Pleats, Front or Back or Who Cares

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Pleats, Front or Back or Who Cares

Post by KiltedBigWave »

I am attempting to move this from another discussion to address pleats in kilts.

The original discussion was about utility kilts and how some do not have many pleats in the back. My view was that I prefer my DNKE women’s kilt over my 511 that lacks of pleats in the back. Although, I really prefer my Sport Kilts that have very nice pleats throughout the back and flows nicely. I just like the look.

All my hash kilts by Sport Kilt have the double box pleat, which is a rarely used traditional method that makes for a more distinctive trail kilt. These kilts are one of the most comfortable you will ever wear, and you are connecting to the kilted past wearing this tradition.

Regardless, I would really like pleats all the way around on my kilt for even more flow, but then I guess I would be talking about a pleated skirt.

What do you think?
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pleats, Front or Back or Who Cares

Post by Modoc »

KiltedBigWave wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:45 pm

Regardless, I would really like pleats all the way around on my kilt for even more flow, but then I guess I would be talking about a pleated skirt.

What do you think?
I think it's only a matter of time until the distinction between skirt and kilt will become so blurred that only the kilt purists will be left to defend their position. I wouldn't get into an argument about it because it's just not worth the time or the aggravation, but a kilt is just a particular kind of skirt.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

I'm sure that I will catch some crap over this. I don't really care. Pleats look good but so does a nice "A" line skirt, which is what I have most of. I enjoy wearing both and nobody seems to care if I have pleats or not. The only person you have to worry about it is yourself. If pleats are a big thing then wear kilts with lots of pleats. Just wear what you want.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Modoc wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:31 pm
KiltedBigWave wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:45 pm

What do you think?
I think it's only a matter of time until the distinction between skirt and kilt will become so blurred that only the kilt purists will be left to defend their position. I wouldn't get into an argument about it because it's just not worth the time or the aggravation, but a kilt is just a particular kind of skirt.
You may be correct, only time will tell. I like to wear both.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

e2k2houck wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:53 pm I'm sure that I will catch some crap over this. I don't really care. Pleats look good but so does a nice "A" line skirt, which is what I have most of. I enjoy wearing both and nobody seems to care if I have pleats or not. The only person you have to worry about it is yourself. If pleats are a big thing then wear kilts with lots of pleats. Just wear what you want.
It is truly a matter of taste, if we all wore or like the same thing, it would be a boring world. I am not a fan of A line skirts as much for running in.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

KiltedBigWave wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:46 pm I am not a fan of A line skirts as much for running in.
I agrree with that: the only skirt from my current collection that I would ever consider running in is a lightweight kilt (traditional style, with pleats only at the back). I know that running skirts exist, but I've never had one (I usually run in shorts if it's warm, leggings if it's cold).
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Pleats give a bit of room for a good stride. When seated they do get crumpled at the back but offer some good drape at the front for modesty. Hence I prefer pleats at the front.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Before I ordered my first kilt, I watched a gentleman trying his on, and listened to the Scottish lady in charge advising him how to sit. Don't crush your pleats: smooth them with a hand as you sit, or even just give a little forward swing of the hips and let the weight of the cloth carry the pleats forward so that you can sit on them flat. (I guess this last bit wouldn't work with a lighter fabric.)

And make sure you let the apron fall between your knees for modesty's sake: this is where front pleats would come in handy!
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:53 am Before I ordered my first kilt, I watched a gentleman trying his on, and listened to the Scottish lady in charge advising him how to sit. Don't crush your pleats: smooth them with a hand as you sit, or even just give a little forward swing of the hips and let the weight of the cloth carry the pleats forward so that you can sit on them flat. (I guess this last bit wouldn't work with a lighter fabric.)

And make sure you let the apron fall between your knees for modesty's sake: this is where front pleats would come in handy!
Sounds like very good advice, thanks for sharing.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:50 pm
KiltedBigWave wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:46 pm I am not a fan of A line skirts as much for running in.
I agrree with that: the only skirt from my current collection that I would ever consider running in is a lightweight kilt (traditional style, with pleats only at the back). I know that running skirts exist, but I've never had one (I usually run in shorts if it's warm, leggings if it's cold).
I typically run in lightweight kilts with pleats only at the back, with leggings when cold. I would like to try a pleated running skirt.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I typically run in lightweight kilts with pleats only at the back, with leggings when cold. I would like to try a pleated running skirt.
Running in an all around pleated skirt would be better than the solid front unflapable apron kilt.
Less material to move aside in the running movement - resistance factor.
To cut down on the internal fabric resistance avoid the skort form
Try a tennis skirt or what passes for the new fangled sport of pickle-ball.
The other aisle skirt used in field hockey la crosse maybe a tad too long in the hem.
A skirt with minimal fabric weight and the same minimal unmentionables would be best for competitve racing.
Cheer Leader skirts with the flyaway pleats would offer minimal restriction of movement.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed/Corrected quoting format
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Not that I run anymore (old people don't run!), but by definition short and lightweight for running is the apparel norm. From the hips down the shorter the garment the more essential modesty measures are required. Girls competing may wear very skimpy bottoms but they are bulletproof opaque, so when wet don't reveal anything unwanted.

Us blokes though need to wear something less clingy and for those of us skirted, the 'skort' seems to fill the bill best, i.e'. they are equipped with matching shorties underneath. Were I to sally forth in a minikilt I would definitely specify dark or matching shorties with it.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

r.m.anderson wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:37 pm
Running in an all around pleated skirt would be better than the solid front unflapable apron kilt.
Less material to move aside in the running movement - resistance factor.
To cut down on the internal fabric resistance avoid the skort form
Try a tennis skirt or what passes for the new fangled sport of pickle-ball.
The other aisle skirt used in field hockey la crosse maybe a tad too long in the hem.
A skirt with minimal fabric weight and the same minimal unmentionables would be best for competitve racing.
Cheer Leader skirts with the flyaway pleats would offer minimal restriction of movement.
All great ideas and suggestions for skirts. I am buying my first tennis skirt now.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:17 am Not that I run anymore (old people don't run!), but by definition short and lightweight for running is the apparel norm. From the hips down the shorter the garment the more essential modesty measures are required. Girls competing may wear very skimpy bottoms but they are bulletproof opaque, so when wet don't reveal anything unwanted.

Us blokes though need to wear something less clingy and for those of us skirted, the 'skort' seems to fill the bill best, i.e'. they are equipped with matching shorties underneath. Were I to sally forth in a minikilt I would definitely specify dark or matching shorties with it.

Tom
I tend to wear the women's workout booty spandex shorts that are designed for yoga or volleyball under my short running kilts and skirts.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I know a proper kilt is apron in front, pleats in back but most people wouldn't know the difference between that and a kilted skirt (I think that's the right term?) with pleats all around.

I bought an Adidas skort with some pleats in strategic places and I have become a fan of pleats all around both for the range of motion and extra modesty. I've tried some unpleated ones and they just seem too clingy/bumpy in the wrong places. Pleats are also simply more fun to wear I think, even if they're only in back.