The Ultimate Stealth Skirt.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

The Ultimate Stealth Skirt.

Post by STEVIE »

I'm not sure if this idea has been raised before and it centres around the fact that the kilt is an acceptable manskirt in most eyes.
We have had the kilt as an entry level skirt discussion before and I'd still dispute that but here is my thinking;
How many men don a kilt as a pseudo/ersatz skirt?
I do remember that another member actually said that some guys "hide" behind the kilt as a skirt but there may be something more pragmatic occurring and there is no element of criticism intended.
In the face of potential rejection, even hostility, the kilt offers a perfect skirt to wear hidden in plain sight.
This is further reinforced knowing that a female may be attracted to a guy in a kilt and repulsed if the same person wore a skirt.
As for "going commando", the macho kilt dude may be wearing the frothiest lingerie underneath.
Quite amusing, if not exactly appetising, sorry gents. Kind of ironic and sad too though.
Steve
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Ultimate Stealth Skirt.

Post by trainspotter48 »

Yes, I find the kilt an acceptable way of skirting in public. At the risk of upsetting the Bravehearts, I don't indulge in the full regalia all the time, and I do find it prudent to use underwear.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I endorse that use of the kilt. I never wear full regalia or sporrans &c nowadays, just preferably lightweight kilts in 5 yds, no more, usually a bit short, i.e. above the knee. The velcro-fixed 'sportkilt' types are super with shorts underneath for quick change, if need be. I'd never go 'commando'.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Guilty as charged. Immediate respectability gained with a kilt. Mine's barely a kilt. It's tarten, it's a wrap, the similarity ends there.
Nobody knows the difference in South England anyway.
- minus the frothy underwear. Plain old boxers.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

Ladies’ ‘Kilt Skirts’ are readily available to buy in the UK - as a ‘stealth’ Kilt for Men.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

I actually started with skirts 3+ years ago and only in the past 6 months or so have I ordered some kilts, I have 4 kilts and 45 skirts and 2 tunics and 1 dress. I still mostly wear the skirts, because they are lighter and airy, much better 3/4 of the year. I will wear a kilt when its is colder out as they are heavier. I go commando 95% of the time. I have figured out that whatever you wear if you wear it with confidences nobody cares whether its a skirt or a kilt.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

jamodu wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:43 am Ladies’ ‘Kilt Skirts’ are readily available to buy in the UK - as a ‘stealth’ Kilt for Men.
Sorry Jamodu, but you are only partially correct and women's kilted skirts aren't the issue I was aiming at.
Let me say first, that as a Scot, I have no patience for the rules and pseudo historical propaganda that get's applied to the "Kilt".
Nor am I interested in the is/isn't it a skirt debate either, in my opinion it is and that's that.
Let's take your point and in some places, even Scotland, a guy in a kilted skirt would not garner a second glance.
However, equally, that could not be guaranteed and some of the "Braveheart" brigade would potentially make it an issue.
No apologies, but the best I could say they are just misguided.
The absolutely diehard Kilt wearer is no more able to express a real fashion choice than a guy who only wears trousers.
I have no doubt that a significant proportion of them though are perfectly aware of the "skirt" aspect but cannot express that openly and I stress cannot!
Now,
e2k2houck wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:33 pm I have figured out that whatever you wear if you wear it with confidences nobody cares whether its a skirt or a kilt.
Also true as long as you do not include, partners potential or otherwise, family and the busybodies amongst us.
The "commando" part was a less than subtle joke, there is information that we do not need.

Steve.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I wore a Scottish tartan kilt as the only socially acceptable skirt option for many years, gradually branching out from tartan into plain tweed, then to utility kilts. Only very recently have I dared to say to * with it and started wearing other types of skirt.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:41 pm Only very recently have I dared to say to * with it and started wearing other types of skirt.
And I'd say well done MB, but I guess we will never know how many men will not be able to take that step.
If anyone thinks it's easy because kilt = skirt in any case, reflect on Myopic Bookworm's words,
"Socially Acceptable Skirt".
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

When I was starting out I purchased a couple of short kilts (marketed for women) and a skirt with a single pleat that looked like shorts, thinking that would be an easier road. I don't wear them as I found that normal mini skirts are quite acceptable in public and I was afraid that friends might serve me haggis. Also most kilts are too warm for the climate I live in, the pleats take too much maintenance for everyday use and I have got a "Do you play the pipes?" while wearing a denim skirt, hence dreading the thought of comments that I would get if a wore a kilt. I don't get questions about underwear when wearing a mini skirt, maybe because they can see it (hopefully only joking).
My conclusion is that there is no need for stealth but wear a kilt if that is your preferred style.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

denimini wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:59 pm My conclusion is that there is no need for stealth but wear a kilt if that is your preferred style.
Sadly, there are guys who have that "preferred style" forced on them by extraneous influences.
As I said, we will never know how many and they are only marginally better-off than those confined to trousers.
A choice of one or two, smacks of take it or leave it in my mind.
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sadly, I suspect that-for a long time-very few additional styles will gain traction.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sorry about my pessimistic attitude. We should take into consideration the attitudes of a younger generation.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:13 pm I'm not sure if this idea has been raised before and it centres around the fact that the kilt is an acceptable manskirt in most eyes.
We have had the kilt as an entry level skirt discussion before and I'd still dispute that but here is my thinking;
How many men don a kilt as a pseudo/ersatz skirt?
I do remember that another member actually said that some guys "hide" behind the kilt as a skirt but there may be something more pragmatic occurring and there is no element of criticism intended.
In the face of potential rejection, even hostility, the kilt offers a perfect skirt to wear hidden in plain sight.
This is further reinforced knowing that a female may be attracted to a guy in a kilt and repulsed if the same person wore a skirt.
As for "going commando", the macho kilt dude may be wearing the frothiest lingerie underneath.
Quite amusing, if not exactly appetising, sorry gents. Kind of ironic and sad too though.
Steve
Hey - I resemble this post !

Starting with the kilt makes the transition to the skirt real easy..
I don't wear dresses but skirts from mini to knee (no ankle lengths)
Most of the wardrobe is the wrap style (like the kilt).

Since the base introduction back in the late '90s I don't have any problem with public wearing.
And YES I do wear fancy under gear with ruffles and lace from time to time - NO commando.
With an occasional errant flip of the hem - causes a conversation starter ! ! !
Sorry the secret what is worn under the kilt is revealed - nothing actually - everything is fine working order !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

r.m.anderson wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:32 am Sorry the secret what is worn under the kilt is revealed - nothing actually - everything is fine working order !
Ah, but the old ones are the best, are they not?
Gods only know where the commando connection arose, those guys never wore kilts ever, they were a part of the Royal Marines.
Steve.