What do you think about Harry Style's style ?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
hommeurbain

What do you think about Harry Style's style ?

Post by hommeurbain »

Hi guys,
Harry Style is wearing very often androgyne, ungendered or feminine clothes and it makes him very seductive. What do you think ?
exemples here :
https://hommeurbain.com/comment-harry-s ... -le-genre/
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What do you think about Harry Style's style ?

Post by rivegauche »

I salute his decision to wear what he wants. But his dress on the cover of Vogue did him (and us) no favours - it was ridiculous. Everyone needs to be aware what suits them and this did not work for him. Styles needs a stylist?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Oh I think Harry has a stylist, a whole army of them is more likely than not.
However, what is "style" anyway, other than the basis of the guy's name, that is?
I don't go much on celebrity influence in any case, but I'd disagree with Rivegauche about the "favour" he may or may not bestowed on us.
"Style" is as much a false construct as saying that only men should wear trousers and women. skirts.
Purely subjective and a matter of opinion, the only rule should be suit yourself and have fun.
Harry Styles' fans would maybe just have an attitude toward men in skirts that goes beyond mere tolerance toward complete acceptance.
Who might we thank for that, I wonder?
The Vogue dress, good, bad or indifferent really didn't make much impact except for the fact that it did not contain a female body.
Steve
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:57 pm The Vogue dress, good, bad or indifferent really didn't make much impact except for the fact that it did not contain a female body.
I think it does more than that - it gets people talking, discussing, perhaps arguing about the issue - some would consider this "awareness".
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:04 pm I think it does more than that - it gets people talking, discussing, perhaps arguing about the issue - some would consider this "awareness".
Actually Coder, you are right and I stand corrected.
There was impact and it lay in the controversy over what he was wearing.
Besides that, he was the first male to make the cover page in years?
I wonder if anyone is still talking about the cover photo on the issue immediately following that one, awareness?
Good point and thanks.
Steve.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

OK - I rephrase. Styles needs a different (better) stylist.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

rivegauche wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:38 am OK - I rephrase. Styles needs a different (better) stylist.
I agree - a lot of his looks are disjointed and haphazard -> it (unfortunately) feels like outfits designed simply to shock the viewer. However... as much as I obsess over "matching" and putting together a cohesive look, some of those goals are simply an extension of following the crowd. The weird rules we have: don't mix patterns / plaids -> why? Choose colors that elongate your legs -> why? I could go on and on. There's even ratios (golden mean) that we must follow so that we are "aesthetically pleasing".

At the end of the day - whether I think his styles are good or not - if he is happy with them, that's all that should matter. His clothing "goals" are his and his alone, as are mine. The more we move towards forcing others to conform to our ideals, the further we move away from what we are asking - expansion of men's wardrobes.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Coder wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:46 pm
rivegauche wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:38 am OK - I rephrase. Styles needs a different (better) stylist.
I agree - a lot of his looks are disjointed and haphazard -> it (unfortunately) feels like outfits designed simply to shock the viewer. However... as much as I obsess over "matching" and putting together a cohesive look, some of those goals are simply an extension of following the crowd. The weird rules we have: don't mix patterns / plaids -> why? Choose colors that elongate your legs -> why? I could go on and on. There's even ratios (golden mean) that we must follow so that we are "aesthetically pleasing".

At the end of the day - whether I think his styles are good or not - if he is happy with them, that's all that should matter. His clothing "goals" are his and his alone, as are mine. The more we move towards forcing others to conform to our ideals, the further we move away from what we are asking - expansion of men's wardrobes.
Thank you Coder for your comment about 'style' being an extension of following the crowd. I too fret far more about if my top and bottom half choices 'blend' or look good. No doubt some things are more pleasing to the eye, but even that is often 'conditioning' from outside. In fact, it seems it is the more jarring matches of styles and colors, or skin, on the fashion runways that get the attention. So yea, let Harry and the celebrity influencers create the talking points -- we can fret about the style later!