Buying Women's Trousers/Pants

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Buying Women's Trousers/Pants

Post by jamodu »

I have several pairs of Women's Leggings, which fit my proportions perfectly.

Having read the item 'Why Men are Buying Women's Wear" (https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... womenswear, I thought that I would buy a pair of Women's Trousers/Pants to try.

My proportions are 32" Waist and 31" Inside Leg. I chose a 'Regular' sized Women's Trousers/Pants from M&S (UK), with zip fly opening, and belt loops. The size guide identified 'Regular Length' SIze 14, with a 32" Waist and 31" Inside Leg. Perfect - or so I thought.

When they arrived, while the waist size was perfect for me, the Leg length was too long. I measured the inside Leg which indeed was 31" - but when I wore them they were visually too long and bunched up around my Ankles. Even so, you would be hard-pressed to readily distinguish them from Men's Trousers/Pants.

My Wife suggested that the Trousers/Pants were designed with Women's Hips in mind, which would naturally pull the Legs up proportionately to the correct inside leg length when worn by a Woman. The Trousers/Pants were returned to the store for refund. I will have to re-evaluate how to shop for the correct leg length when making a further purchase.

While the price I paid was more than acceptable; when looking elsewhere I came to the general conclusion that Women's Trousers/Pants are often more expensive than Men's equivalent. I can now accept this as one possible reason why so many Women choose to buy Leggings instead of Trousers/Pants. Even so, it seems to me at least that Skirts are often cheaper to buy than Women's Trousers/Pants.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Buying Women's Trousers/Pants

Post by Modoc »

Out of curiosity I have tried on women's marketed trousers and found them to be pretty much the same as men's as far as it concerns me. Men's pants can be brought in many styles and fabrics that are pretty much the same as women's. I like skirts and dresses for fit and comfort that can't be found in any pants. As of now, that means buying "women's"items or paying exorbitant prices for the men's skirts that I like which are available primarily online, which is another rub for me because I don't like buying clothes that I can't try on first. I don't begrudge anyone their clothing choices and in fact, am happy to support men who want to wear whatever items they wish wherever they find them.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

From my perspective the cost difference is the opposite as I do most of my shopping in charity shops. Racks of female targeted jeans and pants and only a handful of male targeted ones. Can never get leg length long enough though.

I wonder if the fit would be different. Would female targeted jeans on a male look like female targeted jeans or would the body shape over come the different cut? Mostly wondering if I could get away with wearing female jeans without arousing suspicion !!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

dressedbrewer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:48 pm I wonder if the fit would be different. Would female targeted jeans on a male look like female targeted jeans or would the body shape over come the different cut? Mostly wondering if I could get away with wearing female jeans without arousing suspicion !!
As soon as I had my own job/spending cash, I've only ever bought women's jeans. At the time it was the only way to get a bit of stretch (ie, some spandex content), nowadays you can get men's jeans like that. Certain brands offer "long" or "tall" sizes. As for being detected? No, unless there is some flowery or bedazzled design on the back pockets, then expect to get snarky comments, especially from family. It also depends on the cut - but I've never worn anything that was obviously cut in a "feminine" style.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I’m clearly not a typical man shape. I have a 34” waist and hips around 42-44” which is more typical female proportions. I don’t wear jeans now, but the best-fitting ones I had were women’s as a late teenager.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I used to buy women's pants and jeans because they were a better fit for my small frame and often had more stretch for comfort and better colours.
Those days have now gone now I mainly wear skirts and I have only 3 pair that I use on the few occasions when warranted.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

Coder wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:51 pm
dressedbrewer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:48 pm I wonder if the fit would be different. Would female targeted jeans on a male look like female targeted jeans or would the body shape over come the different cut? Mostly wondering if I could get away with wearing female jeans without arousing suspicion !!
As soon as I had my own job/spending cash, I've only ever bought women's jeans. At the time it was the only way to get a bit of stretch (ie, some spandex content), nowadays you can get men's jeans like that. Certain brands offer "long" or "tall" sizes. As for being detected? No, unless there is some flowery or bedazzled design on the back pockets, then expect to get snarky comments, especially from family. It also depends on the cut - but I've never worn anything that was obviously cut in a "feminine" style.
Obvious design details would be a give away, true, I will be sure to check the back pockets of any I look at!
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

dressedbrewer wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:34 am
Coder wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:51 pm
Obvious design details would be a give away, true, I will be sure to check the back pockets of any I look at!
I buy them because of the sparkles 😄 The lycra makes the skinny fit sit really nicely. I can't recall ever having had any bad comments either out or from family. People usually see me in skirts, so when I have worn jeans, occasionally people have asked why I'm dressed as a bloke... despite me wearing "women's" jeans!
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I started wearing Women's Jeans years ago, liked the variety of colors and fit styles Flared, Boot Cut, Straight, and Skinny legs. That styling is available in women's Pants as well including wide-leg or Platazo pants. I don't know the last time I wore a pair of "Mens" pants, jeans or otherwise.

I occasionally wear a "Mens" polo shirt or T-Shirt style top.

Finding brands that can handle my tall size, 34" inseam, is the main issue Torrid and others have Plus tall pants and I make sure to verify that the leggs will be long enough for me.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Reminds me of this scene from The IT Crowd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujGCGZqwaSc
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Stu wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:16 am Reminds me of this scene from The IT Crowd:

:lol: 8) 8) 8)
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Stu wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:16 am Reminds me of this scene from The IT Crowd:

That's hilarious, thank you for posting that. I needed a good laugh.

The IT Crowd was such a great series.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I’ve had better luck the second time around. To reiterate; I’m 5’ 10”, with 32” waist and 31” inside leg. I can shop at any Men’s clothing store for Trousers/Pants using these size parameters and I can guarantee that they will fit perfectly each and every time.

Last time at M&S ( UK) I opted for ‘straight leg’ Women’s Trousers/Pants. Despite them measuring well in my size, their 31” inside leg was visibly too long.

This time around, I opted for ‘slim fit’ Women’s Trousers/Pants in Size 14 (32” waist). Given my previous experience, I bought them in 29” (short), 31” (regular), and 33” (long) inside leg. They also sell 35” inside leg). Both the 29” and 31” lengths were visibly too short, while the 33” inside leg length was visibly perfect. Result. It’s odd that such an item of clothing that is factually too long actually fits in practise. While they don’t have belt loops I can live without them.

Besides, ‘straight’ and ‘slim’ fit Women’s Trousers/ Pants, M&S also sell ‘wide leg’ and ‘tapered leg’ fit Women’s Trousers/Pants - the latter is described as having ‘a unisex look’. I might try these next.

If only they similarly described their Skirts as having a unisex look, too.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Don't forget that some women's pantswear is designed to be worn with HEELS - therefore the increased inseam length.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I have no intention on wearing heels with my longer-length Women’s Trousers/Pants.

My observation is that most Women wear flats or low-heel Court Shoes when wearing Trousers/Pants.