Anyone can be a princess - conservatives riot

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Anyone can be a princess - conservatives riot

Post by Jim »

I like the post above by rivegauche. It's not that anyone can be a princess, but that anyone can pretend to be a princess. It's just as valid as pretending to be a witch or devil on Halloween.

We could argue whether trans* folks are pretending or something deeper, and both sides have some valid points, but the Disney thing is not about that, but that anyone can pretend.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Jim wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:16 pm I like the post above by rivegauche. It's not that anyone can be a princess, but that anyone can pretend to be a princess. It's just as valid as pretending to be a witch or devil on Halloween.
This is tangential to an article I found recently about a study of children who reported having a favourite Disney princess. It's specifically about the relationship between the depiction of the princess and how it related to the children playing pretend princess impacted self-esteem.
“Specifically, children whose favorite princess had a more realistic body (e.g., Moana or Merida) experience better body esteem the more often children played pretend princess. In contrast, for children whose favorite princess has a super thin body (e.g., Aurora, Cinderella), we did not find a meaningful relationship between playing pretend princess and body esteem a year later.”

[...]

While prior research suggested that boys and girls might be affected differently by Disney Princess engagement, the researchers did not find evidence to support this in their study. Therefore, they did not observe significant gender differences in the effects of princess body size on developmental outcomes.
So boys also benefit from playing princess just as much as girls do. And it has to be playing, not just watching movies. The caveat is that the children were 4.5 years old so the impact of peer pressure is not yet significant.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I have had my princess moments despite hving hairy legs and facial hair.

In summer I wear a "Princess Poly" mini skirt, of a skater style.

I have friends who I visit and stay overnight, the lady (in the true sense of the word) has a very feminine touch with decor and the bedroom where I sleep is no exception with frilly bedspread and multiple decorative pillows. In the morning they asked how I slept and I replied "Great, I felt like a princess". We all laughed and had coffee with no mention of my mini skirts of which some may have seen it as an opening for a comment.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

I doubt that the men in the original pictures would *claim* to be an actual princess at all - that's just the right-wingers' click-bait. They're merely wearing the costume of one of the female characters in the Disney films and no different to pantomime dames and the like.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

It is true that anyone can be a princess regardless of biological sex. If you dress like a princess and feel link a princess, then you are a princess. There are a lot of articles online about princess boys. There is no reason that a boy can't be pretty.