Skirt Idea: Add some weights to the hem!

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Skirt Idea: Add some weights to the hem!

Post by Coder »

Just learned this today:

https://itch-to-stitch.com/make-skirt-d ... autifully/

Pennies, "hem chain" or other such devices can help tame a floaty skirt. I'm probably going to give this a try on a few skirts of mine that are too "wispy" for me.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Idea: Add some weights to the hem!

Post by r.m.anderson »

Excellent idea to control an unruly skirt hem blowing in the wind.
Think a sort of it like a kilt pin for controlling the flapable outer apron.

A caution - I remove the kilt pin from my tartan kilts skirts - found undue wear on the fabric in washing (machine) and drying
The idea of coins wrapped in a fabric pouch is a good idea to avoid wear and tear on the skirt fabric.
In lieu of coins could also use (hardware) washers.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

r.m.anderson wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:49 pm The idea of coins wrapped in a fabric pouch is a good idea to avoid wear and tear on the skirt fabric.
I would be concerned with washers rusting and making stains that were hard to remove. I've accidentally left safety pins in something as I washed it and had that problem. Coins don't rust and are cheaper than washers.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Jim wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:26 pm
r.m.anderson wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:49 pm The idea of coins wrapped in a fabric pouch is a good idea to avoid wear and tear on the skirt fabric.
I would be concerned with washers rusting and making stains that were hard to remove. I've accidentally left safety pins in something as I washed it and had that problem. Coins don't rust and are cheaper than washers.
Good point about rusting of ferrous based metals - but - consider using stainless steel - copper or nickle granted a tad more expensive.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

My “money” would be on stainless in either chain form or removable washers/discs. I suppose if one wanted a hoop effect, you could use braided stainless cable.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:05 pmI suppose if one wanted a hoop effect, you could use braided stainless cable.
They key here is flexibility. Using chain as a weight work well as the chain is inherently flexible. For a hoop effect, you'll need to use spring steel because that will keep the shape of the hoop. Braided cable is deformable and will tend to retain the shape it was last bent into -- not what you want from a "hoop" if you're a klutz and bump into things occasionally (never-mind what would happen when getting into/out of a car).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:05 pm My “money” would be on stainless in either chain form or removable washers/discs. I suppose if one wanted a hoop effect, you could use braided stainless cable.
I have had a go at hem weights and ... failed. I bought some clip on weights but the additional weight took some getting used too. Also the weights kept banging into my legs, it got old quickly and I took them off.
Then I got some curtain weights. They are little pellets of lead with a string running the middle. The finished rope is then put into a little cotton sock. I sewed them into the hem of a light weight pleated skirt. The rope spoiled the shape of the skirt, felt heavy and more banging into my legs.
As a aside with flyaway skirts I have found that the worst culprits are lightweight with lots of fabric (of course).
A full lightweight skirt but with less fabric is much more manageable. So now I only wear my pleated grey skirt when there's no wind. Same with some of the rest of my little collection.
All fairly obvious really.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

I enjoy wearing a skirt that's blowing in the wind. If I expect that's going to be the case I wear boxer briefs and enjoy the breeze.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Just don't wear floaty skirts on windy days unless you enjoy the fun of sailing when you are just walking as some of us do. Weights banging on legs does not sound comfortable and a hoop could be worse in wind as it could go like an inverted umbrella.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

A friend who was a theatrical costumier went to a folk event in a pub wearing a skirt from the chorus of Carmen, with a chain-weighted hem. It was circular with a huge amount of material and formed a disc when spun. She demonstrated this with a vigorous twirl -- the skirt spun out flat and the hem cleared all the drinks off the pub table. She had to pay for the lot.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:14 pm
Coder wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:05 pm My “money” would be on stainless in either chain form or removable washers/discs. I suppose if one wanted a hoop effect, you could use braided stainless cable.
I have had a go at hem weights and ... failed. I bought some clip on weights but the additional weight took some getting used too. Also the weights kept banging into my legs, it got old quickly and I took them off.
Then I got some curtain weights. They are little pellets of lead with a string running the middle. The finished rope is then put into a little cotton sock. I sewed them into the hem of a light weight pleated skirt. The rope spoiled the shape of the skirt, felt heavy and more banging into my legs.
Are these "curtain weights" the same as the ones that are often used along the bottom edge of shower curtains?

We find that cheapish shower curtains only last for two or three years before they become yellowed (hard water supply, cleaned with bleach every two months or so before being machine-washed on a white cottons programme).

I reckon that I could probably re-use the weights from a now-abandoned spare/emergency shower curtain in a light skirt - at least they won't rust!
Familyman34
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

familyman34 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:21 am
Barleymower wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:14 pm
Are these "curtain weights" the same as the ones that are often used along the bottom edge of shower curtains?

We find that cheapish shower curtains only last for two or three years before they become yellowed (hard water supply, cleaned with bleach every two months or so before being machine-washed on a white cottons programme).

I reckon that I could probably re-use the weights from a now-abandoned spare/emergency shower curtain in a light skirt - at least they won't rust!
Exactly that. They are made of lead and don't rust. Just the ticket if you don't mind the extra weight.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

FYI - SOME shower curtains use magnets as weights.
The last one's we purchased would hold to the tub(shower) when closed.
If the curtain was moved away from the tub(shower) by 1/2 or 1 inch,
the magnets stopped holding onto the tub.

I'ld suggest being careful if using 'Shower Curtain Weights'.
Your skirt could end up with a "Magnetic" personality of its own :oops:
Also, if traveling, the weights will set off the scanners at the airport.
My kilt pin and buckles set it off, had to do a hand-scan :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:38 pm FYI - SOME shower curtains use magnets as weights.
The last one's we purchased would hold to the tub(shower) when closed.
If the curtain was moved away from the tub(shower) by 1/2 or 1 inch,
the magnets stopped holding onto the tub.

I'ld suggest being careful if using 'Shower Curtain Weights'.
Your skirt could end up with a "Magnetic" personality of its own :oops:
Also, if traveling, the weights will set off the scanners at the airport.
My kilt pin and buckles set it off, had to do a hand-scan :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
kilt pin and buckles set it off, had to do a hand-scan

And yup those magnets will do it every time - creating an attractive nuisance to the screening device

Interesting how the TSA handles kilt wearers -
The kilt pin could be used as a weapon of sorts but I have never had any problems - some big ole safety pin !
Now the sgian dubh that is a whole nother issue - absolutely verboten !

The kilt buckles when the agent realizes that undoing the buckles means to disrobe from the kilt
best use the ole hand scanner or possible the discrete private booth screening.
I generally wear the velcro closure kilts when traveling to avoid this problem.

Then again I have not seen any kilted terrorists.
There is no evading the body scanner for hidden items within the apron folds of the kilt.
Kilted passengers certainly don't fit the profile and I must admit that I have the Global Entry card (advanced TSA clearance)
and pass through with the breeze although I am not commando.
I did get the treatment one time with all the TSA PRE-CHECK credentials - asked the agent he said I was randomly picked
out of a undisclosed number of passengers - just part of the job.

Wearing the kilt passing the TSA check points not much of an issue - beware however making strange gestures that may
cause one to be observed and selected for more than the usual search (perhaps wearing that itchy wool kilt commando) LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I could see adding weights to the entire hem as Yes a "leg banger" that would get old quickly while walking.
And I could see being potentially painful in one had to run in a skirt with a weighted hem.

I'm not sure how the skirt would look ,hang and react If just two weights were used, one on each side.
Might provide benefit with out some of the pain.

I don't typically wear to floaty of skirts as they are not my style.

I could suggest wearing a heavier skirt under neath the floaty skirt. One that you know is more wind resistant.

I have experimented with skirts in multiple ways.

In that I regularly use a shorter skirt like a skater skirt under my kilts to act like a kilt liner. A simple jersey cotton skater skirt is far easier and cheaper to come by than buying a actual kilt liner. And far easier to clean than a kilt.

I also have worn shorter skirts over top of a longer skirt.

I'm not very fashion conscious, so I don't really know if or what if any combinations work. I do know it opens alot of near infinite combinations. Mixing various lengths and color combinations.
I would just kinda near randomly pair up two skirts and try them on to see what they look like layered
Generally putting the one with the fuller skirt on the top. For better results.

It doesn't seem to work as well if I tried putting a line skirt over top of a circle skirt. It kinda just bunches up the circle skirt. It seems to work better to wear the circle skirt over top of a longer a line style skirt.

I had a lot of fun just trying out different combinations, and went as far as trying layering 3 different skirts just for fun.
Play around with your skirts in combination,and comment back here on what you think.
Multiple skirts will also keep you warmer if you are experiencing winter weather right now in your part of the world.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.