What will crossdressers do if dresses becomes mainstream for men

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What will crossdressers do if dresses becomes mainstream for men

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:51 pm

What's missing is 3. There's no mention of the guy who just has a slightly "out of whack" (as perceived by society) sartorial sense. Nobody ever thinks of the third option when it comes to adults, which is sad. Just swapping trousers for a skirt and keeping the rest the same is fairly easy, but when one gets into the realm of dresses it becomes considerably harder. I'm only now finally convincing my current lady-friend that I'm perfectly normal in the socially-important aspects (intellect not being one of those). Yes, it's a large hill to climb.
If the male in question is still a boy and dressing as a girl, then there is a third possibility, namely that he is going through a phase in which he is curious about or experimenting with gender and with his identity.
Thought about looking "full fem" in a dress, then something occurred to me. What about something like a pinafore or overall dress? Worn with a man's shirt?
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Grok wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:30 pm
Thought about looking "full fem" in a dress, then something occurred to me. What about something like a pinafore or overall dress? Worn with a man's shirt?
Grok it will be fine. Its more of a case of "how do you feel when you are wearing the clothes that you choose?" If the clothes that you wear make you feel good then that's how people will see you. A happy man. If they bring out the feminine side of you and you feel feminine then that's who you are and people will see it.
If you still feel masculine in whatever you wear then people will see that too.
There's also the case of what suits you. I bought a beautiful wrap skirt and I looked terrible in it. Just didn't suit me. There's no telling until you look in the mirror. Post the outfit up?
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Grok wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:30 pm Thought about looking "full fem" in a dress, then something occurred to me. What about something like a pinafore or overall dress? Worn with a man's shirt?
I have a black dress (sleeveless, round neck) which I wear with a man's shirt.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:41 pm
Grok wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:30 pm Thought about looking "full fem" in a dress, then something occurred to me. What about something like a pinafore or overall dress? Worn with a man's shirt?
I do that exact same thing also with a navy blue and grey dress as well, so comfortable.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

All crossdressers are different in many of ways. I personally do not want to identify as women nor imitate a woman. I want to be a guy in a skirt or kilt with a nice top and shoes. No wig, no makeup, no breast forms, female name, etc. In fact, I tend to mix woman’s skirts with men’s or woman’s tops and shoes. I truly believe, If the clothes your wearing make you feel good and confident then that's how people will see you.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

For me my hair is beyond shoulder length so no wig is needed. And I have enlarged breasts so no breast forms a needed. But for formal occasions I like to use eye makeup and lipstick. Two things I will NOT do: Alter my deep masculine speaking voice to sound like a woman nor take on a feminine name.

John
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

JohnH wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:38 pm For me my hair is beyond shoulder length so no wig is needed. And I have enlarged breasts so no breast forms a needed. But for formal occasions I like to use eye makeup and lipstick. Two things I will NOT do: Alter my deep masculine speaking voice to sound like a woman nor take on a feminine name.

John
That makes perfect sense and if works for you, go for it!
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:41 pm
I just saw your post and had to respond, as while not wanting to look feminine and trying to stay with skirts and kilts, I love a pinafore and had many in the past. I am now going to try your idea.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Wouldn't proper cross dressing today be a pair of distressed denim jeans and a crop T-Shirt with Tennis shoes.
That's what the vast majority of young women I have seen running around in these days. :mrgreen:
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

phathack wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:12 am Wouldn't proper cross dressing today be a pair of distressed denim jeans and a crop T-Shirt with Tennis shoes.
That's what the vast majority of young women I have seen running around in these days. :mrgreen:
Ugh! And people, including women, going to Sunday morning services wearing jeans and gym shoes. So as a reaction to that I get dolled up with a dress, hosiery, heels, painted fingernails, and makeup. Also.I.am sick and.tired.of.the.dull hackneyed look of men's.coat and tie outfits.

John
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Humour and sartorial critique aside, are we not missing the point?
Crossdressing isn't just about donning a certain set of clothes, it is about how we present ourselves to the world.
Here's a conumdrum, sis male in a male suit and tie, all made-up as the prettiest girly girl, is he cross-dressing.
Even funnier, if you answer yes, the guy in the skirt, what about him?
I honestly believe that I don't care, clothes are there to make us happy on many levels.
If they fulfil that function, nothing else really matters, or does it?
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:42 am Humour and sartorial critique aside, are we not missing the point?
Crossdressing isn't just about donning a certain set of clothes, it is about how we present ourselves to the world.
Here's a conumdrum, sis male in a male suit and tie, all made-up as the prettiest girly girl, is he cross-dressing.
Even funnier, if you answer yes, the guy in the skirt, what about him?
I honestly believe that I don't care, clothes are there to make us happy on many levels.
If they fulfil that function, nothing else really matters, or does it?
Steve.
Stevie it's a bit like asking what something is worth. Objects are worth what people are prepared to pay. Otherwise they worthless.
Is the guy cross-dressing? No. There is no such thing as cross-dressing. Women do not ever cross-dress (even when they are). On that logic the same applies to men. With our current level of societal hypocrisy, he is cross-dressing if people say he is.

I said the below post previously but it has disappeared into the ether:
It"s more of a case of "how do you feel when you are wearing the clothes that you choose?" If the clothes that you wear make you feel good then that's how people will see you. A happy man. If they bring out the feminine side of you and you feel feminine then that's who you are and people will see it.
If you still feel masculine in whatever you wear then people will see that too.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

My dresses and grooming (nail polish, makeup, etc. do not make me feel feminine. After all, I am still the old John (not to be confused with the porcelain thrones in restrooms). I am tired of the casual clothes and the same old men's coat and tie outfits.

John
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

JohnH wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:44 pm I am tired of the casual clothes and the same old men's coat and tie outfits.
I am totally with you on the ghastliness of ubiquitous casual dress. But I take pleasure in combining a traditional male jacket and tie with a skirt (as I did this morning at church).
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:31 pm Is the guy cross-dressing? No. There is no such thing as cross-dressing. Women do not ever cross-dress (even when they are). On that logic the same applies to men. With our current level of societal hypocrisy, he is cross-dressing if people say he is.
That's backwards: if someone says they're crossdressing, then they are. What other people think is not relevant. FtM cross-dressers are rare, most women wearing jeans and t-shirt wouldn't say they are crossdressing so they aren't. The guys in crossdressing forums say that are crossdressing, so they are crossdressers. We here say we're not crossdressing, so we're not crossdressers.

That other people look at us and think we're crossdressers is their problem, not ours.