Skirt over pants

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt over pants

Post by skirtyscot »

Hey FLbreezy, your underwear is too long, it's showing! When I was at school there was a phrase for when a girl's slip was sticking out below her skirt: "It's raining in Paris".

But I digress. That item of yours would be better if the inner shorts were shorter than the skirt. It would look so much neater.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

skirtyscot wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:45 am Hey FLbreezy, your underwear is too long, it's showing! When I was at school there was a phrase for when a girl's slip was sticking out below her skirt: "It's raining in Paris".
In the rural areas around here, the expression was "Charlie's dead".
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Where I grew up a 'showing slip' was referred to as "It's Snowing Down South". :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:01 am Where I grew up a 'showing slip' was referred to as "It's Snowing Down South". :D

Uncle Al
That makes sense - goodness knows how the other expressions came about.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Just based on these sayings, I can understand why some women don't like skirts! I know slips aren't necessarily underwear, but they are meant to be hidden. It sounds like these phrases were common - maybe equivalent to the barn door being open (could be either a discreet way of letting a lady know he slip was showing vs a taunt in the schoolyard) - causing a momentary bit of embarrassment before the wardrobe malfunction was corrected. Problem with slips, however... they are difficult to correct discreetly.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The SLIP wasn't called a slip for some random reason and when the slip itself slipped things began to go south of raining/snowing in Paris.
Takes some radical fidgeting to hoist the said slip higher on the waist line while avoiding further showing of other unmentionables.

It is a slippery slope wearing a slip - -

So pardon me boys while I escape to an inner chamber for mon-adjustment !

For some skirt and kilt wearers the slip helps solve the itchy wool complex.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:13 pm The SLIP wasn't called a slip for some random reason and when the slip itself slipped things began to go south of raining/snowing in Paris.
Takes some radical fidgeting to hoist the said slip higher on the waist line while avoiding further showing of other unmentionables.
There are forms that have shoulder straps which completely obviate the problem of the things coming loose at the waist. Jus' sayin'.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Coder wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:23 pmIt sounds like these phrases were common - maybe equivalent to the barn door being open (a taunt in the schoolyard) - causing a momentary bit of embarrassment before the wardrobe malfunction was corrected.
This "slippery" topic really delves with 1/2(half) slips. A full slip hangs from the shoulders.
If the straps move off the shoulders then, it too, would "snow down south".

The "Barn Door" comment, usually relates to a boy who forgot to zip-up his pants after visiting
the restroom/bathroom at school. Another phrase was to tell a male to XYZ(Check Your Zipper)
after departing a public restroom/bathroom, say at a restaurant or other eatery.

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I went to our local parkrun this morning, and since it was the closest Saturday morning to St Andrew's Day, I wore a lightweight kilt. However, it was also extremely cold (many of the runners acquired frost rims on eyebrows, gloves, beards, etc.), so under the kilt I was wearing cycling shorts. This worked well in terms of comfort, and the shorts didn't show beyond the hem of the kilt.

One woman inquired rather impolitely about my underwear, but I was running past at speed so I just waved cheerily and headed on. It never ceases to amaze me how people who otherwise appear civilized will see a kilt and start making quite inappropriate comments, apparently in the mistaken belief that they are being funny.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I don't understand the things about a slip being visible, going down, etc. To me, a slip is this: https://snipboard.io/1ZwnFL.jpg
I've worn them since longer than I remember and never have had such an issue, except eventually when they were worn out or too big. In both cases this is directly noticeable and I simply changed before leaving home. Are you speaking about another kind of underwear or is there something I missed?
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Spirou003 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:02 am I don't understand the things about a slip being visible, going down, etc. To me, a slip is this: https://snipboard.io/1ZwnFL.jpg
Are you speaking about another kind of underwear or is there something I missed?
In the 'western world' a slip, or half slip, is an undergarment used to provide opaqueness to very
thin fabric. It blocks the view of anyone looking for something that is private. Also, it is used
to provide a non-clinging buffer between skirt/dress fabric and pantyhose. If thick enough, a
slip provides warmth under a skirt/dress, helping to block unwanted cold air in winter.

I hope this helps to eliminate confusion.

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

My personal opinion of skirts over pants (trousers): UGH!
I have worn dresses except for a very few times recently. And I can count the pushback for my wearing dresses on one finger.

John
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Only a half slip can slip. A full slip has straps over the shoulder and is effectively a dress. I always wear a slip under a dress and would wear a full slip if I wore one with a skirt.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

But a full slip can have shoulder straps that slip off one's shoulder or go to the side and become visible.

As it is underwear, I find that a little embarrassing, although I see it happening to others also. The visible strap may also make people think one is wearing a bra, which I don't do, nor want to do.

But a full slip is still more comfortable most of the time.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Pants under skirt
As I was reading through these something jogged my memory to recall a time way back when I was in elementary school. Then the issue for girls was not being comfortable in gym class because the dresses and skirts that they were required to wear made it impossible to participate and live up to the "ladylike" moral code of the day. As a compromise, it was decided that girls could bring a pair of short pants to school to wear under their skirts and dresses but only for gym time. Well, now that meant the cat was out of the bag a few of the more daring ones would put on the the shorts at gym time and not take them off and maybe even remove the skirts they were wearing altogether and have on just the shorts. There was all kinds of hullabaloo about it but to make it a short story. It wasn't long before girls started wearing pants to school all day as I recall. For the sake of reference, this was in the early to mid-60s.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin