shops and I won't pay for a new one. The sleeves would probably not work for me anyway.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Here is one that I like and the seller reduced the price but unfortunately is a bit small across the chest.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Another that I like with every thing going for it; short, pockets, belt loops, drop waist, press stud fastening, but again too small across the chest :( Nice to know that style exists I suppose.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

Technically I wear one every night...When my parents were around we called them nighty's ...Nightshirts ... Very comfy...but these look really great,,I could go something like that...cheers..