Boots/legwear

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Boots/legwear

Post by skirted84 »

Aside from skirts, what else might others wear on lower half traditionally considered feminine in a masculine context? I already wear various skirts, and tights if weather calls for it. 40D or above and dark colours, or none if not that cold. Wearing boots as a man again takes a little thought. I have brown Uggs which I love, though originally bought in the TG phase thats largely consigned to history and they look fine as menswear, with skirts or jeans. I definitely draw a line at tall heels which have no practical need, same with shoes. In the UK there are a number of unisex options like Allstar, Vans, Skechers too.

Changed days from my "kilt and socks only" stance which some still swear by.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Boots/legwear

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I have a pair of Eastern European army surplus boots (black, knee height) which I bought years ago as I thought they looked cool; but they are very heavy and I usually wear them in winter with trousers, or occasionally a kilt. I have a pair of tall laced DMs which I rarely get out of the cupboard, but have worn with a kilt. More recently I have also bought a pair of brown knee-length boots from Hotter, and a black faux-suede pair from Tesco, both marketed for women.

I also have a number of pairs of ankle boots (too many, I am informed by my wife), mostly bought online, though I have one pair from John Lewis women's department. I have been unable so far to find what I want, which is ankle boots with a low heel (like, one inch, or less than two): the heeled boots are generally on the uncomfortable side if you actually need to walk anywhere. And I know from experience that corns are to be avoided! I have one pair of women's heeled sandals, but have hardly worn them; and I have one pair of shiny black patent leather Mary-Jane (T-bar) shoes, which I have worn with a kilt. In that context they don't seem any weirder than traditional ghillie brogues really.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

When out skirted, I tend not to worry whether my boots look feminine when I'm already wearing a skirt and tights (pantihose).

A few years ago, I found some high heeled knee boots on eBay, advertised as "Biker High Chunky-heeled Military Calf Lace-up Boots".

Biker_High_Chunky_Heel_Military_Calf_Lace_Up_Boots.jpeg
The heels are around 3 1/2" tall but as the laces allow me to get a really good, snug fit to my feet and legs, they are really comfortable to walk in.
There is also a full length tongue under the lacing.
On the inner sides of each boot there is a zip so it is easy to take them on and off again without disturbing the laces at all.

I also have a pair of ankle boots in a very similar, laced style. :)

Mind you, I prefer to wear high heeled footwear when skirted. :? :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sepchugang

Post by Sepchugang »

I recently bought a pair of black lace-up boots from Dr Martens (known as Docs)
https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/1460 ... p/14353001
They advertise boots as male, female or unisex but the actual label seems to depend mostly on the heel height. The pair I bought are unisex and they look great with a knee-length skirt and black 70 denier tights or a midi skirt with just black knee socks which I prefer more than tights for the freedom it gives higher up.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Nothing beats a nice pair of heels on a night out! They are great to dance in.
shorts.jpg
Ok, to be fair, this was my daytime pole outfit. Don't want to mis-represent myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Wow! SkD, That outfit should grace your 'recent outfits' thread. To even contemplate wearing skyscraper heels like that you need to be after serious altitude. Some of us have plenty of that already, so heels like that would be totally out.

I reckon that outfit is just right for the Lord Mayor's Banquet.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

Leggings almost every day. As outerwear. Much easier to deal with than tights.
I have big collection, in many colors, patterns, plaids, and camouflage.
Still wear knee-length skirts in warmer weather, with nothing underneath
except what I was born with.
As for boots, I much prefer the Doc Martens with 6 eyelets, rather than the
usual 8 eyelets.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:31 pm I have a pair of Eastern European army surplus boots (black, knee height) which I bought years ago as I thought they looked cool; but they are very heavy and I usually wear them in winter with trousers, or occasionally a kilt. I have a pair of tall laced DMs which I rarely get out of the cupboard, but have worn with a kilt. More recently I have also bought a pair of brown knee-length boots from Hotter, and a black faux-suede pair from Tesco, both marketed for women.

I also have a number of pairs of ankle boots (too many, I am informed by my wife), mostly bought online, though I have one pair from John Lewis women's department. I have been unable so far to find what I want, which is ankle boots with a low heel (like, one inch, or less than two): the heeled boots are generally on the uncomfortable side if you actually need to walk anywhere. And I know from experience that corns are to be avoided! I have one pair of women's heeled sandals, but have hardly worn them; and I have one pair of shiny black patent leather Mary-Jane (T-bar) shoes, which I have worn with a kilt. In that context they don't seem any weirder than traditional ghillie brogues really.
I love your comment and agree with "I have one pair of shiny black patent leather Mary-Jane (T-bar) shoes, which I have worn with a kilt. In that context they don't seem any weirder than traditional ghillie brogues really."
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

Zara and Bershka have a collection of shoes on elevated platforms or heels, but one particular pair of shoes features a 10 cm (!) block heel: https://www.bershka.com/gb/men%E2%80%99 ... 35595.html
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

I wear a wide range of boots since I think my feet look better in boots than shoes, IMHO. I mostly wear stocking or tights depending on the temperatures, since I have never been fond of socks. I buy most of my stockings on Amazon in either 40D or 80D in a wide range of colours since I love bright colours and no longer have to stick to dark subtle shades. If it gets really hot then I go bare legged with a pair of DM sandals.
In my brain, my top half is male with Bush hat, long white hair/beard etc. A pair of boots balances out the other end as male, even though the actual boots may have been sourced from the female side of the shop. Case in point is my long Timberland Boots. Standard Yellow Timberland desert boots, but made longer for the female side of the shop. But they are mine and work well with my style IMHO and make me happy.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

And with a bit of luck of the Irish - - - or other cobbler nationality !
If the shoe/boot fits wear it - especially in the difficult Clydesdale sizes i.e. 13 and up men's sizes --- 12 and up women's
and don't forget that width measurement also A thru Eeee to the nth power.
With some of those stileto heels make sure you have your gyroscope balancing act engaged !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I just took a pair of black boots with a block heel like that to the charity shop. I wore them to the supermarket one day, and by the time I got back I thought bits of me below the knee were going to need serious physiotherapy!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Gotta have nice, thick tights for winter wear, especially for folks like me who often go out and about in short hemlines. 100 denier is good, 200 denier is even better!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.