Fired because of a skirt

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Fired because of a skirt

Post by Spirou003 »

Hello,

https://www.leparisien.fr/societe/une-e ... T46Y4U.php
I just found this article, which is not positive at all for us. It is in french, but here's the short story that happened in France.

A teacher went to a private school to give a lesson and was wearing a bermuda. In the middle of the lesson he has been interrupted by the direction because of his attire. He asked to see where it is written that it is forbidden but they did not show anything. He asked if a skirt is OK, they said yes. Then he did wear a skirt the next day, after what the direction did fire him. They did refuse to sign an attestation that his dismissal was motivated by his attire, and BTW they did tell to "Le Parisien" that no incident happened.

Ok, he was wearing the skirt as a sign of protestation, but it clearly shows that there's still a long way to go for men before to live in peace if they want to wear a skirt!
zjo

Re: Fired because of a skirt

Post by zjo »

Spirou003 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:23 pm Ok, he was wearing the skirt as a sign of protestation, but it clearly shows that there's still a long way to go for men before to live in peace if they want to wear a skirt!
I'ts quite hard to say what the actual reason for firing him was. At work I have to deal with self-entitled inviduals who have lots of power and I can tell that one thing they hate is public defiance. My first thought is that he was actually fired for questioning the rules in a way that is visible to others. Whatever the actual reason is this thing is wrong on so many levels and I feel bad for Vincent.

However, before men are able to wear skirts and/or whatever else they want, things like men getting fired for wearing skirts will happen and sadly need to happen. The only way these double standards will be abolished is to have public discussions about them. Someone will say men can't wear skirts and some other will ask why and when the debate goes long enough it will start looking more and more sexist and stupid saying that men can't wear skirts just because they are men. That's when we reach a point where some people will still think that men can't wear skirts but they don't want to say it aloud anymore so it becomes silently approved. The public debates will pave the way for more men to be open about what they want to wear or at least make some of them more curious as to what a skirt might feel like. The development will be slow at first but after a certain threshold it might accelerate quickly.

Fun fact: One of these public debates if how my skirt wearing started :lol: In the beginning I found pantyhose out of practical reasons and was quite anxious to tell my new girlfriend that I liked to wear them. She took it suprisingly well and showed me a picture of her male friend walking down the catwalk in a skirt and asked if I also own any skirts. I remember being envious of skirts in a wedding one hot summer eve more than 10 years ago but that was it so I just said that I don't. Anyway my girlfriends question stuck in my head and was there was like 2 months and I slowly started thinking that maybe I should also try skirts. The thing that pushed me over was one these public debates where some influental individuals said that men just can't wear skirts. I read the whole heated discussion one evening and something just snapped in my head and I started thinking that how the hell these people dare to tell what I can and cannot wear just because of my gender. The next morning I jumped in my car, drove to the nearest H&M and bought two skirts :D Yeah, I know it sounds stupid and I'm complete aware of my protests effect on the society in general but that's how people seem to work. Try to deny them something and they will definitely want to do it and can't stop thinking about it :D I would have probably bought a skirt at some point anyway but the public debate made me see the extend of the blatant double standard that we have regarding mens fashion freedom and since I can't stand injustice it made a fierce advocate for it.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Fired because of a skirt

Post by denimini »

I didn't read it as I suspect that it would be half a story and I doubt that I would ever hear the other half, let alone newances lost in translation. There is so much stuff out there and people get concerned about some rare and unusual incident. Perhaps I am lazy or don't have the mental energy to get interested or worked up about such things. I don't think it would indicate that there is a long way to go for men wearing skirts, personally I think the biggest obstruction to us feely wearing skirts is in our own heads and this stuff hijacks the synapses that otherwise would be used for more constructive pusuits.
Sorry Spirou, no harm in posting it, this is just my response.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia