Interesting pose in a kilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Interesting pose in a kilt

Post by Dust »

Coder wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:47 am
Dust wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:17 am This company is marketing to a different demographic than most of us here. Nothing wrong with that...
Who, flashers? Because the second picture where's he's lifting the hem... (being a bit sarcastic here - in a kind way)
Okay, I wasn't seeing it as a flasher thing.

I was more referring to the previously mentioned redneck crowd, or something similar. Machismo, whatever...
Coder wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:47 am Look - I'm not clutching my pearls - but his behavior is juvenile and yes - gross - disgusting. If the site had a theme (it looks like some kind of drop-shipper generic website), or the description gave context, I might reconsider my opinion. But this doesn't appear to be a seller at the same level of Utilikilts, even back when UK was just starting. One other thing - I'm tired of men playing the fool. They do it to dad's on all the sitcom's (though, tbh, I haven't watched a sitcom in years), they do it in movies, etc... You can inject humor without resorting to crass "jokes" or putting people down.
Okay, I don't even watch "comedy" anymore, after seeing men put down for everything in what passed for comedy in my youth.

I was going to just laugh it off and move on, then I saw people taking this as some kind of personal attack or something, so I spoke up.

And yes, it looks like just another drop shipper, part of why I'm not to interested.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Dust wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:23 pm Okay, I don't even watch "comedy" anymore, after seeing men put down for everything in what passed for comedy in my youth.
Same, with one exception - British comedy is pretty good, and I haven't seen the same kins of thing (actually, it tends to be an equal-opportunity offender).
Dust wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:23 pm I was going to just laugh it off and move on, then I saw people taking this as some kind of personal attack or something, so I spoke up.
Yeah - I (and possibly others) are a bit sensitive towards these kinds of stereotypes being promulgated. Granted, the site is a drop-shipper and probably won't be on anyone's radar except people looking for kilts, I guess my only concern would be a family member searching for a gift for their relative and coming across that image. But unlikely due to the site's questionable nature.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Coder wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:32 pm I guess my only concern would be a family member searching for a gift for their relative and coming across that image. But unlikely due to the site's questionable nature.
Yeah, every time I look for skirts listed under men's clothing on eBay, I get an eye-full that I could do without.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:32 pm British comedy is pretty good, and I haven't seen the same kins of thing (actually, it tends to be an equal-opportunity offender).
Thanks Coder,
But then we have drivel like, Mrs Brown's Boys to lower the tone.
Best example I can think of is, Till Death Us Do Part, no one was spared in that one.
There is no way it would be shown today, I think the only politically correct content were the rolling credits.
Steve
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Coder wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:32 pm
Dust wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:23 pm Okay, I don't even watch "comedy" anymore, after seeing men put down for everything in what passed for comedy in my youth.
Same, with one exception - British comedy is pretty good, and I haven't seen the same kins of thing (actually, it tends to be an equal-opportunity offender).
I find the major difference between American and British comedy is that American "comedy" spends much more time denigrating people and judging. Whereas British comedy often involves "normal" people getting into completely ridiculous situations. The clear case I remember is the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. In the book/TV series Arthur Dent is a guy simply out of his depth, which makes it funny. In the American-made movie he was portrayed as being a bit dumb, which felt wrong. Different kind of humour.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Does not help sell that kilt at all, why would you pose like that?
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:54 am The clear case I remember is the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. In the book/TV series Arthur Dent is a guy simply out of his depth, which makes it funny. In the American-made movie he was portrayed as being a bit dumb, which felt wrong. Different kind of humour.
The book, TV adaptation and film were based on the BBC's original radio series, which was much funnier. I remember listening to the first episode one evening in 1978 on Radio 4 -- and when Marvin the Paranoid Android turned up about 15 minutes in, I knew this was an instant classic.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

KiltedBigWave wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:21 pm Does not help sell that kilt at all, why would you pose like that?
Yep. Wholeheartedly agree. Such an image doe none of us any favours. It's like he needs to grab his kit to prove he's a bloke. Honestly. Get him out of here.