It's with a heavy heart.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: It's with a heavy heart.

Post by Grok »

My condolences, Moon. My parents have been gone for years, as well as most of my aunts and uncles. One day I thought about, and I felt this weird void-before, there was always at least one generation in my extended family that was older than mine.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Thank you all. I will tell him.

As most of you remember Moon and his dad quit speaking about a year ago. Then his aunt was posting nasty stuff on her Facebook page about me and Moon. She stated that a home nurse would be coming in and taking care of his dad. His health had declined for a while.

We don't know what happened to his father. I was the one who broke the news to Moon. I searched up my father to see if he was still alive and then did Moons dad. Nobody from his father's side of the family had any respect for Moon to even tell him that his dad died. That's what hurts Moon the most. They cut me out of his dad's obituary as well which is something that his aunt is known to do to be spiteful. Moon blames himself a lot and thinks he should've been a better son. Moon was he loved his father very much. His dad just suddenly changed and that side of the family treats Moon and I so badly.

Moon and I are hopefully relocating to Washington State soon. We want a fresh start away from everyone and Moon accepted a transfer from Hobart out there.

Last week was also the week Amber left home and boarded a plane to start her life in Phoenix, Arizona so it's been a rough few months for us.

His father died September 15th 2023 the day before Moon accepted a transfer out to Washington.
Last edited by Elisabetta on Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

My condolences also, Moon. The passage of one's parents is a fact of Life, of course and one always thinks back on the last conversation with the departed. There is also the uncomfortable realisation that it's 'Me next'.

My Dad departed when I was just 29 (more than half a Century ago) and I hadn't really gotten to know him well as an adult. My Mum survived him by 23 years, a different life for her, but very enjoyable for her while the going was good.

Your have great support in Elizabetta. Cherish that.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Elisabetta wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:27 pmMoon and I are hopefully relocating to Washington State soon. We want a fresh start away from everyone and Moon accepted a transfer from Hobart out there.
Where in Washington? It's a big state, but it's also very, very pretty.
Last week was also the week Amber left home and boarded a plane to start her life in Phoenix, Arizona so it's been a rough few months for us.
It indeed has been a rough couple of months! Hopefully the worst of it is behind you. Advice would be to have Moon cut off the remainder of his family -- especially his father's side -- ASAP and don't tell them where you guys are relocating to.
His father died September 15th 2023 the day before Moon accepted a transfer out to Washington.
That was just ratty timing, but given what I'd been informed of the death was expected -- which makes it a little bit easier. Still not pleasant, but slightly easier.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

crfriend wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:40 pm
Elisabetta wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:27 pmMoon and I are hopefully relocating to Washington State soon. We want a fresh start away from everyone and Moon accepted a transfer from Hobart out there.
Where in Washington? It's a big state, but it's also very, very pretty.
It indeed has been a rough couple of months! Hopefully the worst of it is behind you. Advice would be to have Moon cut off the remainder of his family -- especially his father's side -- ASAP and don't tell them where you guys are relocating to.
That was just ratty timing, but given what I'd been informed of the death was expected -- which makes it a little bit easier. Still not pleasant, but slightly easier.
Stanwood, Washington.I was born in Tacoma, Washington and we left a day or two after I was born so never got to explore my home state so I'm going home.

As for his father's side of the family we cut them all off a long time ago. We were just nice to them for his dad's sake of living with them.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

That’s very sad news. My thoughts are with you both. I lost my father earlier this year. Never an easy time.

Take care

Ray
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Stanwood, Washington.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I think you will find a lot to like in WA. and on the edge of Puget Sound. WA is pretty progressive west of the Cascades. One of my SIL's lives in Snohomish about 30 miles south of Stanwood; and our daughter will be basing out of Sequim about 100 miles south across the Sound; and we will be pet-sitting on Cathlamet Island about 200 miles south on the Oregon border from mid-Nov until March, so there may be an opportunity to meet in person.

For me, losing a family member, especially my own father, with whom my relationship had been strained was especially difficult, wondering if I might have done more to ease it. I hope you find the strength and resolve to ease the pain and move on with compassion for all of you.

Keep us posted on the big move; and if you see a way to visit Cathlamet, or I to Stanwood, let's keep in touch.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Thanks all for the thoughts and condolences.

It's been a very.... interesting month. September 2023 will certainly go down in my memory as a month of many twist, turns, and upheavals.

I do not know at this juncture if Washington will happen. Procuring housing has been a difficult challenge. It's come down to researching RV parks where I can use their address to establish residency and domicile (I’ve already checked this through the Washington Board of Licensing, they allow that it sbould be fine). I have one I'm working on at the moment... more details forthcoming.

I will also have to modify my trailer for winter time use, including heat pads and tape for the holding tanks as well as fresh water lines. I plan to start on that this weekend if this RV park goes through. It's possible we could be leaving in as little as two weeks.

I visualize two "old hippies" such as us throwing what we can in the back of an old pickup and towing our small trailer clear across the USA. Stories and journeys like that make up the "soul" of American culture. Indeed, people write songs about this sort of thing. We'll see if it actually happens.

A song makes me think of the current chapter in my life, with Amber leaving, losing my father, a great relocation across the U.S., among other things....

There is a time for love and laughter
The days will pass like summer storms
The winter wind will follow after
But there is love and love is warm
There is a time for us to wander
When time is young and so are we
The woods are greener over yonder
The path is new the world is free
There is a time when leaves are fallin'
The woods are gray the paths are old
The snow will come when geese are callin'
You need a fire against the cold
So do your roaming in the springtime
And you'll find your love in the summer sun
The frost will come and bring the harvest
And you can sleep when day is done
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:55 pm Thanks all for the thoughts and condolences.

It's been a very.... interesting month. September 2023 will certainly go down in my memory as a month of many twist, turns, and upheavals.

I do not know at this juncture if Washington will happen. Procuring housing has been a difficult challenge. It's come down to researching RV parks where I can use their address to establish residency and domicile (I’ve already checked this through the Washington Board of Licensing, they allow that it sbould be fine). I have one I'm working on at the moment... more details forthcoming.

I will also have to modify my trailer for winter time use, including heat pads and tape for the holding tanks as well as fresh water lines. I plan to start on that this weekend if this RV park goes through. It's possible we could be leaving in as little as two weeks.

I visualize two "old hippies" such as us throwing what we can in the back of an old pickup and towing our small trailer clear across the USA. Stories and journeys like that make up the "soul" of American culture. Indeed, people write songs about this sort of thing. We'll see if it actually happens.

A song makes me think of the current chapter in my life, with Amber leaving, losing my father, a great relocation across the U.S., among other things....

There is a time for love and laughter
The days will pass like summer storms
The winter wind will follow after
But there is love and love is warm
There is a time when leaves are fallin'
The woods are gray the paths are old
The snow will come when geese are callin'
You need a fire against the cold
So do your roaming in the springtime
And you'll find your love in the summer sun
The frost will come and bring the harvest
And you can sleep when day is done

It will happen. All will be fine and we'll be smooth sailing soon. Be patient and positive.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

On this day, I overnighted a check to cover our first month's rent at a monthly RV park located on a small lake outside of Stanwood Washington.

After almost 43 years in Virginia (my entire life) October 13th (Friday the 13th) will be my last full day in the state.

I am excited, but at the same time, my heart is heavy. In fact as I think about it I find I can't help but tear up. I hope the pacific and western mountains are as beautiful as everyone says. I know I'll work out just fine in Seattle.

But let me say, Virginia will always be my home, I've got no ill feelings towards her. I will soon be able to say that I've called the two most beautiful states in the lower 48 home.

I fancy that my wife was born in Washington and carries a Washington birth certificate.

May the circle be unbroken!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Moon,

Glad it is working out. If you run into a hitch on the residency thing, holler -- our daughter just had to do something similar as she is "retiring" to do the nomad life in an RV -- but needs to maintain her WA residency for tax and health insurance reasons -- she found a Postal Box service that allows that, and it is recognized by the State D/L etc. I've done the a similar thing in OR with our D/L showing the UPS Box address, but notes on the record we are "itinerant" travelers; and the State also keeps our Voting precinct with that and any "physical" residence even if not used -- and we vote by email ballots, and our Medicare is good when we are in the US. The legalities can be a nuisance, but can be done. Our daughter has the latest info for WA if needed.

I find the whole of the Pacific NW lovely, and BC will be so close, including Banff etc -- you'll have years of good exploring. Boondocking is still real in some places but hard to pull off full time. RV parks are getting pricey, but popular and may have great common facilities if you can handle close neighbors. There are also a number of folks offering 'private' spaces on their farms or rural properties -- usually at reasonable long term rates -- not the short-term BnB ones. Good luck, enjoy -- and don't miss a lot of fantastic country in route!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Yes Moon, the Northwest has spectacular scenery. However, we have finished the transition into Fall. Tendency towards overcast skies, drizzle, rain, damp. Snow storms too, though fortunately winter doesn't get as bitterly cold as in, say, the Midwest. Summer here is the best anywhere-you will have something to look forward to next year.

Some transplants have troubling adapting to the local climate.

You will have access to the urban amenities of a middling sized metropolitan area, as well as to nature. The traffic sucks though.

There are a few members in this area, so there will already be somebody for you to meet.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Transplants can get questions answered by posting to city-data.com.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Dropping in, I see I've landed on your big day. Condolences on the loss of your father, and best wishes for your move.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair