WWD: The White House, Social Media, Self Confidence and Men’s Skirts: Talk Ahead of the L’Oréal Show

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

WWD: The White House, Social Media, Self Confidence and Men’s Skirts: Talk Ahead of the L’Oréal Show

Post by Coder »

https://wwd.com/eye/parties/loreal-pari ... 235855225/

I skimmed the entire article, couldn't find the part they talked about men's fashion... had to search the article:
MacDowell said women do have freedom of expression in fashion, and encouraged men to jump on the skirt trend.

“I think it’s changing a bit with the younger generation, if you look at the runway. I wonder what that will do to the dynamic of what is in play with the [gender] roles.”
A small mention - it's amazing such a short blurb made it into the headline (though granted, the magazine is Women's Wear Daily, and so I wouldn't necessarily expect it to focus heavily on men's issues).

I do think people pay too much attention to "the runway" because it seems most trends that take the world by storm aren't due to people on the runway, but rather trends just working their way through society. It seems, frankly, clothing often has a political bent to it - whether it's the politics of being a teenager (goth/emo/rebellion), or the French Revolution and the working man distinguishing himself from the aristocracy.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: WWD: The White House, Social Media, Self Confidence and Men’s Skirts: Talk Ahead of the L’Oréal Show

Post by phathack »

Coder wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:17 am I do think people pay too much attention to "the runway" because it seems most trends that take the world by storm aren't due to people on the runway, but rather trends just working their way through society. It seems, frankly, clothing often has a political bent to it - whether it's the politics of being a teenager (goth/emo/rebellion), or the French Revolution and the working man distinguishing himself from the aristocracy.
I agree, IMHO, forget what the runway is, nothing shown there ever makes it to the street.
Daily wear fashion evolved in the young population, < 30yo, they made small changes that add up over time. How many changes happen back to back varies so sometimes things look frozen then all of the sudden bang daily wear fashion makes a major move. I think of the 70's and 80's fashions that look to dated today but didn't at the time I was wearing them.