Pessimism or Optimism?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pessimism or Optimism?

Post by Barleymower »

For some Pessimism goes hand in hand with realism. MIS are not accepted and there's no reason to expect it will change.
The optimist requires faith. Faith that circumstances will change without evidence. The only thing optimist needs is the knowledge that they have right on their side.
As an optimist I believe we are living in the liminal space between what was and what's next and we are part of the progressive force. We can shape what's next will look like.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:54 pm MIS are not accepted and there's no reason to expect it will change.
That is not my experience.

I'm wearing a skirt most of the time. I'm generally accepted. Sure there are a few folks that express dislike, but the same with my long hair and big beard.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Jim wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:55 am
Barleymower wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:54 pm MIS are not accepted and there's no reason to expect it will change.

I'm wearing a skirt most of the time. I'm generally accepted. Sure there are a few folks that express dislike, but the same with my long hair and big beard.
Same experience in my neck of the woods. I am in a "safe" town, though - I haven't really ventured outside the bubble.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:02 am
Jim wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:55 am

Same experience in my neck of the woods. I am in a "safe" town, though - I haven't really ventured outside the bubble.
True Jim and Coder, its the same here. I should change my words from "MIS are not accepted" to "MIS have not gained full acceptance".
I am recognising that there is work to do before men have the same freedoms as women. I'm looking forward to the day where, at least there are male and female versions of all clothes. That should be the end goal.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:39 amI'm looking forward to the day where, at least there are male and female versions of all clothes.
That should be the end goal.
Barleymower, open your eyes :cyclopsani:
We already have "male and female versions of all clothes."
These clothes are designed to fit different body sizes and physiques, allowing for differences in anatomy.
Women have worn "men's" jeans for years when raised on a farm, riding horse back to help herd the cattle
into the pens. In many areas, clothing was worn as 'hand-me-downs' to the younger family members.
If jeans were worn by 'big brother', then handed down to little sister, so what :?:
Same goes for shirts, sweaters(jumpers to the U.K.), coats, shoes - if they weren't worn through.

The Optimist says the drinking glass is half full
The Pessimist says the drinking glass is half empty
A real person understands that the drinking glass can be refilled.

So, everyone, please stop this nonsense about pessimism or optimism.
This concept is making you into your own worst enemy.
YOU be the person to spread the understanding that "the glass can be refilled'.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Kirbstone wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:55 pm Lets just hope they will live out their respective lives without being called up to fight in some war.
Hear hear!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:18 am
Barleymower wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:39 amI'm looking forward to the day where, at least there are male and female versions of all clothes.
That should be the end goal.
Barleymower, open your eyes :cyclopsani:
We already have "male and female versions of all clothes."
These clothes are designed to fit different body sizes and physiques, allowing for differences in anatomy.
Women have worn "men's" jeans for years when raised on a farm, riding horse back to help herd the cattle
into the pens. In many areas, clothing was worn as 'hand-me-downs' to the younger family members.
If jeans were worn by 'big brother', then handed down to little sister, so what :?:
Same goes for shirts, sweaters(jumpers to the U.K.), coats, shoes - if they weren't worn through.

The Optimist says the drinking glass is half full
The Pessimist says the drinking glass is half empty
A real person understands that the drinking glass can be refilled.

So, everyone, please stop this nonsense about pessimism or optimism.
This concept is making you into your own worst enemy.
YOU be the person to spread the understanding that "the glass can be refilled'.

Uncle Al
AL I'm happy to discontinue the thread.

When I started the thread it was to say that I have found in my own life that RELENTLESS PUSHING TO THE PLACE I WANT TO BE WILL WORK.

Pessimism is a part of our lives and while nobody here wants to be actively pessimistic, we often mistake being realistic with moaning about the state of the world

My eyes are open. There is work to be done, the picture is not rosy for men in 2023. We need to see the areas where we need to progress and actively pursue it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I wear skirts and dresses exclusively and haven't had any problems with being accepted. I have had only 2 times being called out for the skirt I was wearing an that was back when I first started to wear skirts out and about. Ever since then I have had no problems with being accepted.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:23 pm
I wear skirts and dresses exclusively and haven't had any problems with being accepted. I have had only 2 times being called out for the skirt I was wearing an that was back when I first started to wear skirts out and about. Ever since then I have had no problems with being accepted.
Fred that's good to hear. Once all men realise how great skirts are they world will be a better place.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:18 am Women have worn "men's" jeans for years when raised on a farm, riding horse back to help herd the cattle
If jeans were worn by 'big brother', then handed down to little sister, so what
Sorry Al but I have to pick up this point about "hand me downs".
I grew up in an all female household, the youngest boy and 5 sisters.
Ironically, even surprising given my preferences now, no cast offs for me.
Not farm raised but not wealthy either and yes I had donations from male cousins, of whom I had a few.
It would have been very misplaced optimism indeed for me to expect to be allowed to share in what was a glorious melting pot of garments dominated by my sisters.
As it was, I was the little sneak who would have got a thrashing had I been caught "borrowing", so what of that?
Steve.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:21 pmAs it was, I was the little sneak who would have got a thrashing had I been caught "borrowing", so what of that?
At our 'age', let's "sneak" together, not worrying about getting caught, and have some fun :!: ;)

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:46 pmAt our 'age'
I was under ten years old, the idea of being thrashed was not funny in an sense nor was the idea that I was being sinful and destined for hell.
Sure, I can treat it very differently now but is life that much different for many ten year old boys today?
Kirbstone wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:55 pm As to my 16-person 'dynasty' of descendants, they are already confronted with a minefield that just didn't exist in my childhood.
I am sure that's true Tom, can any of the male persuasion exercise the fashion freedom we talk so much about in this establishment?
The potential for war is way beyond our control, sadly another thing that has not altered much over the years.

Steve
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:21 am
Uncle Al wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:46 pmAt our 'age'
I was under ten years old, the idea of being thrashed was not funny in an sense nor was the idea that I was being sinful and destined
for hell. Sure, I can treat it very differently now but is life that much different for many ten year old boys today?

Steve
Steve - "At our age' was saying at our current age.
I was 5 or 6 years old when I 'developed' my desire to wear clothes 'of the opposite sex'.
I was not able to start satisfying that desire until I was 35 or 40 years old.
Now, I'm happy as a clam, doing - and wearing - what I want, with no feedback from anyone.
I've only had 1 instance where a woman was upset but I kept on pushing my shopping cart.

What ever you do, have fun doing it :D

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Optimist.

I am a glass half full person these days but with regards skirts, I already embrace my freedom of choice, expression and individuality as a man. I do no wait for the herd to make it available. If I want to do something and it is not doing harm to others then I do it.

I needed Counselling in 2011 because I allowed society to dictate and control me.

Embrace yourself and be you.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

TheSkirtedMan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:46 pm Optimist.

I am a glass half full person these days but with regards skirts, I already embrace my freedom of choice, expression and individuality as a man. I do no wait for the herd to make it available. If I want to do something and it is not doing harm to others then I do it.

I needed Counselling in 2011 because I allowed society to dictate and control me.

Embrace yourself and be you.
A simple and easy approach to personal integrity. Too many are afraid of their own shadow.