US Senate dress code

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: US Senate dress code

Post by rode_kater »

rivegauche wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:16 am [...] You are making the meeting about you and your freedom of choice instead of promoting the idea/cause you are being paid to promote. [...]
This basically aligns with what I think: basically, the two places I think you really need to be careful with your clothing choices: weddings and funerals (unless they're your own). Because as you say: it's not about you so you should try not to stand out.

As for business meetings, it's just a psychological thing that if someone is trying to sell something to you, it makes an impression if that person demonstrates they have made an effort. So holes in the clothing is a definite no-no. I don't think a man in a skirt is a problem, as long as it's done in a way that is not distracting. And apparently nooses around the neck really impress people, god knows why.

Sure, you can wear whatever you like wherever, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to like it. Most of the time that doesn't matter, but sometimes it does.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Me thinks that a lot of you guys are missing a simple point. Men are forced to wear neckties and women are not. Women can wear an open blouse, or a shirt with nothing adorning their neck or a a tasteful necklace. If men do not have the same option, then the dress code in discriminatory. F**K the noose around the neck that serves no purpose but to project that you are a slave and cannot think for yourself.

In addition, most of the comfortable clothing that women wear in professional settings such as on Capitol Hill could be easily contrasted to men's smart casual clothing. Unfortunately men's smart casual clothing is not classified as "professional" as is the women's equivalent. The professional clothing that has been accepted for men over the past 150 years is the suit and tie or a tux. Women have so many comfortable options.

The dress code is discriminatory. Simple as that!~
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

I'm going to post something very radical here and it may be very out of context. Because women can wear dresses and skirts, why can't men. I've seen some very good and appropriate combinations of men wearing the classic shirt and tie above the waist, and a pleated or straight skirt below, with tights, hose, and the appropriate shoes. I know this would be shocking to some, but people lets get with the times, we're not living in the dark ages here, or are we?
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

To keep to items specific to this site rather than a generic argument about how conformity limits our vision and senses -- I point to India's PM Modi and his presenting in the highest political circles wearing a skirt; sometimes a kurta (long shirt, robe-like) oft, though not always, with a silk pant or legging. Maybe being PM gives you 'cover' for your non-conformity, but it does help point out that "respect" need not, nor should it be, based on 'following fashion rules. Nor is Modi making a statement about himself, but about values that honor his country's heritage.

Other's may prefer the Fijian Sulu worn by men & women, including as a police uniform to encode 'respect'!

Sadly, Decorum & Respect have become totally foreign to the current US Senate and House -- a good time to change their entire image! :D
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

There is a fundamental difference between cultural clothing and our situation. They are NOT rocking any cultural boats - we are. If I turned up to a meeting in a kilt it would raise eyebrows but as I am Scottish it would not be a significant issue. If I turned up in a skirt or dress it would - I speak from experience. I wondered if we were being too willing to comply with others' expectations and sensitivities by comparing our clothing with skin colour. No - the huge difference is that skin colour cannot be changed. We would be criticised for the choice we made when we got dressed that day. What you wear matters, whether you think it does or not. If you want to rock the boat my suggestion is you do it on your own time or talk to HR. Wearing a skirt in your own office building is not the same as wearing one to meet clients/constituents.

The two main public figures we have in the UK who wear skirts and dresses are Grayson Perry and Eddie Izzard, though Eddie has now gone down a gender diversity route as well. Both these figures are national treasures because of their talent, but also because they treat people with respect. We have a VERY off thing in the UK called the class system. It operates mainly in England but occasionally rears its head in parts of Glasgow and Edinburgh. Grayson did a documentary series on the class system and his programme on the working class was outstanding. So if you are as talented and loved as Grayson and Eddie - go for it - otherwise take care!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

It really irks me to no end the way men have settled into the DEEP rut of coat, tie, and trousers outfits for any formal wear. That's why I also.wear dresses for formal wear.
I attended a graveside burial ceremony wearing a black dress instead of a coat and tie outfit. Anybody familiar with summers in the Dallas-Fort Worth area knows they are brutally hot. So the heat was much more tolerable with the dress than a suit. And I.simply tossed the dress in the wash instead of having to face a dry cleaning bill for a suit. And, yes people accept my wearing of.dresses.

John
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

JohnH wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:29 am It really irks me to no end the way men have settled into the DEEP rut of coat, tie, and trousers outfits for any formal wear. That's why I also.wear dresses for formal wear.
I attended a graveside burial ceremony wearing a black dress instead of a coat and tie outfit. Anybody familiar with summers in the Dallas-Fort Worth area knows they are brutally hot. So the heat was much more tolerable with the dress than a suit. And I.simply tossed the dress in the wash instead of having to face a dry cleaning bill for a suit. And, yes people accept my wearing of.dresses.

John
by rivegauche » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:23 am

There is a fundamental difference between cultural clothing and our situation. They are NOT rocking any cultural boats - we are. If I turned up to a meeting in a kilt it would raise eyebrows but as I am Scottish it would not be a significant issue. If I turned up in a skirt or dress it would - I speak from experience. I wondered if we were being too willing to comply with others' expectations and sensitivities by comparing our clothing with skin colour. No - the huge difference is that skin colour cannot be changed. We would be criticised for the choice we made when we got dressed that day. What you wear matters, whether you think it does or not. If you want to rock the boat my suggestion is you do it on your own time or talk to HR. Wearing a skirt in your own office building is not the same as wearing one to meet clients/constituents.
John, I'm with you -- the rut is deep and the fears of treading outside of it are huge. How strange that "men" said to be so fierce, brave, and self-centered -- so, "masculine" if you will, have not got the balls to wear the clothes they wish -- even to drop the noose, never-the-less don a skirt. I confess I live in a rural region where the suit and tie culture is seldom observed and latitude is granted for of lesser means, but it is also a very 'macho' culture, and yet I have had no rebuke from wearing my skirts at funerals, churches, graduations, as board/member of community organizations, PTA type meetings, as a volunteer instructor at both private and public schools, to city council or meetings in courtrooms, quinceañeros, medical facilities, when arriving to do house/pet sitting that we do around the globe, and more. I cannot think of a single occasion when I felt my voice was not heard or was discounted, and certainly my patronage was appreciated.

I have little doubt that some, perhaps even many, think I am a bit "weird" in my sartorial options, but if you present, and if necessary, proclaim your choice respectfully to all parties as valid, your attire becomes as it should, meaningless to the substance of one's communication, talent, integrity or value. People worth their salt rise above the garb on their bodies. Yes, prejudices do exist -- I still struggle not to judge folks by tattoos, piercings and vulgar slogans on their clothes or cars -- & I mostly succeed with the first two! We all will have to choose our own comfort level with multiple cultural impositions, but when it come to "what we wear matters" -- that is true, but does it matter in a way that you should violate your own integrity to favor the perception someone else might discount your opinion or product? If you do, I"m not saying that choice is wrong, but you, and perhaps they, are saying that appearance alone is more important than what knowledge and aid either of you may bring to the table.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I add heels, nylons, makeup, and painted fingernails when I wear dresses for formal occasions. And my hair is shoulder length and I have a bust. And yet no one calls me a sissy as I have a deep masculine voice. It takes guts to be the only bass in a church choir with lots of sopranos and altos, particularly when a choral piece is unaccompanied. And being the only bass I have to project.

John
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The US Senate took a step backward and passed a resolution to return to the suit coat and tie for male members.
Good move !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

r.m.anderson wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:26 pm The US Senate took a step backward and passed a resolution to return to the suit coat and tie for male members.
Good move !
Bah, Fetterman should protest by wearing a skirt suit.

Also, I second the idea of wearing sponsorship logos - would align neatly with the predictions from Idiocracy.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:36 pm
r.m.anderson wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:26 pmThe US Senate took a step backward and passed a resolution to return to the suit coat and tie for male members.
Good move !
Bah, Fetterman should protest by wearing a skirt suit.
Nah, the "gangsta" look better suits him. He wouldn't have the faintest notion of what to do with a skirt other than chase it.
Also, I second the idea of wearing sponsorship logos - would align neatly with the predictions from Idiocracy.
It's good, but I think visible tattoos would be better. That way an observer would be aware of who bought this one or that one.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

r.m.anderson wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:26 pm The US Senate took a step backward and passed a resolution to return to the suit coat and tie for male members.
Good move !
While they're at it they ought to add powdered wigs for men's dress code. :D :D :D

Or, with all the LGBTQ stuff floating around, why not have two dress codes regardless of gender with these two choices:
1. Coat, tie, and slacks. Any person not wearing a skirt would have to wear a coat and tie.
2. Skirt, and hosiery. Any person not wearing a coat and tie would have wear a skirt and hosiery.

John
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I cannot imagine this.
JohnH wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:49 pm Skirt, and hosiery. Any person not wearing a coat and tie would have wear a skirt and hosiery.
The howls of protest would be the stuff of legend. That's not going to happen. Full stop.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:28 pm I cannot imagine this.
JohnH wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:49 pm Skirt, and hosiery. Any person not wearing a coat and tie would have wear a skirt and hosiery.
The howls of protest would be the stuff of legend. That's not going to happen. Full stop.
No and for another reason.
The woman would not stand for being ordered to wear hosiery.
Steve.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

For women who don't want to wear skirts and hosiery I would offer them the option of the coat, tie, and trousers outfit.

John