National Skirt Day March 10th

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

National Skirt Day March 10th

Post by KiltedBigWave »

If this has already been posted, sorry.

I know National Skirt Day on March 10th is a way away, but I am already planning.

Pretty simple, as you might imagine! Male or female, dig into your wardrobe (or your partner’s!) and find a skirt to wear and go about your day adorned in it.

As I love short, pleated skirts, I am sure to be in a nice one with ankle boots or mary janes. No wig or makeup I'm not trying to be a woman, just me dressed as I like. It will be a day of shopping lunch and a stop at the local pub. I may even put together an event in my area to draw more out for some fun.

Read more about it and tell us what you plan to do. https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/skirt-day/
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Re: National Skirt Day March 10th

Post by timemeddler »

not a bad idea.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sounds like fun. I will have to think of something different to what I wear every day. However without disrespect, most people won't know what day it is.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

I had absolutely no idea that there was such a thing... Oh well, we shall see what transpires around here.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

KiltedBigWave wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:30 pm If this has already been posted, sorry.

I know National Skirt Day on March 10th is a way away, but I am already planning.

Pretty simple, as you might imagine! Male or female, dig into your wardrobe (or your partner’s!) and find a skirt to wear and go about your day adorned in it.

As I love short, pleated skirts, I am sure to be in a nice one with ankle boots or mary janes. No wig or makeup I'm not trying to be a woman, just me dressed as I like. It will be a day of shopping lunch and a stop at the local pub. I may even put together an event in my area to draw more out for some fun.

Read more about it and tell us what you plan to do. https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/skirt-day/
Hi KBW
I gave it a go last year and sent a letter to every school in my area. The letter encouraged everyone to wear skirts for one day.

Here is the letter:

To the Head of XXXXX School,

I am writing to all the schools in the area to raise awareness of International Skirts Day in on the 10th March.
https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/skirt-day/

I wanted to draw all the school's attention to international skirts day. The day is a great chance for everyone to come together for the day, wear a skirt and have fun. Please encourage all your students (Girls and Boys) to come to school in a skirt and celebrate the day together. This nominated day is not on a par with International Woman / Men’s Day but it could be if enough people recognise the opportunity presenting itself.

I am the father of three children who all attend schools in the area. My youngest son expressed an interest in skirts and my daughter has said they are non-binary. My children told me about themselves thinking I would be cross with them for not conforming with traditional gender values. I was not in the least cross and I fully support my children and their exploration of their own genders. I even tried a skirt myself. I found the garment to be very comfortable and super freeing. I am a fan.

I think that many men could be afraid to wear a skirt, because it would call their masculinity into question. But I think that being secure in yourself and trying new things is a healthy form of masculinity. My personal belief is that a gender binary is much too simplistic to capture the complexity of real people, and I am not scared to be associated with the "feminine."

This is also a way to experience empathy. No pockets! Or riding a bike or sitting without showing tomorrows laundry. This idea is not making fun of the feminine. So I'm trying to do this in a respectful way. If you are old like me, you might remember David Beckham in a sarong, everyone was shocked. It's 2023 we are better than that now. If you really believe that men and women are equal, then it should be ok to do this, to be associated with the feminine. I know I am.

There is a lot of bad feeling around gender differences at the moment. I think if we can bring the genders closer together there will be less aggression and more cooperation between men and women. If the skirt becomes common place between both sexes, then there can only be positive outcomes.

Please support International Skirts Day and encourage everyone to wear a skirt on Friday March 10th.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Plan to do?

I plan to wear a kilt. That date is a planned trip of 500 miles back to our home after "wintering" in the southeast. A kilt (or skirt) is so much more comfortable when driving long distances than are shorts or jeans.

However, I will likely be kilted every day between now and then, anyway.
If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Not with standing I will be wearing a skirt on the day!

Here is the thread from last year:

viewtopic.php?p=245696#p245696
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Barley Mower,

As you can imagine, I plan on being in a nice pleated with ankle boots or mary janes. No wig or makeup I'm not trying to be a woman, just me dressed as I like. It will be a day of shopping lunch and a stop at the local pub.

I am also thinking of putting together an event in my area to draw more out for some fun.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Comments - notes on the margin - - -

Notice that it is NATIONAL Skirt day - national being only in the sense of the USA - - -
In reality it should be INTERnational Skirt Day.

This just as the same National Tartan Day - applicable to Canada and the USA

April 6 Tartan Day
Tartan Day is a North American celebration of Scottish heritage on the 6th of April, the date on which the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. It recognizes and celebrates the contributions of Scots and their descendants in Canada.

July 1
International Tartan Day
Tartan Day is a celebration of Scottish heritage in some English-speaking countries. In Australia and New Zealand, it is held annually on July 1 and is sometimes referred to as International Tartan Day.

Always something to celebrate the wearing of me skirt ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Here's a sobering thought, how many here went out of their way to wear a skirt on the 19th of November?
That was International Men's Day and this year's theme was "Zero Male Suicide".
Statistically men are 3 times more likely to commit suicide than women and a good deal of that is that men and boys are not encouraged to express their own true feelings among other men.
The skirt day thing began in the 2000s as a jolly social media jape for women, "an excuse to shop", like men hate shopping, don't they?
A bit of fun, no harm done, all good, but wait.
Skirts are not everything but given all the stress and anxiety around a man in a skirt, who knows what damage that inflicts?
19th November, perhaps no other guy donned a skirt because of me, but maybe, just maybe I showed someone that there are always alternatives, choices.
10th March, is no more or less special than any other day and trying to make it so for MIS only postpones the time when it really will cease to be remarkable and wholly acceptable by men for men.
The cynical me has returned.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I came down stairs ro dinner in my wife's skirt in April 2022, having nor not worn a skirt for approximately 50 years (I looked on though in that time). I walked my kids to the station in the morning in a skirt, I went shopping in town at weekends plus some other outings.
One of my wife's workmates said she had seen a man in town and it was definitely a man in a skirt. I think that might have been Adrian she said. Since then I have seen several guys here in skirts. Two full fems trans women, one older man in a kilt, a young guy in well chosen outfit, and one working in a thrift store. Not one of them has spoken to me.
I have never seen guys like this before here or at least very rarely. Maybe they saw me and thought I'm going for it? you never know but I hope so.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:03 pmHere's a sobering thought, how many here went out of their way to wear a skirt on the 19th of November?
That was International Men's Day and this year's theme was "Zero Male Suicide".
Statistically men are 3 times more likely to commit suicide than women and a good deal of that is that men and boys are not encouraged to express their own true feelings among other men.
The skirt day thing began in the 2000s as a jolly social media jape for women, "an excuse to shop", like men hate shopping, don't they?
A bit of fun, no harm done, all good, but wait.
Skirts are not everything but given all the stress and anxiety around a man in a skirt, who knows what damage that inflicts?
It inflicts plenty. I'm not sure precisely what I wore on 2023-11-19, but it was almost certainly skirt-based -- I'd wager on it, and was entirely likely with my current lady-friend.

Having been in a deeply-suicidal state in mid/late 2013 I know precisely how deep and black that pit can be. It's no fun at all! But I eventually came out the other side, rather stronger than before -- and then got presented with the mess from 2015. A classic double-whammy.

In discussing the whole affair with a good pal of mine (who has very sadly since passed), it came out that perhaps the only reason I survived the bout in 2013 was that I had trivial access to firearms and ammunition. This completely gobsmacked my friend, who was a retired mental-health practitioner, until I explained the reasoning: "it removed all anxiety about method." With that settled, I could focus on the more important stuff. By contrast, the 2015 debacle was gotten through on rage and a steadfast determination not to let "her" "win". I prevailed in both, and 2015 was resolved by me classifying the thing as a death -- which my good friend commented was "likely the entirely right thing to do." (I am not fettered with the belief that I must suppress emotion. Only a fool believes in doing that.)

I really wish more attention was being paid to the epidemic of suicide we have today, but I quite honestly don't see any motion or action on the matter. Deep societal forces are in action that are causing it, and the problem is that those actions are directly benefiting a certain subset of the population who have no conscience nor sense of ethics. There's lots of money to be made in hopelessness.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Thankfully here in Australia there are certainly programs that are aimed at teenager boys and guys concerning mental health and I believe are growing.

John
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

r.m.anderson wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:11 pm Comments - notes on the margin - - -

Notice that it is NATIONAL Skirt day - national being only in the sense of the USA - - -
In reality it should be INTERnational Skirt Day.

This just as the same National Tartan Day - applicable to Canada and the USA

April 6 Tartan Day
Tartan Day is a North American celebration of Scottish heritage on the 6th of April, the date on which the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. It recognizes and celebrates the contributions of Scots and their descendants in Canada.

July 1
International Tartan Day
Tartan Day is a celebration of Scottish heritage in some English-speaking countries. In Australia and New Zealand, it is held annually on July 1 and is sometimes referred to as International Tartan Day.

Always something to celebrate the wearing of me skirt ! LOL !
Well now we have multiple days we can celebrate by wearing a skirt or a kilt. Although, I will still be in skirts and kilts in public many other days throughout the year.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

I do believe that this is the first time I've heard of this thing. I don't know what I was wearing on March 10 of this year but it was probably a skirt, maybe a dress. It's on my calendar for next year, not so much as a date for me to wear a skirt every day could be that, but as a day for me to be more alert as to who else may be doing so.
Interesting side note: I googled it and came up with a calendar that has a whole list of observances by date, at least in the US. There are many and a creative imaginative person could work skirts into a lot of them if he felt so inclined.
https://www.listofnationaldays.com/
For Insatance Dec 8 Pretend to be a Time Traveler Day would be a perfect opportunity to wear a skirted garment from the past or the future. who could argue. :)
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin