Weather in your location ?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Re: Weather in your location ?

Post by Uncle Al »

Well, Mother Nature is at it again, messing around with the temperature :|
Last weekend, the temps were in the mid 70's F. Yesterday was in the mid 60's.
Last night the low was down to 36°F and now, 4:30PM-ish, 43°F.
I wonder when this "Yo-Yo" effect of temperature changes will calm down :|
No wonder why most people get sick this time of year :(

It's hard to decide what to wear with the fluctuation in temperatures. :bom:
I want to keep warm but remain comfortable....What to do...What to do.. :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:48 pm It's hard to decide what to wear with the fluctuation in temperatures. :bom:
I want to keep warm but remain comfortable....What to do...What to do.. :|

Uncle Al
Well I stay bare-foot all year round for one thing. I sleep in a very warm and snugly bed. I also stay warm and dry in my house most of the winter. I hate cold weather!!!
I was born and raised in Pennsylvania and left there in 1960 at the tender age of 17 when I joined my Uncle's Air Force. He sent me to Texas and then Mississippi before shipping me to South Carolina in 1962. And here is where I stayed. NO snow for me, I still have to face some cold weather but not as long a time or as bad, than if I was still up North.
If I had my druthers Uncle would have shipped me to Miami Fla. but He did not....
So here I stay!! :cheers: :thumleft: :thumright:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Well this week in Melbourne, Australia, Tuesday 37C, some areas of the State listed as catastrophic fire warning levels, due to high level north winds, at 4pm one of the worse storms in decades hit the state, lasted maybe 30 minutes, the result up to 250 000 homes and businesses without power, some areas of the state will take weeks to get power back on. Today a nice calm 25C

John
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Calm, mild and sunny. 14 deg. Centipede great for February here. Not a single flake of snow so far this Winter or for the last 5 years, but we're not through yet. I recall we had 20 inches (Half a meter) of snow in March 2018.

My weekend galley-slaving was carried out in almost early Summer conditions this morning.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well, Tom, if you were all the way up in the prow then you're the farthest from the camera. It also looks like you have a missing oarsman as well. What's that do to lateral stability and steerability once underway?

In any event, awful conditions to be on the water. But, once going at full steam I suspect everybody was pretty warm.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Carl,
The cox is holding onto a rigger to steady the boat. Our no. 7 man jumped out to take that photo. We did only one 'run' to Chapelizod & back (5Km) that morning as the conditions were frankly appalling.
A glorious compensation for all that is what frequently happens on nice weekend mornings (pic).

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:21 amThe cox is holding onto a rigger to steady the boat. Our no. 7 man jumped out to take that photo.
That explains it all, then. No worries. being 25% down on thrust on one side would have made the cox's job harder as he'd have to counter the asymmetrical thrust with a small rudder. But, that photo shows up just how spectacular that river is. I adore that bridge!

I'd have frozen my backside off before shoving off, but once at full power likely would have been fine.

Is it the barking of the cox that drives the cadence or are you "old school" and use music? Both are valid!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The Samuel Beckett bridge is regularly maintained and rotated at night when there's little traffic about every two weeks, so it will function flawlessly on special occasions e.g. when the tall ships assemble. Normally no maritime traffic passes, so it stays shut.

Our regular rowers are all former champions to a man and minimal orders sotto-voce over the on-board speaker system transmits pace changes &c. One of our coxes however fancies himself as a coach and tends to babble on about our performance like a grammaphone record. He's the only one who's the same age as myself, so I forgive him. He shows up reliably in all weathers and wraps himself up against the cold as he can't warm himself otherwise.

Tom
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I just purchased a long-sleeve knit (Henley shirt style) dress. Great for cooler/colder weather. I haven't
worn in yet as it's too warm for long sleeves :( as today, the OAT(Outside Air Temperature) is 90°F / 32.2°C.
Maybe the OAT will cool off in the next week or so, as I would like to wear the garment :)

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:12 pm I just purchased a long-sleeve knit (Henley shirt style) dress. Great for cooler/colder weather. I haven't
worn in yet as it's too warm for long sleeves :( as today, the OAT(Outside Air Temperature) is 90°F / 32.2°C.
Maybe the OAT will cool off in the next week or so, as I would like to wear the garment :)

Uncle Al
Al, IT'S TEXAS, Just give it a day and tomorrow it will either be colder (freezing) or raining or even snowing!! It is the same here in South Carolina, one day it is hotter than a skillet on a bon-fire the next colder than a witches heart in the Arctic. :lol:
:lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Today/tonight might be interesting. The temperature is forecast to drop 57°F. Could be stormy!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

You were right, Fred :|
Last night/early this morning(around 3:30-ish AM) the wind started to blow.
And blow, AND blow, AND BLOW :!: 27MPH from the North.
The O.A.T. is 46°F as the Warmest Temp for today :|

:hmmm:
Who knows, maybe we'll have snow on St. Patrick's Day :D :faint:

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The last flake of snow we saw here was in March 2018. No change, and this morning March 1st we woke to a Winter Wonderland (Irish version) which predictably brought travel chaos Country-wide.

The snow rapidly turned to rain and by afternoon most of it was gone. I took a few opportunist pics shortly after Dawn knowing full well that would happen. It did however cancel my Club's interest in travelling 100-0dd miles to Enniskillen for 6+Km row where for tomorrow NW winds of force 6-7 against the flow & temps of 1-2 deg. C. will make for untenable conditions, so we geriatrics have opted to stay at home under our electric blankets

Tom
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The little one's first sight and experience with snow! How wonderful is that?

(She'll learn to detest the stuff in due time!)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:01 pm She'll learn to detest the stuff in due time!)
Usually about the time one stops being able to miss a days school for a "snow day" and starts having to report to work anyway, which involves scraping windshields, fitting snow chains, shoveling paths and digging yourself out of roadside ditches...

Yeah... kinda saps the romance...

Even if you get to stay home.... it's all fun and games until the water lines freeze.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.