New Adventure begins

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

New Adventure begins

Post by Elisabetta »

Next Saturday Moon and I will be heading to Stanwood, Washington. I was born in Tacoma so it will be nice seeing my homestate as I never got the chance. Being a Military Brat my dad got stationed the day I came home from the hospital and shipped off to Athens, Greece.

This is Moons first experience with me and we are absolutely thrilled however bittersweet as we will be leaving our place we've called home for many years. Moon being born and raised in Virginia.

Last Saturday Moon proposed to me up at the Roanoke Star located in Roanoke, Virginia. While Moon and I are already married we will be renewing our vows hopefully in Stanwood, Washington.

Bring on the fun adventures and I'll also be working on writing a book called Rufus the Traveling Pup.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New Adventure begins

Post by denimini »

Congratulations and good luck with your new adventure. I had to look at a map to understand; Wow that is a big move, it looks all very green, on Google Earth, in Washington State as well as Virginia.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Congratulations on both counts! Maybe we can meet, we will be in Cathlamet for the winter, and a number of others are in the Pacific NW.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Faldaguy wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:30 am Congratulations on both counts! Maybe we can meet, we will be in Cathlamet for the winter, and a number of others are in the Pacific NW.
We can work something out I'm sure. Have to get over there and get situated. We'll let you know.

Thank you!
Last edited by Elisabetta on Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

denimini wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:06 am Congratulations and good luck with your new adventure. I had to look at a map to understand; Wow that is a big move, it looks all very green, on Google Earth, in Washington State as well as Virginia.
Thank you! Yes it's a big move.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

denimini wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:06 am Congratulations and good luck with your new adventure. I had to look at a map to understand; Wow that is a big move, it looks all very green, on Google Earth, in Washington State as well as Virginia.
2700 miles... it's a big ol' ride for sure...I estimate three, possibly four days on the road. Driving clear across the rust belt, Iowa, South Dakota, a little corner of Wyoming, clear across Montana, across Idaho and finally across Washington.

I'm a little nervous about it honestly.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Moon and Eliz. God speed.....

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:28 pm Moon and Eliz. God speed.....

Tom
Thank you!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:50 am
2700 miles... it's a big ol' ride for sure...I estimate three, possibly four days on the road. Driving clear across the rust belt, Iowa, South Dakota, a little corner of Wyoming, clear across Montana, across Idaho and finally across Washington.

We're going to be just fine!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Four days sounds like the right ball park. From the states listed it sounds like you will be using Interstate 90. Once you reach South Dakota the towns start to become few and far between. Drove that route decades ago when I moved from Iowa to Washington State.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

If you've got a few days to spare, take 'em -- there is some fantastic country on the way, you may regret passing up the opportunities by rushing. Are you using a U-Haul, moving company, or both of you driving to bring the RV too. Hiring company paying for the move....whatever, seems a shame to miss all the territory and history in route.

Bon voyage
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:50 am If you've got a few days to spare, take 'em -- there is some fantastic country on the way, you may regret passing up the opportunities by rushing. Are you using a U-Haul, moving company, or both of you driving to bring the RV too. Hiring company paying for the move....whatever, seems a shame to miss all the territory and history in route.

Bon voyage
This go 'round we'll be towing our small camper trailer where we have made arrangements at a RV park in Stanwood WA. We'll winter over there and after things thaw out in the spring we plan to fly back to VA to pick up my Kia (Jax) and drive him over.

The RV rent is cheap compared to more traditional digs, and so we plan to make use of the savings in combination with my pay raise to pay off some of my debts, by that time we should know if Washington will be a state where we will hang out hat for years to come or shall we move on down the line?

If we decide to stay, we'll procure a more traditional home and we'll fly over once more to load our stuff on a proper Uhaul and bring it to the west coast. As for now, we're not listing our home, in fact, it's not even packed up, we're just taking our essentials in our travel trailer for now.

This is a classic "try it before we buy it" situation. I admit to getting a fair amount of sticker shock at the cost of housing. I have to get over there and determine what my realistic buying power will be, in addition to perhaps sniffing out some good housing bargains (if they even exist)

Another option if we absolutely love it [Washington] is to simply muddle along paying rent or whatever until I retire then just return home to Virginia where housing is much more affordable. (I don't fancy working and paying on a mortgage until I'm 120 years old)

But regardless of what happens, we'll be sure to log many, many years of experiences and memories, and you just can't put a price tag on that!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Grok wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:41 am Four days sounds like the right ball park. From the states listed it sounds like you will be using Interstate 90. Once you reach South Dakota the towns start to become few and far between. Drove that route decades ago when I moved from Iowa to Washington State.
You are correct about I90. It looks like that will be our path for most of the journey.
-Andrea
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:50 am 2700 miles... it's a big ol' ride for sure...I estimate three, possibly four days on the road. Driving clear across the rust belt, Iowa, South Dakota, a little corner of Wyoming, clear across Montana, across Idaho and finally across Washington.

Please don't push driving when you are tired. My son died that way.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

While I was driving westward on I-90 I decided to take a few hours to visit Devil's Tower, Wyoming. It was worth it; Devil's Tower is a long ways from anywhere, and I will very likely never venture out that way again.