Pleats, Front or Back or Who Cares

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Re: Pleats, Front or Back or Who Cares

Post by KiltedBigWave »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:31 pm I know a proper kilt is apron in front, pleats in back but most people wouldn't know the difference between that and a kilted skirt (I think that's the right term?) with pleats all around.

I bought an Adidas skort with some pleats in strategic places and I have become a fan of pleats all around both for the range of motion and extra modesty. I've tried some unpleated ones and they just seem too clingy/bumpy in the wrong places. Pleats are also simply more fun to wear I think, even if they're only in back.
Well said, I have to agree, well said.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

KiltedBigWave wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:52 pm
FLbreezy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:31 pm I know a proper kilt is apron in front, pleats in back but most people wouldn't know the difference between that and a kilted skirt (I think that's the right term?) with pleats all around.

I bought an Adidas skort with some pleats in strategic places and I have become a fan of pleats all around both for the range of motion and extra modesty. I've tried some unpleated ones and they just seem too clingy/bumpy in the wrong places. Pleats are also simply more fun to wear I think, even if they're only in back.
Well said, I have to agree, well said.
The pleats also break the plain of what unmentionables lie within. With the lights and pastel colors the unmentionables fabric hem and
seam lines maybe seen. With the pleats the viewing is significantly reduced. Light and pastel colors tend to be translucent - the darks
are more on the opaque side.

A kilt that is longer in hem length (commonly the knee as a max point) it would be fair to call it a kilted skirt.

As for the skort - at any given check of the eBay site results in over 40k various sizes colors designs with/out PLEATS.
A remarkable clothing item originally designed as a scooter for young girls (no back apron or pleats) and later adapted
for the more athletic female as an enhanced short skirt (think modesty?) and later adding pleated panels some on the back
some on the sides and then some all around. The better part of the skort is the sales price close to the same as a skirt
and as a few members here have found out easily converted to a simple skirt simply by cutting removing the inner shorts.
Caution skorts fabrics tend to be more sheer of thinner weight and without the pleats more translucent (revealing).
This can be an advantage in some sports lighter weight and less resistance.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Post by skirted84 »

I've long thought pleats in front sitting on the straight section makes more sense. Pleats draping between legs not getting crushed as you sit. But we are so accustomed to the rear pleats.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Yes the pleated front would not have the problematic crushing that the rear does.
Remember when you are about to sit down some place to take one or both hands
and swoop the behinder at least making an effort to aline the crushing pleats so
that they aren't too badly deformed. Unless sitting on a damp place for a long
period of time the pleats generally respond back to their original pleated state.
With knife pleats not so much a problem as with the (double) box pleats.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Yes, pleats in back help out in many ways. When starting to sit on a bench or chair,
use you hand/s to sweep the kilt/skirt forward as you are moving into a sitting position.
Although the thought of thick pleats may seem uncomfortable, the added material really helps
protect your backside from extreme heat/cold, especially when sitting on a metal bench/chair.

Don't overly worry about frontal modesty as the aprons split and fall between your legs.
A fully pleated skirt/kilt will not let the front fall far enough due somewhat limited
material/fabric. A really full skirt, say 8 to 9 yards of material, will not have this problem.
An 'economy' kilt/skirt, say 4 to 5 yards of material, will not always cover everything.

Just my $.02 worth :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)