The Doctor's dress

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

The Doctor's dress

Post by rivegauche »

I have not seen any of the dramas or films featuring Ncuti Gatwa, the new Dr Who. This interview is in Elle, and has a picture of the actor twirling in a leather dress. The article make a brief reference to men in womenswear but generally just takes the issue in its stride.

https://www.elle.com/uk/life-and-cultur ... le-awards/

Until the character was played by a woman, The Doctor was something of a role model for little boys - here was a character repeatedly saving the planet (or Universe) armed only with his wits and a sonic screwdriver. Usually only the baddies had weapons. Gatwa is gay, so it remains to be seen whether his clothing tastes will have any influence at all on the boys in the playground but as the saying goes, every little helps.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Doctor's dress

Post by STEVIE »

rivegauche wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:39 pm it remains to be seen whether his clothing tastes will have any influence at all on the boys in the playground but as the saying goes, every little helps.
Just a thought, but Jo Grant, Barbara Gordon and Lt. Uhura probably had more influence on my "leanings" as a kid than their male associates.
As for Dr Who, did the lovely Ms Whitaker ever wear a dress in the role, I don't know.
All the incarnations have had quirky non-conformist clothes, will the next one be allowed to reflect the non-binary gender-fluid days we live in today?
Do the current playground kids even watch Dr. Who or is it just a nostalgia fest for parents and their parents?
Time will tell or go ask The Doctor.
Steve
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

My favorite Dr. Who was played by David Tennant.
Great actor :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Huh, I somehow missed this news entirely, and I thought I was paying attention. I was mostly looking for the 60th anniversary specials. I read the next series has actually already been filmed. Let's hoped they found some better script writers than the last series...

One correction though: according to wikipedia he's come out as queer, which is not quite the same as gay.

Although, I never really saw Dr Who as a role-model, most just really cool stories to watch. And David Tennant is also my favourite :D
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

My only issue with Jodie Whitaker was that little boys would then lack the only super-hero (or is that a term copyrighted by Marvel) who wasn't violent? The only Doctor I have ever known people to dress up as was Tom Baker, who was my favourite until David Tennant came along. I think Peter Capaldi could have become a front-runner if he had had more time in the role.

I didn't know there was a difference between gay and queer - I apologise. One of my fears about getting older is the possibility of inadvertently causing offence because I can't keep abreast of the changes in terminology especially when old terms are phased out and replaced by new ones.

I have to agree about the scripts. It got to the stage where you looked forward all week to the next episode, yet at the end of every single one, you wondered what the H that had been about. Favourite ever episode was the one with van Gogh.

You are probably right about the modern Dr Who really being for adults. I used to watch Star Trek but only when it was Captain Kirk - I lost interest after that, so I missed the later TNG episodes with male crew in skirts. And I just don't do Star Wars.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:43 am I didn't know there was a difference between gay and queer - I apologise. One of my fears about getting older is the possibility of inadvertently causing offence because I can't keep abreast of the changes in terminology especially when old terms are phased out and replaced by new ones.
Quite frankly Rivegauche, neither did I.
There's nowt as queer as fowk no matter how gay they are.
A reflection on altered terminology and not with any offence intended.
I was severely criticised at work for using the N word and that was only to define its original meaning.
In either, Dr Who or the spinoff Torchwood, I seem to recall the Dr (Tennant) and Captain Jack Harkness sharing a steamy kiss.
My Doctor was Jon Pertwee and I don't think he ever kissed anyone, too busy saving the planet I guess.
Steve.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:36 am
rivegauche wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:43 am I didn't know there was a difference between gay and queer - I apologise. One of my fears about getting older is the possibility of inadvertently causing offence because I can't keep abreast of the changes in terminology especially when old terms are phased out and replaced by new ones.
Quite frankly Rivegauche, neither did I.
There's nowt as queer as fowk no matter how gay they are.
A reflection on altered terminology and not with any offence intended.
I was severely criticised at work for using the N word and that was only to define its original meaning.
In either, Dr Who or the spinoff Torchwood, I seem to recall the Dr (Tennant) and Captain Jack Harkness sharing a steamy kiss.
My Doctor was Jon Pertwee and I don't think he ever kissed anyone, too busy saving the planet I guess.
Steve.
I admit that the gay (or queer) kiss on Dr Who made me uncomfortable, but by my own arguments I am not entitled to feel uncomfortable about this still less complain about it. However I think the gay stuff is put into Dr Who for its own sake and not because it helps the plot. It is just Russell T Davies (or whoever) being self-indulgent about his own sexuality and putting this in the script because he can. Being non-heterosexual is OK, and being proud of it is fine, but rubbing people's noses in it isn't. It is a bit like these crossdressers outwardly dressed as men but wearing lingerie who get a kick out of ensuring female shop staff catch sight of their lingerie. Once you compel others to be part of your sexual fantasy you have crossed into abuse territory.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Am I the only one old enough to remember William Hartnell?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

No, you're not alone. I also remember the girl companion adding the dimensions of Time and Space to the commonly known set of three (Height, Width and Depth).
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

pelmut wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:11 pm Am I the only one old enough to remember William Hartnell?
No. I remember watching the very first episode in 1963. I was eight at the time.

I haven’t seen it in many years. It became so bad that my kids gave up on it when they were still kids.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Midas wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:54 pm
pelmut wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:11 pm Am I the only one old enough to remember William Hartnell?
No. I remember watching the very first episode in 1963. I was eight at the time.

I haven’t seen it in many years. It became so bad that my kids gave up on it when they were still kids.
I remember William Hartnell. I also remember resenting the fact that he had displaced Deputy Dawg.