Dressing for Fall and winter

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
big_daddy_thong

Dressing for Fall and winter

Post by big_daddy_thong »

With the start of fall upon us, I'm looking for suggestions on what to wear. I have three denim skirts and one corduroy skirt just above the knee in length. I also have two below the knee skirts and a couple of kilts. I have several different types of leggings and tights in my wardrobe. I'm looking to mix and match the different leggings/tights with my various skirts so that I can continue to wear them in colder weather. What has any of the skirtcafe members done for this season?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dressing for Fall and winter

Post by STEVIE »

Hi BDT,
Never leggings but tights up to 100D, and knee high boots for starters.
Thicker and longer skirts, preferably woollen and topped of with layered knitwear.
Outdoors, a heavy woollen overcoat, hat and gloves.
Really just common sense actually with some fun thrown in by colour and variety.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Hi BDT the great thing about men in skirts is that we wear whatever we want. I'm a big fan of light soft skirt fabrics but not a fan of skirts that take off when the wind blows.
It's a case of trial and error. I have a couple of skirts that hold up well in a force 9 gale and some that would expose my underwear in a light breeze. Only wear trustworthy skirts in inclement weather.
As for the rest, I keep my core warm with cotton and wool, I don't wear polyester.
I always wear decent shoes, no straps shoes for me.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

There are quite a few threads on this subject, especially on leggings and their kin. Personally, I find simple half slips, regardless if the skirt is lined or not, can make a huge difference. Living in Costa Rica I do not have to deal so much with cold as heat; but travelling I still find comfort by merely selecting the length and weight of my skirt plus a slip along with whatever you'd normally select for shoes, socks, jacket, etc will suffice easily enough down to freezing (0C) and a bit lower. This winter we will be on an island in the Columbia River -- I'll get a longer test, and hope I don't have to eat my words!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

When it cools down I just might wear a man's coat and tie.outfit to church. And I would be wearing ***TROUSERS***, something I have not worn since mid June. Of course I also have dresses for cool weather.

John
big_daddy_thong

Post by big_daddy_thong »

Just a general follow up:
I'm getting bummed about going back to pants for the cold fall and winter season. But in the meantime I'll be wearing my skirts with tights for as long as the weather will allow.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Fortunately for me I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area so long sleeve maxi dresses are warm enough except for the relatively.rare extreme blue northern. As I stated now I can rotate in my man's coat and tie outfit. However the price I pay are daily highs of more than 38 deg. C/100 deg. F for months on end.

John
TonautBrom

Post by TonautBrom »

big_daddy_thong wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:47 pm Just a general follow up:
I'm getting bummed about going back to pants for the cold fall and winter season. But in the meantime I'll be wearing my skirts with tights for as long as the weather will allow.
Most thick tights here in the UK are black and I’m not sure I’m ready for that look yet. Any recommendations on winter tights (or holdups?) in a natural shade?
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

TonautBrom wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:56 am
big_daddy_thong wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:47 pm Just a general follow up:
Most thick tights here in the UK are black and I’m not sure I’m ready for that look yet. Any recommendations on winter tights (or holdups?) in a natural shade?
If you mean skin toned you might be out of luck. Also they look a bit weird. I buy navy 40d from Sainsbury but for quality and comfort M&S Velvet Touch hard to beat without going into Wolford territory - but they only come in black.
TonautBrom

Post by TonautBrom »

There must be degrees of weirdness going on here! Thanks for the tip though.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Snag tights is a UK retailer with both patterned (ie, funky) tights as well as normal/boring colors, and some bright shades as well. The nice thing about them - they sell in a wide range of sizes, and I can confirm that their products fit long legs. Prices are a bit high, but they do discounts the more pairs you buy, and they are quality.

A high denier or fleece pair with an insulated/warm pair of boots, and even the deepest cold weather here in the northern US I've not had issues walking from and to my car (~15 minute walk). They also sell fleece-lined tights that (hilariously) look like sheer tights - I have a pair but haven't mustered the courage to wear as they are a bit silly, and unfortunately don't come in long lengths.
TonautBrom

Post by TonautBrom »

Thanks Coder, some really nice looking options there. I see there’s one male model which is great. I’m pretty short (about 5-6) which is one less thing to worry about.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

big_daddy_thong wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:17 pm With the start of fall upon us, I'm looking for suggestions on what to wear. I have three denim skirts and one corduroy skirt just above the knee in length. I also have two below the knee skirts and a couple of kilts. I have several different types of leggings and tights in my wardrobe. I'm looking to mix and match the different leggings/tights with my various skirts so that I can continue to wear them in colder weather. What has any of the skirtcafe members done for this season?
BDT, you don't tell us where your live, but it shall be pretty cold before you cannot wear a denim miniskirt with thick tights under it and heavy shoes or boots and still fell most comfortable.
With a kilt and kilt socks = bare knees I feel fine down to minus 15 C/ 5 F.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I wear black tights (including some from Snug), as they feel more invisible than most. (Think of them as very skinny black jeans!) I also have dark green and dark blue, but I avoid skin-tones. Under a Scottish kilt I think they would work (as pioneered by King George IV in visiting Scotland), but with other types of skirt, they would seem to me much more direct markers of femininity (which is also why I avoid nail polish in red, pink, or orange).

My one pair of white tights I have worn in public only as a joke, with a tutu for a fun run. They would also go with knee breeches, but I would find it very hard to find a skirt outfit that I could use them with, as I think they would make me look as though I was trying to dress up as a woman.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Gerd,

The last time we had minus 15C./5 deg.F was in December 2010. It started on Nov. 27th that year when the sap was still in most of the trees and shrubs.
It killed all the Cordylines (tough palm trees) country-wide except in the coastal areas, also the gorse, a wild prickly yellow-flowering shrub found everywhere in rural Ireland.

We've not had anything like that since and the new Cordylines are 25+ feet tall. My Winter unbifurcated wear is thick opaques and a part-pleated skirt to about 4" above the knee. Sensible shoes, of course.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !