The Ultimate Stealth Skirt.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Ultimate Stealth Skirt.

Post by Grok »

Noticed today a woman in a stealth skirt. Actually, not really, but long skirt that-without pleats-folded inward towards the center, suggesting twin pipes.

Longer than knee length. The illusion was likely caused by certain parameters of length, width, taper, type of fabric.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:51 am Noticed today a woman in a stealth skirt. Actually, not really, but long skirt that-without pleats-folded inward towards the center, suggesting twin pipes.
Longer than knee length. The illusion was likely caused by certain parameters of length, width, taper, type of fabric.

Culottes and gods knows how many other styles of trousers and shorts which give the illusion of a skirt on a female.
However, she has a distinct advantage over the guy in the skirt, she KNOWS it's OK with the world in general.
For men, even if Joe Public is tolerant, they still have "Kith, Kin and Bloody Minded Relations", to contend with.
Steve.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

trainspotter48 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:30 pm At the risk of upsetting the Bravehearts, I don't indulge in the full regalia all the time, and I do find it prudent to use underwear.
Allow me to comment on this. The Bravehearts would/will hardly oppose to men not wearing “full regalia all the time”. The traditionalists would.

WDP/Bravehearts who at the very beginning of this century launched the Braveheart concept was in no way a traditionalist or a purist himself. Bravehearts were in opposition to the Kilt Purists (in their full regalia) and to the Freestylers, men who put no emphasis in a manly appearance.
MUGS (Manly Unbifurcated GarmentS) were, according to WDP, traditional kilts, modern kilts, sarongs, as well as “manly” skirts. Manly meant that they should be positioned for men. Some years later, WDP concluded that skirts did not have to be made for men, they just had to be “manly” in design. On his forum Kiltmen he even showed pictures of himself in a denim miniskirt.

Remember his forum? Tom Manuel, the founder of Tom’s Café, the predecessor of this forum, even helped WDP with technical problems, but after Tom passed away back in 2004, the Kiltmen forum would soon look outdated, with less and less activity as a result. By 2010 WDP closed it down.
Does anybody know what afterwards happened to WDP?

I for my part consider me a Braveheart. I primarily wear tartan kilts, but in a most relaxed way, no sporran, no flashes, and with polos and t-shirts, in Summer short socks. Dressed up only for situations where I should otherwise have been wearing a business or evening suit. I also wear utility kilts, man skirts, unisex skirts, short skirts made for women, and shorts and pants.

Best estimate:
Tartan kilts 70%, utility kilts 10%, other skirts 5%, bifurcated garments (pants and shorts) 15%. Considering a year has 365 days, I’ll still spend almost 20 of them in regular skirts, and depending on temperature, tights.

Under my skirted garments I’ll wear either some kind of underpants, including women’s knickers, or a half slip or I’m just going commando. The split shall remain my secret.

By the way, having been in “skirts” for over 25 years, I don’t consider kilts as an entry level solution, just a personal best choice.
My wife fully accepts me in tartan kilts, she has come to better understand my utility kilts, but women’s skirts on me, she doesn’t want to be a part of.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

GerdG wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:16 am By the way, having been in “skirts” for over 25 years, I don’t consider kilts as an entry level solution, just a personal best choice.
My wife fully accepts me in tartan kilts, she has come to better understand my utility kilts, but women’s skirts on me, she doesn’t want to be a part of.
Hi Gerd G,
On your first comment I wholeheartedly agree, I don't believe that a confirmed kilty will be likely to graduate to more generalised skirts.
On the second, your wife is on the tolerant side for partner and societal attitude toward MIS.
The guy, for whom the "stealth" part is crucial is hemmed in to kilts with no leeway whatsoever and we really will never know how many are out there.
These blokes should be in mind at any time we think there is no problem and all in the garden is rosy.
Thanks.
Steve
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Kirbstone wrote:
> I endorse that use of the kilt. I never wear full regalia or sporrans
> &c nowadays, just preferably lightweight kilts in 5 yds, no more,
> usually a bit short, i.e. above the knee. The velcro-fixed 'sportkilt'
> types are super with shorts underneath for quick change, if need be. I'd
> never go 'commando'.
>
> Tom

I love the Sport Kilts. I wear them all the time. Super comfortable and easy to care for. Besides that, they look good.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
Max

Post by Max »

trainspotter48 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:30 pm ...I don't indulge in the full regalia all the time...
Yes, a kilt IS a skirt for men. Period.

I don't do the "regalia" thing at all. No sporran with motorcycle boots and motorcycle jacket.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Max wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:35 am I don't do the "regalia" thing at all. No sporran with motorcycle boots and motorcycle jacket.
Hi Max,
Good for you, but would you wear a plain old skirt which may not be approved of in a wider context?
When I started this thread, I said that many men would just stop at kilts and never extend their "skirt" choices any further.
The fact is that the wearing of a kilt as an acceptable skirt for a man is just as much of an imposition by society as trousers.
As for all the utter nonsense and pseudo-history surrounding "The Kilt", that has to be up there Pre AI Con Trick Hit Parade.
Steve
Max

Post by Max »

I do occasionally wear skirts. Kilts are made specifically for the male form. It makes sense that men will more often wear a kilt. I disagree that this is some sort of "imposition".
Last edited by Max on Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Max wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:14 pm I do occasionally wear skirts. Kilts are made specifically for the male form. It makes sense that men will more often wear a kilt I disagree that this is some sort of "imposition".
It's not really an "imposition" if you don't feel it to be one for yourself, but what moved me on to skirts was getting fed up with being allowed to wear a skirt only if it qualified as a "kilt": knee-length, preferably tartan, with the pleats at the back, and long socks. After 30 years of it, I was getting bored.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:15 am
Good for you, but would you wear a plain old skirt which may not be approved of in a wider context?
When I started this thread, I said that many men would just stop at kilts and never extend their "skirt" choices any further.
Yes, at least for the next few decades. Younger people may tend to be more open minded, so I can see some young men trying other designs in the years ahead. Perhaps khaki or denim becoming somewhat more common. Maybe a few will try sarongs.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

As I have mentioned before, I believe that members are among the boldest of the bold. Some of the boldest may not be members, as has been implied in some reports posted. In any case, the boldest are rather thin on the ground, but perhaps can inspire others to try the less bold options, if nothing else.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:42 pm
Max wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:14 pm I do occasionally wear skirts. Kilts are made specifically for the male form. It makes sense that men will more often wear a kilt I disagree that this is some sort of "imposition".
It's not really an "imposition" if you don't feel it to be one for yourself, but what moved me on to skirts was getting fed up with being allowed to wear a skirt only if it qualified as a "kilt": knee-length, preferably tartan, with the pleats at the back, and long socks. After 30 years of it, I was getting bored.
Max I'd agree that a high end, properly tailored kilt is formed accordingly but bargain basement garments are not vastly different from a pleated skirt.
I'd also agree that some men will wear a kilt as a pseudo skirt.
However, the gendering of any item of clothing is an imposition, a false restriction generally forced on men rather than women.
MB, kind of sums it up with "allowed to wear a skirtonlyif it qualified as a kilt".
Fashion freedom for men means just that as far as I'm concerned, to wear what I wish, when and where I wish.
Any attempt to limit that freedom is an imposition as far as I'm concerned and I'll do my utmost to fight it.
Steve
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:50 pm
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:42 pm
Max I'd agree that a high end, properly tailored kilt is formed accordingly but bargain basement garments are not vastly different from a pleated skirt.
I'd also agree that some men will wear a kilt as a pseudo skirt.
However, the gendering of any item of clothing is an imposition, a false restriction generally forced on men rather than women.
MB, kind of sums it up with "allowed to wear a skirtonlyif it qualified as a kilt".
Fashion freedom for men means just that as far as I'm concerned, to wear what I wish, when and where I wish.
Any attempt to limit that freedom is an imposition as far as I'm concerned and I'll do my utmost to fight it.
Steve
I couldn't agree more. My first skirt was a tarten skirt and I went to a Jake Bugg gigg with my daughter. I was bored of the kilt within a week.
It was a bit of a journey with me and my wife. It"s stable now and all questions have been answered.
Now, I wear what I want (within reason). That is any fabric, any style, any motif. All mine are knee length or longer.
Is my freedom limited? It has limits and I wish I could go further bit I now know a level of freedom I have never known and I'm happy.
Max

Post by Max »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:50 pm

Steve
That a particular garment is considered to be of one gender does not restrict you from wearing it. You will not be arrested for wearing a dress. If you are concerned about someone's disapproval, then that is an issue that resides in your own head and is something for you to work out.

Go ahead and wear what you want where you want. Every society has norms. If you wish to cross those norms or push the boundaries, more power to you. There are lines that most people on this board would want to maintain.

For example:

Would you support the "right" of men teachers in an elementary school teaching class while wearing a banana hammock and a crop top? I hope not. If you don't support that, then your "anything... anywhere" statement is false. Perhaps I took your statement too literally. I do realize that skirts and banana hammocks are not exactly a 1:1 equivalence. I hope that you understand the point.

The fact is we are pushing the boundaries, albeit ever so slowly.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Max wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:27 pmThat a particular garment is considered to be of one gender does not restrict you from wearing it. You will not be arrested for wearing a dress. If you are concerned about someone's disapproval, then that is an issue that resides in your own head and is something for you to work out.
In practise, the problem is more insidious than that -- it's a problem in the minds of those "close in" to you (think significant others and spouses), and that can cause more serious distress than the simple act, and direct repercussions, of wearing an "alternative garment". Compounding the problem, the actions and reactions of those who are "close in" are vastly more important than the objections of random observers because those "close in" have enormous power.

Example: Several days ago my lady-friend and I were in a bar in Leominster, MA and I picked up a little bit of guff from a couple of guys who were trying to impress each other. I brushed that noise off with all the aplomb of my lady-friend shooing away a mosquito, but once outside in the parking-lot she was in tears wondering whether she "could ever understand me and specifically my attire". That cut me to the bone -- vastly worse than anything two buffoons at a bar could have done. So it is more than just "us" -- and we forget that at our peril. Fortunately, the crisis has seemingly passed but at the time it was excruciating for me -- not to mention her.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!