Skirt over pants

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt over pants

Post by Coder »

Modoc wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:18 pm Pants under skirt
As I was reading through these something jogged my memory to recall a time way back when I was in elementary school. Then the issue for girls was not being comfortable in gym class because the dresses and skirts that they were required to wear made it impossible to participate and live up to the "ladylike" moral code of the day. As a compromise, it was decided that girls could bring a pair of short pants to school to wear under their skirts and dresses but only for gym time.
This jogged one for me too. I went to a private school and in grade school they were allowed sweatpants under skirts during recess during the winter. I don't recall if we had coed gym class, but don't recall what gym was like - gym wasn't my favorite subject, unfortunately.

Also...

1) There are a lot of companies making thermal/puffer skirts nowadays, and these are often styled with leggings underneath. While not strictly pants, the intention is for a warm fit and I think this falls into the category.

2) Aprons, depending on the design, can go over pants. One in particular - the maker skirt: https://tovewear.com/looks This company routinely features models with their skirt over pants, jeggings, and (less related) leggings. I've worn mine over jeggings - it's not the most comfortable all-day fit - but it great when the situation demands an apron over pants. I've actually used it more as an overskirt (that is to say, skirt over skirt) when working in the workshop, and for that it excels - but it can be worn by itself.

3) Finally, and I know I've seen this done before. I've seen women wear a micro mini skirt over pants, usually in a formal situation. It can look kind of like the hem of a peplum top.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:19 pm How about skirt over shorts? :D I'll admit I don't like the skirt-over-pants options personally, but I've been finding myself wearing my ClHu utility skirt lately which is a rather utilitarian nylon skirt with sown in heavy sweatpants that are shorts length, they just peek out a bit. They're nice when the weathers cool but not cold and I'm doing stuff outside. I don't find jeans comfortable and I don't like just wearing sweatpants (there's a reason women talk about "grey sweatpants season" :oops: ) and these were a nice compromise. A bit expensive for what they are but I got them on a good discount last year. It wouldn't be difficult to recreate independently.
Good fit! I too bought that skirt on discount - the shorts on mine are a bit longer than I care for though and I've contemplated trimming. I think the look is distinctive enough - that it's just a bit avant-garde - enough so to say you are wearing something different and not just a regular skirt.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Coder wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:03 pm 2) Aprons, depending on the design, can go over pants. One in particular - the maker skirt: https://tovewear.com/looks
<snip>
but it great when the situation demands an apron over pants. I've actually used it more as an overskirt (that is to say, skirt over skirt) when working in the workshop, and for that it excels - but it can be worn by itself.
I love the 'concept' of the Apron/Farm dress but their pricing is way out in left field.
This reminds me of the A-Line Overall Dress, similar to these:
(Pictures are product links.)

and this
Both are from Walmart, different brands, at less than 1/3 the cost of the "Tovewear" product.
I 'googled' Skirtalls and had 93,000+ results. So, I tried the least expensive route to find Skirtalls,
That is WHY I've shown the Walmart on-line product source. They offer many different "brands",
well below "Designer" prices :D

MY only problem with the "dress" is, usually, it's too short. :(
With adjustable shoulder straps, it might work but must wait until after mid-January
to start experimenting with them :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Yes - Tovewear's skirts/dresses are expensive, I'd like to chalk that up to how she has them produced, limited batches and ethically -> you are buying more than fabric. Is that right? Time will tell with these companies, and I don't buy to be ethical - that is to say I get my positive vibes from helping people out directly - but it was a design I had wanted for the longest time and am pleased with the two I purchased. The design isn't 100% unique as you point out, and the apron-wrap-skirt is probably more common than we can comprehend. A few years ago I bought a vintage B&W check-wrap skirt, most likely homemade, and its construction was very familiar. The latest skirtcraft design is of a similar nature, and so on.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I was reviewing another thread, Etalon Mens Skirt/Short. Scooters were mentioned-these were shorts for girls, sporting an apron in front. A gateway garment for pants, in effect.

Baby steps....

I can imagine a scooter type rig as transitional to skirts, or some sort of skirt-over-shorts rig.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Saw a woman out today in short tight skirt over skinny jeans.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:04 pm The "Barn Door" comment, usually relates to a boy who forgot to zip-up his pants after visiting
the restroom/bathroom at school. Another phrase was to tell a male to XYZ(Check Your Zipper)
after departing a public restroom/bathroom, say at a restaurant or other eatery.
I've heard the barn door comment, as well as XYZ for your fly being open. I understood the latter to be an abbreviation for "eXamine Your Zipper" which mostly makes sense...
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ugh. Whilst I like the colour palette deployed in the photo, I just can't get around how wearing both types at once looks insanely, "Fashion Victim" and more than a bit slovenly unless it's done immaculately.

Let the kiddies have it. They don't have much of a clue anyway.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

That image is from a movie...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

From that article, I found this interesting:
“There’s so much of this at art schools at the moment,” says Jay McCauley Bowstead, lecturer in cultural and historical studies at the London College of Fashion. “At Saint Martins the other week, it felt like every third student I saw was wearing a skirt over trousers, the women and the guys as well.” He says there are various takes on it, including kilts, miniskirts or sometimes a piece of cloth wrapped around.
They mention this being a 00's trend... but if it was it was solely a women's trend at that time. So I think this is a good sign of progress since the article mentions men. I'm trying not to read too much into what "The Psychology of Clothes" says, but I think it's a very easy way for a random guy to try a skirt out.
crfriend wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:47 pm Ugh. Whilst I like the colour palette deployed in the photo, I just can't get around how wearing both types at once looks insanely, "Fashion Victim" and more than a bit slovenly unless it's done immaculately.

Let the kiddies have it. They don't have much of a clue anyway.
I think "Fashion Victim" is the best way to describe the style, however I don't think we should be so dismissive of the younger generation. They will be the ones who forge ahead with some style/fashion and will be the future designers. We see something differently, and with clothes being subjective to some extent, they may be cultivating a different aesthetic (even if that cultivation is but throwing things against a wall and seeing what sticks).
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

A skirt over trousers is not something I would wear. I could say lots of reasons but the truth is, I dont like the style and I see it as a bit of a cop out. I don"t like the style but I do respect the style of others. Beauty is in the eye.

I'm not perfect either. I am a fan of let's face it.. pretty skirts. If i can't admit it then I'm only lying to myself. I am sure that plenty of guys would feel mildly sick at the sight of me.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:03 pmI am a fan of let's face it.. pretty skirts. If i can't admit it then I'm only lying to myself. I am sure that plenty of guys would feel mildly sick at the sight of me.
This all revolves around how one defines the term "pretty". If you're using the colloquial definition of the term you're approaching "cute" rather than truly aesthetically attractive. I strive for the latter, and I try for rather timeless looks.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

crfriend wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:11 am
Barleymower wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:03 pmI am a fan of let's face it.. pretty skirts. If i can't admit it then I'm only lying to myself. I am sure that plenty of guys would feel mildly sick at the sight of me.
This all revolves around how one defines the term "pretty". If you're using the colloquial definition of the term you're approaching "cute" rather than truly aesthetically attractive. I strive for the latter, and I try for rather timeless looks.
That's a better way of putting it Carl. Hamsters are cute.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Perhaps the idea is coming back.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia