Sizing

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Sizing

Post by STEVIE »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/sty ... 4695&ei=71

Now this is aimed at women, obviously, but good advice that could be adopted by men who struggle with style, fit and sizes from across the aisle.
Perhaps, the real message is be true to yourself and your body in whatever way you choose to cover it.
Be comfortable, relax, enjoy and have pleasure in the clothes you choose.
Here's one avenue to explore because it actually confirms what I already believe but puts it ever so much better.
Try it.
Steve.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sizing

Post by phathack »

This is a pep talk for women when they are looking for clothing.

Walk into a Men's store and ask for a size 36x34 pants and that's what you get.
Walk into a women's store and ask for a size 14 or L pants and the waist will be anywhere between 30" & 38" depending on the manufacturer, that assumes the manufacturer actually holds sizes across items, some don't particularly ones that market direct from China then all bets are off not the same size between the same item only different colors. Oh Black runs 2 sizes larger than white and 1 size larger than Navy.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Dresses are much less fussy. If I order a size 20 it almost always fits. Something that is really inconsistent is bra sizing. I have settled in one brand and style so I can have consistent sizing. [My size: 40 DD]. But they vary quite a lot from brand to brand, and don't get me started on the different styles.

If I get pants (trousers) I.almost always get men's pants as having waist and inseam measurements ensure consistency. Maybe women should adopt this sizing for pants as the fit is so much more critical.

John
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Yes womens wear sizing is totally weird. I'm amazed that women themselves undersand it. I have found that I can eyeball most items pretty well but trying them on is the only sure way to get a good fit. I usually buy second hand as well but the stores that still let you try them on becoming scarce. I beieve that mens skirts and dress manufacturers will still the same sizing system that men are used to where the numbers correlate to actual body measurements.
Having said that I recognize that a lot of items are going with the s/m/l etc. model and that means all bets are off when it comes to items from some regions.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Quoted sizes are just a guide, which is complicated by the fact that most retailers/manufacturers apply different parameters. If buying in store you can obviously try an item on, but it’s more difficult when buying online.

Retailers provide sizing guides, which are useful but don’t necessarily apply to all garments. Some give precise measurements for each garment in every size (Seasalt and Boden for example), which is helpful. The only way to be sure is to try them out, which will allow you to build up a body of experience for styles etc that work for you.

Personally I like materials with some flexibility, such as jersey, which helps with the fit.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

phathack wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:45 am Walk into a Men's store and ask for a size 36x34 pants and that's what you get.
Sorry Phatback but that isn't necessarily true, shops and brands can vary an inch and that really irks.
For "peptalk", I see good advice to women that can be easily applicable to men.
It's never going to happen anytime soon that we will be really able to get skirts or dresses in menswear offerings anyway.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:06 pm
phathack wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:45 am Walk into a Men's store and ask for a size 36x34 pants and that's what you get.
Sorry Phatback but that isn't necessarily true, shops and brands can vary an inch and that really irks.
For "peptalk", I see good advice to women that can be easily applicable to men.
It's never going to happen anytime soon that we will be really able to get skirts or dresses in menswear offerings anyway.
Steve.
Steve, "If you build it, they will come"
The power of positive thought can become reality
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Women's sizing = A Black Art :!:

:hide:
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:19 pmWomen's sizing = A Black Art :!:
I recall my late ex- calling it precisely that, and folllowing it up with, "Trial by fitting room!" Apt. Very apt.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:09 am
Uncle Al wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:19 pmWomen's sizing = A Black Art :!:
I recall my late ex- calling it precisely that, and folllowing it up with, "Trial by fitting room!" Apt. Very apt.
Yep.

I do carry a tape measure and know a few key things to check at the thrift store I use and they don't allow the use of a fitting room since COVID. The tape measure works well most of the time, but I don't have good data yet on what is needed to allow a healthy stride at different hem lengths.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:46 amThe tape measure works well most of the time, but I don't have good data yet on what is needed to allow a healthy stride at different hem lengths.
That comes down to the length of the hem and what the flare is. If the flare is large enough there won't be an issue with stride. The trick here is in figuring out empirically how much of a flare you require for a normal stride length at a particular hem length -- and it's different for people of different heights. Try spreading the hem out and measuring what it's diameter is; that'll give you a decent clue -- and when you find that "perfect skirt" measure it precisely and keep those numbers in mind!

A-line skirts tend to be the most forgiving and "pencils" the least.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I second carl with this. But I don't do any length measure for the stride. I spread the hem to see how large is the opening and then I check the angle that is formed. If the angle is visually too small, next. Generally for simple walk 35° is enough (*), walking upstairs 50° (a bit more than right angle) (*), and 90° (right angle) for walking two steps at a time, get on a chair, etc.
Also worth to mention that extensible textiles may work with lower angles, in which case "it depends" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In a picture what I check: https://snipboard.io/MIQGlc.jpg
It has the advantage to work with any size of skirt :-)

(*) I usually only go for the "right angle" and forget other angles. In fact, they're as precise as can be eye measure on legs at home, which I did right now
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

On my side of the pond; typically most Skirts and Dresses of Knee length have a ‘Vent’ (a split) at the rear to ensure that one is able to walk instead of waddle.